Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• edited July 2

• This tournament seems to be getting a bit shit.

Hopefully Austria can restore some joy,

• FFS (For Fuck's Sake)

• Unusual for teams to swap shirts before the game starts

• ...Austria then miss from roughly two inches out.

• Austria have been really disappointing. My favourite team in the tournament but they have not seemed themselves. Credit to Turkey, but Netherland v Turkey does not exactly set the pulse racing (though to be fair, England would get the winners).

• Now 0-2 too!

• Here we go

• Finally the game we have been waiting for, excellent. Well done Turkey.

• That save at the end was absolutely outstanding. Thoroughly enjoyed that game.

• Good save to end the game

• I am very confident England will make the final now. We have been very poor, but now we are going to see more open games, and I think that will play into our favour.

• In the tournament of the blind the one eyed team are kings.

• Looks like Germany's tactics for the big showdown with Spain amount to: "Kick chunks out of the opposition."

• Can’t believe this is a quarter final, we’re definitely in the right part of the draw.

• I know not every foul is a card…but quite a lot of these should be.

• edited July 5

This feels like Germany on penalties so far.

Spain not looking particularly dangerous despite wonderful two feet passes backwards and sideways. They'll get to the edge of the Germany area and refuse to make a pass, but then take pointless long shots that will never beat Neuer.

• LX1LX1
    edited July 5

Oh in length. Doh.

• If Germany hadn’t scored late against Switzerland they wouldn’t be in this mess…

• "He gives him a wee shove" says Ally. How is that possible?!

• edited July 5

Brilliant from Germany. I hope they win - Spain have been niggly, negative, and sat back after scoring.

Still four minutes for a crazy winner before ET, too.

• Kroos is getting away with a lot today!

• What a finish - Spain had to score or they would be massive underdogs for pens.

The sliding doors in football tournaments are always crazy - if Germany don't equalize in injury time against Switzerland, they are playing England and the Swiss would have had the Spanish.

Spain v England final, then.

• Interesting comment. In the last major tournament under Luis Enrique they were accused of getting to the edge of the box and NOT taking shots. They look much more dangerous this time around.

• Agreed, I think this Spain side are very different from the worst excesses of some of the “tiki-taka for the sake of it” sides we’ve seen that have been eliminated through their own relentless over-complication.

• edited July 5

It's funny how we see the same game differently - I thought Spain absolutely went to sleep after they scored until Germany equalized.

As for the long range shots, I kept turning to my wife and saying "how bad do Spain think Neuer is to shoot from there?"

I would still make them favourites, though. If Spain had the right mentality they would win every tournament, pretty much.

• edited July 5

France are so solid, but so dour and uninspiring. I find Portugal one of the most dislikable teams in history (Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandez and Pepe on the same team will take some beating) but they are so much nicer to watch.

Edit: I no sooner write that than France start attacking with flair and Portugal do the horseshoe of death every time they get the ball back.