Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• Tony Horseman turned down a trial at Forest as he wasn't interested in going pro

• He looks very slight in the pictures that I have seen. However there is no doubt that Kone has benefited from being a full time pro as he has definitely bulked up even in the few short months he has been with us. But as said above it's not a career for everyone.

• Back in the day when top flight pro wages weren’t quite as far ahead of the average wage as they got from the from mid-80s onwards. From accounts that I have heard I reckon the Bodger aversion to training wouldn’t have gone down too well in the pro game but Clough was a well known pragmatist, the licence to be unfit and generally uninterested that he gave Robertson on account of his doing the business on matchday suggests that Forest might have worked for him. Our gain for certain there

• Simon Garner was the spiritual heir to Tony Horseman. I feel privileged to have seen both play in the quarters.*

Hard to imagine in the brave new world of AI analysis (or whatever the hell it is) either would be allowed to succeed.

*I am not 100% sure I did see Bodger actually play in the quarters as a year after my first game we changed to light blue shirts dark blue shorts

• Come on @kipper .... we are relying on you for this round of rumours.... any insight for us this time round?

• Yeah, has anyone actually seen him play?

I know plenty of guys that are good for teams at that level but doesn't mean they can make the step up.

• If he’s only 18 I think it’s worth taking him on for a season or two.

• Joe Rafferty, Sean Raggett, Charlie Wyke. Just a few League One players out of contract perhaps worth looking at?

• Very smart movement and a good finisher. 52 goals last season for Wealdstone's youth teams.

• Wealdstone Youth to Wealdstone first team is a massive jump. To League One is even bigger.

The questions are,

• has anyone seen him play? (Youtube does not count)
    • what makes us potential suitors? He's never played adult football.
    • Wealdstone and Gibraltar are miles off our level. Will he be playing regularly enough to force his way into our first team?
    • Does he know the "Wealdstone Raider"? Thinking of the extra publicity he could bring with him.
  • Athletic Newham is further off our level than Wealdstone. Goal scorers are goal scorers.

• Richard Kone couldn't play at a higher due to his immigration status, not because of his talent.

• Of course. But this guy is 17, suggesting that he’s not exactly had a lot of time to move up the pyramid.

• From what I've heard this kid is a genuinely exciting prospect and he's heading our way having been training with us for a while

• I wondered why Micah Obiero (who Wealdstone also just released) sounded so familiar, then I remembered he was absolutely ace on an old version of Football Manager, helping my virtual WWFC side to many a promotion.

• That'll do for me, a promising 17 year old on a free is surely something we can take a look at without him having to tick all the boxes. Definition of low risk.

• Yeah been training with Wycombe since at least March - technically left Wealdstone early in April after returning from international duty. His younger brother is quite well regarded too but stayed at Wealdstone, he's been courted by the Maltese FA and I've heard Sri Lanka wanted them both too but were unsuccessful - Jaiden made his senior Gibraltar debut in March while Kai recently switched to Malta.

• I feel like you won't agree but I'm not sure playing international football did TJ too many favours in his development. Inevitably Gibraltar were either chasing games or getting thrashed and he had very few chances at goal. He was always pretty good at being a pressing or defensive forward but needed goals and end product.

It's an experience you'd never want to take away from a player though and I'm sure he went to some places and learned some things.

• At least Gibraltar are in League D in a group with Liechtenstein and San Marino this year. They'll be heavy favourites and be expected to attack every game (there's a lot of pressure on Julio Ribas to stop playing so defensively against teams of a similar level, especially given the attacking talent coming through via Bartolo, Liam Jessop [Chesterfield] and James Scanlon [Manchester United])

• Any rumours relating to Wycombe signings ?

• Evidently not. We all get so impatient during May and June, don’t we. I’m just the same and I’ve lived long enough to know better!

Bearing in mind that most contracts expire on 30 June, I’m tempted to follow the @Wendoverman approach (I nearly said philosophy) of giving the Gasroom a break until July.

But I’m damned sure I won’t do it.

• edited May 12

So far I have seen five…

Luke Southwood (Goalkeeper), 26 - out of contract this summer but suffered a broken leg on the final day of the season playing for Cheltenham Town.

Josh Edwards (Left-back), 23 - out of contract with Dunfermline Athletic this summer. Linked with several clubs including Blackpool and Oxford United.

Ben Krauhaus (Midfielder), 19 - signed for Brentford from Bromley in January 2024. Possible season-long loan in the offing.

Jaiden Bartolo (Attacker), 18 - out of contract with Wealdstone this summer. Was offered a new deal but strongly rumoured to be signing for Wycombe.

Ruel Sotiriou (Attacker), 23 - out of contract with Leyton Orient this summer. Has been offered a new deal. Rumours from East London of an interest from Wycombe.

• Sotiriou would be a great signing.

• Thanks, @glasshalfempty. Ought we to be interested in Nesta Guinness-Walker? For those fans of The Man in the White Suit and the BBC Smiley adaptations as much as for his skill and pace.

• @Twizz interesting take on the thread title. I’d always thought of it like a pepper grinder type mill, others perhaps might visualise a water wheel?

I know you are a long way away from the gentle folds of the Chiltern hills but have you ever visited the post mill at Brill my favourite, although Lacey Green and Chinnor are also fine structures.

• edited May 12

If you want a good windmill go to Holland, if you want to see the northern lights go to the arctic circle. Unless…….

…..with the weird W European weather at the moment, get a bogoff deal from those crazy Dutch whilst stocks last!

• @perfidious_albion, I can almost see Adams Park on a clear day so you must have me confused with someone else.

Can't say I have ever been to Brill Windmill, although Pitstone Mill is actually closer. A trip for another day ...