Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• edited May 12

Nesta Guinness-Walker is a bit of a weird one for me. His move to Reading in the summer of 2022 caught me a little by surprise as he didn't really stand out whilst at AFC Wimbledon. Unlike Jack Currie, who looks a real talent.

Steve Evans bigged him up after signing him on loan for Stevenage in January but then rarely started him ahead of Dan Butler.

Somewhat predictably the culture reference here sailed over my head.

I’d be keener on signing Nick Tsaroulla from Crawley Town but he’s more of a wing-back than left-back and I think it’s unlikely Matt Bloomfield will revert to a back three next season.

• I always feel a little inadequate in these threads. I suspect we will sign say six players this summer. I expect to have not heard of probably five of them (before looking them up on Google) and even then will not be able to instantly judge whether or not they will be a good signing. I am afraid I have no view on whether Grimsby Town's current left back would be a good future signing, what his contract situation is and whether the fact that his wife once lived in Holmer Green makes him likely to accept a chance to play for us. I am rather in awe of those who do seem to know.

• I have a lot of respect for these guys who create threads of players they have scouted for their teams. Some deal deep dives. Never know whether this is real knowledge or based on CM games.

• Annual post from me declaring my desire for us to sign Amari Miller on loan from Leeds.

I think he would be an upgrade on Chem Campbell!

• @glasshalfempty I agree on Currie. That Dons production line is looking pretty impressive, isn't it, in recent years. Also, of course, we have no idea as yet whether we are still shopping in the bargain basement, for rough diamonds or in the footballing Fortnum's, I guess.

• I'm still hoping that in the short term at least we are bargain basement shopping with a view to getting the development squad firing and the academy up and running. Worse case scenario we become a target for ambitious agents who pump up the prices on every potential signing. Knowing that Dan Rice is on board at least makes me think the owners have a grown up in the room to tell them that this player is NOT the answer to every problem.

• Surely Matt and his team will make the decisions as to who we sign? Although San Rice has the top job, his experience has very much been at academy level. I

do feel that for the next few years we are going to have to not only bring in academy players but a mix of experienced players as well.

• Dan Rice is Director of Football, Blooms answers directly to him.

• We're going to go all passing-it-around-our-own-penalty-area, aren't we? Strewth.

• Yes I know but it doesn’t mean that Rice will actually select the players for Matt.

I expect Dan to be working with Matt to ensure players taken on fit the required profile.

However, at the end of the day, I expect Matt to be putting the players he wants forward and then working with Dan etc to get them in.

• I hope so. I’ve got nothing to base this on but they seem to be cut from the same high performance, growth mindset cloth.

• I think Matt & Dan will be working together in order to bring the players in for the squad. Matt will give Dan a wishlist and it'll be Dan's job to make it happen. I'd like to think that when it comes to signing a player that Matt will get final say on the matter and that he isn't surprised by new faces at the training ground

• edited May 13

https://twitter.com/efl_hub/status/1789967521262518314

No sources linked to the tweet but it claims that Bartolo is being monitored by Reading, Gillingham, Grimsby and Mansfield. I'm not sure how Reading expect to pay him though. Grimsby is a move with potential considering the Gibraltar link through manager David Artell - if he does join Wycombe that could be a loan destination for him.

Jaiden WAS spotted at a Reading game towards the end of the season though, so perhaps he has been attending trials at these clubs as well as Wycombe.

• Pretty sure this is already a done Wycombe deal

• Well until we get the official announcement all we have is speculation. Hope it's true though as he seems like a big talent.

• edited May 13

A big talent in terms of size too, I think. Certainly heightwise. Already over 6’ at 18.

• Seen him compared to Isak and Ibrahimovic in terms of how he plays. If he can be even a fraction of that in terms of talent he'll be a good signing. Sooner it gets confirmed and the sooner he gets to playing in pre-season the more we'll know about how much he's likely to play. Before that he'll probably be part of the Gibraltar squad playing Scotland and Wales in June, and with him, Jessop, Scanlon and De Barr all probably there you'd hope they might try to attack.

• I’ve not seen him play and his goal scoring record for Wealdstone U19’s and U23’s was very impressive.

However he was signed to the first team squad in mid December and trained with the first team for the rest of the season. Having seen him train the manager choose not to select him for any first team matchday squad at a level two below League One.

He might be one for the future but I can’t see him troubling our first team for the next season or two if he did sign.

• I thought he wasn’t selected due to the contract dispute?

• I read a post from a Wealdstone fan either on X or on their forum about it.

• Interesting to note that Posh look to be signing a youngster from Welling after a recent trial. The article about it suggests that they can’t officially announce until 14th June when the transfer window opens.

• Not really a rumor - more speculation and musings but apparently Reading has run up 2.8m in loans against Bearwood Park in just a few months.

Perhaps I am missing something, but doesn't it seem crazy to anyone else they are running up these loans to more than 10% of what we were going to pay unless they have plan to cover them some way? I mean, the club is obviously losing money hand over fist without someone putting money in. Even a new owner won't want to put in money to the sums of 2.8m every few months unless they have a plan to plug that hole in other ways - Like selling off assets that are costing them money.

Now, if a businessman that was looking to grow the footballing standards in, say, the former Soviet republic and needs to build branches there and in the UK, you could still be tempted to buy that asset.

Tl:dr Reading are haemorrhaging money still. Loans are being racked up against Bearwood.

Could a sale still be on the cards?

• £80m in debt. Unwilling to release their assets for cash. Desire to gain promotion. Players in 2 and 3 year deals. There is no obvious desire to reach sustainability unless you consider that word to be finding another sucker who you will abuse in 3 years time for not bank-rolling you again.

• Their delusional fanbase think this is a good thing tho.

• Without that money from the prospective new owners they would probably not have completed the season. Short term its a lifesaver.

The majority of debt is owed to Yongge so if he wipes a vast amount of that off before the sale (which will have to happen to make the club saleable) then they are probably a much better prospect than we are long term. They have a world class training facility and a large stadium with a fanbase three times the size of ours.

I suspect both clubs will have very interesting summers and probably not what we would both hope for.

• Reading fans are baffled why their club is struggling to attract investment.