Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• France v Belgium is the Super Bowl of not seeming like you care if you win.

• edited July 1

Belgium are such a weird team - loaded with talent, but waiting to go 1-0 down late to attack consistently. They always seem to go out with a whimper.

• Another piss poor game from two teams dreadfully out of form, surprised it only went for the normal 90, i really was expecting this to be the one to go to penalties.

• Jude Bellingham knows better than you, me, and everyone on this Gasroom how well or badly we played. He is also under instruction to not gather media attention by talking crap about his teammates. It's tournament football. The objective is to win.

If Wycombe win the league with 46 mediocre performances, do we sack Bloomfield?

• Well perhaps...

Of course the objective of any match is to win, BUT the fans have an absolute right to bemoan the quality of the performance as they have paid to be entertained, which is surely more than just winning, especially when you have the quality of players available to England.

• Slovenia getting hammered 0-0

• To be brutally honest, I'm watching England to see them win a tournament.

Being entertained would be nice but it's not essential by any means.

Don't deny it's been dire to watch, but I disagree that the fans who have travelled to these games would rather be entertained and lose than win playing the way we are.

I'll take three more wins like yesterday every time over champagne football and defeat.

• It's not out of the realms of thinking that the final could be France vs England. Neither, on current form, deserve it but it is a realistic possibility the way the draw has panned out.

• Maybe it’s just me but a tight game where you score a last minute winner always makes for a more entertaining experience than a comfortable 3-0 win.

• Just muted the BBC pundits how good does that sound

• Fair enough. Everyone's entitled to their view.

Walker did have a poor game.

I'm not saying we played brilliantly. Just that I think the reaction to the manager and the team at this tournament has been way OTT. We're undefeated over 4 games, yet everyone seems to think we're absolutely awful.

Winning a tournament is not about playing beautiful football. It's necessary to conserve energy, avoid defeat and have enough left in mid July to win the final (very possibly in a 120 minute game). Inevitably, that means the style of play will often be a bit caitious. France have been massively successful in recent tournaments and have played similarly cagey stuff.

It's also worth remembering that our defence is pretty weak. We're not in a position where we can risk leaving them exposed so there really isn't much choice but to prioritise minimising risk.

I think we'll see a slightly more attacking display on Saturday as Switzerland will come at us a little more. Thus far we've spent a lot of time knocking it around at the back trying to draw teams out, which they've largely resisted. Otherwise I'm expecting it to be pretty similar fare.

• I agree with much of the general thrust of this, but I still think we have been far below a kind of "tournament pragmatism".

We had the least shots out of all 24 teams in the group stages, in a group with Serbia, Denmark and Slovenia. Less than Albania, who had to face Spain, Italy and Croatia!

There is caution and there is utter lack of creativity and imagination.

• You just know with all the chances Portugal have had that Slovenia will nick it with a 1-0 smash and grab. Come on now!

• Turns out Bellingham has been a silly boy in the meantime. He needs to channel that passion! That sort of immaturity could prove costly.

• Been really impressed with the organisation & teamwork in defence of the Slovenians, they have pretty much nullified Portugal & at the same time have looked dangerous on the counter attack.

• It will perhaps make people look upon England's 0-0 against them slightly differently now

• I wish Sesko would have a pop a bit more though. He’s capable of scoring worldies apparently.

• This tournament is very dull.

• edited July 1

Does Portugal's failure to score against Slovenia make our result anymore credit worthy?

• For the pessimist yes. How many 0-0's have there been?

• Even Ronaldo can't score from the penalty spot.

• This is like eating a delicious meal

• edited July 1

Oh Sesko, no!

Both Slovs miss golden opportunities to win it at the death, one by a defensive lapse, one with a failed one-on-one.

• Wow a really entertaining 0-0 draw, the sheer joy shown by the Slovenian defenders every time they made a block or tackle or header.

• Anti climax in the penalties though ...

• Shame, but pretty much all down to Diogo Costa in the penalty shoot out

• edited July 2

People seem to be thinking that we defended a lead in a dull game in which the opposition never looked like scoring. I can take that style if it wins tournaments or gets you promoted. Except that wasn’t what happened in regulation time.

We were losing and never looked like scoring until we got lucky. Great but hard to get right goal and poor defending with seconds to go. You cannot say that was a result of a game plan.

We didn’t play dull but pragmatic football. We played poor football and if the players and manager really think we were ‘bound to get something’ then they are delusional. Or believe in this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction_(New_Thought)

I hope that behind the scenes their was a massive sigh of relief and this week will be spent on finding a way to ensure that performance does not happen again.

• edited July 2

Not immediately. But as Peter Taylor found out, even if you get promotion playing shit football, you don’t have much leeway.

And Jude doesn’t need to talk crap about his teammates to ground his comments in reality.

It wasn’t a good performance. It was one that got the result. Workmanlike. Effective? Maybe even that.

There’s entire dictionaries and Thesaurus’ full of words that could describe that performance without throwing anyone of his teammates or manager under the bus.

Good? Absolutelyfuckingnot.

And if we can’t have an opinion that differs from what a player that says, Drcongo may as well shut the forum down. Because what’s the point of a message board otherwise?

• Ah the Taylor era.

Was such a bizarre feeling when we played horribly late in the season, lost the last game I think? Then hung on to find we'd still gone up.

Still got us promoted, but played dreary hang on football to do it.