Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• Great show of how to withstand pressure & score on the break from Georgia, who are rather unbelievably 1 up

• They're a good attacking team, Kv... Is a very good player. You'd think the Spaniards will grind them down but it shouldn't be dull

• I did enjoy Dixon suggesting that we might be holding off on subs for extra time. Being 1-0 down with a few minutes remaining.

Maybe that's his morose sense of humour.

Georgia giving some cheer.

• Thank feck for my beta blockers .

Where do you start with that. We’ve played poorly in the group struggled against the 45 ranked team and we’re still in the competition.

A typical Southgate team performance.

P.S Looking sharp @Kim_il_Swan

• Rodri totally ruling the roost in midfield, orchestrating all that is good about this Spanish team

• I'm not so pessimistic about England. Remember 1966 when the team changed during the tournament and look what happened!

• Watch the podcast with Steven Bartlett. I think your opinion of him will change,

• Honestly, I think he's right. The performance was awful given the calibre of opposition, but we were largely the "better" team. We just couldn't open them up. Teams stick 10 men behind the ball against us. Better teams will not do that!!

What do we expect in tournament football? We are through.

Objective in qualifiers - win the group - DONE

Objective in the tournament group stage - win the group - DONE

Objective in the last 16 - win the game - DONE

This was the bit of luck that we have missed in recent years. We are playing badly and winning games. Let's get behind them. Yes, we have not looked good but we are where we are. Booing the team during games is ludicrous. That's not "supporting" your team! Embarrassing.

• LX1LX1
    edited June 30

I watched today's game in a university union bar with a bizarre mix of foreign students, English students/locals and international mix of older people who had wandered in from the event upstairs.

It was so refreshing to hear people joyfully clapping every success and 'awwing' at every setback. When we were all singing 'Hey Jude' at the end, I genuinely thought the little Chinese student next to me was going to pass out with pleasure. Such a contrast to the pub notes across England.

Edit..bores not notes. Beer notes are alright.

• That sounds perfect @LX1

• You think the performance was to quote Jude " Really good" before and after their goal?

We threatened in the final third throughout? How many shots did we have? Not shots on Target, simple, straight forward, speculative Shots? We were as threatening as my Grandma and shes be dead 20 years.

Jesus Wept.

• Ok, my question to you is.... do you think he's going to come out and fuel what we believe we should be seeing?

We created no chances? We won the game, hit the post and had a disallowed goal. Had we lost, everything you are saying stands as fact. But we won.....is there a problem with that?

• I agree with this. Ultimately, we face a lot of packed defences and low blocks up to QFs, where our lack of imagination hurts the most. I am actually optimistic that there will be more space against the Swiss, and that we will also play with more self-belief.

It will be interesting to see if that Bellingham goal ends up as a sliding doors moment, or just a delaying of the toilet being flushed.

• edited June 30

There’s a problem with sweeping the performance under the carpet just because we won, yes.

Bar hitting the post (which can be argued as to be on target or not) we had one shot on target all game. It was the 95th minute. And that offside was so clearly offside I’m more questioning Foden understanding of the offside rule than thinking it was a real chance.

Spain showed us later This evening that you can go behind in a game, but there’s a way to go forward and take risks (there were vulnerable to the counter attack) against a lesser team to try and win a game. We arguable had the players of the year in German, English and Spanish football in that 11 and the overall result was abject.

To Answer your question directly, i expect him to answer it in a way that reflects reality. Because that it least shows they aren’t deluding themselves into thinking that was a, and I quote, a really good performance.

it wasn’t. It was a shit performance with a positive result.

• I've always wanted us to be the team that somehow 'finds a way' when not playing brilliantly. Yesterday we did just that.

The mindset we have towards the national team drives me insane. So many people seem to revel in their failure. Had that been another top international team the narrative would be that they got hit on the break, controlled the game and then found a moment of inspiration from a world class player. When it's England the story seems to be that we haven't got a clue and got lucky.

I heard someone on the radio say Slovakia were the better team! Absolute nonsense. They created chances in the first half hr and we struggled to deal with the target man. Otherwise, they rarely troubled us and left a man unmarked 8 yards out in the 95th min - I'd be pissed off at Wycombe for conceding that goal, let alone an international team.

It was a hard watch for sure. I found yesterday very frustrating at times and I don't think the style will change, even if we go all the way to the final. But the idea that we're total crap and have no gameplay is nonsense.

• The last 4 games opposition wise has been like watching Wycombe . England or the big teams who should win and think they just have to turn up to win struggling to break us down and moaning when they draw or lose . We always congratulate teams that could do that. England have to find a way to get through this because it’s been embarrassing yes they are through let’s see what they do against Switzerland .

• I think I'm becoming out of touch with modern-day tactics. Even sides with as much talent as England seem content to spend half the game passing to each other in their own half with no apparent urgency to progress the ball towards the pointy end where they might actually score.

For a large part of last season Wycombe did the same and it bored me to tears. It seems to be the modern way - and I suspect this is how our young coaches are now trained.

After these sterile performances (even in defeat) you often find coaches pointing to data that supposedly supports their methods. I just don't get it.

• I haven’t seen Spain or Germany doing that Vital

• Indeed. Perhaps we should try the modern modern tactics.....

• Its rare that I disagree with @Glenactico as I generally find their observations on Wycombe games far, far more accurate and insightful than my own, but taking any positives from England’s ‘performance’ yesterday is well beyond my capabilities as a spectator.

Spain ‘got hit on the break’. England knocked it about aimlessly mostly around the back and the Slovakia goal when it came felt inevitable, giving the amount of poor passes we played. (As an aside Kyle Walker had an exceptionally poor first half).

We did ‘control’ the game after that but only to the extent that we generally passed from one static England player to another under little pressure to a team now content to sit back.

i specifically looked at the movement of players off the ball in the Spain - Georgia game after that and pretty much everyone was on the move in sharp contrast to the England players earlier.

(I will take credit for the win though. I had to leave to pick up a daughter from the station at 89 minutes so switched it off safe in the knowledge we could play for another hour without looking like scoring).

• The lack of movement from England players while the defence knocked it around was incredible. I still say this is what happens when you make your least mobile, least charismatic and least vocal player the captain.

• It was absolutely staggering. Literally one of the first things you are taught when you start to play football is that when you don't have the ball you need to move around so that the person that does have the ball has somone to pass to.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing

• I can't remember it ever feeling this fractured before. For Bellingham to basically say it was nice to stick it to some England fans, the disconnect feels like a chasm. The manager and players all think they are playing well, the supporters think they have been abysmal, etc.

This all feels set up for a 'how Euro 2024 was won' documentary 20 years from now.

• I can't remember it ever feeling this fractured before. For Bellingham to basically say it was nice to stick it to some England fans, the disconnect feels like a chasm.

A reflection of the state of the nation, buddy.

• Rich elite's contempt for downtrodden proletariat?

• edited July 1

A reference to Jude Bellingham’s equaliser.

He scored a virtually identical goal for us, didn’t he ? Can’t remember who it was against.

• Nice! It was the first goal away to Bedsheet Brigade FC.