Skip to content

Squad contract situation

Comments

• He's a little bit like humpty dumpty who keeps sitting on that wall. Either we need to stop him from sitting on the wall OR get new Kings Horses & Kings Men to put back together quicker!

• Was stood next to Taf's brother queuing for the bar in the garden of the Green Man. Someone else nearby asked him if Tafazolli was starting against Peterborough, and he replied something along the lines of 'he's not starting, but he's fit, read between the lines', and walked off.

I don't know if he was just annoyed that he wasn't picked in favour of others, or if he was trying to imply he's not staying beyond this season.

• I would read between those lines that he's not fit.

• Blooms made it abundantly clear that he selected Forino and Lonwijk ahead of Low and Taff because he wanted quicker players in defence to counteract the threat of Peterborough’s pacy wide players. Taff has subsequently regained his place, looked fully committed and played well. No hidden agenda here.

• The lines I assume he is referring to is the start and finish lines in a running race between Taf and Forino. He's a super centre half when fit but horses for course and I'm surprised his brother doesn't know that

• It wouldn't be a transfer window if we weren't worried Taf and/or Forino were leaving.

• Taf has been a bit of an enigmatic figure, but I am a huge fan. Turning circle of - insert large vessel here - aside, I think he has been absolutely brilliant for us, and will be gutted when he moves on.

• edited April 18

Couldn’t let this one pass

“I’ve seen milk turn quicker”

I’ll miss him as well

• It's a good job you'll both miss him, because if you hit him he'd shatter.

• We have been so lucky since January that we have had Taff, Low, Lonwijk and more recently Chris Forino to pick from.

Nigel Lonwijk can also play the left back role, as can Luke Leahy and Jack Grimmer can also step into the centre back position if needed. Also Jason McCarthy back from long term injury to cover the right back role if needed.

Then there is Vincent-Young (who was playing superbly), Jasper Pattenden (who had a decent early season run in the team) and Saxon Earley, who are all injured.

Taking the above into account, we probably have the best defence options we have had for many a season.

• Great post, and I think having flexible players throughout the team really helps a club of our stature punch above our weight. When you have Scowen and Butcher who can probably both play from the 4 up to the 10 and Wheeler who can play anywhere, it really helps with covering the bases.

• Speaking from personal experience, I can confirm it's better to be flexible! @Shev

Being stiff (no laughing in the back row) and unable to bend to put on socks anymore, without assistance, is a big issue. Can only imagine it would be worse for a footballer to be in that position.

• Whilst Taff is capable of playing at a higher level, I imagine he is one of our higher earners. It will be a case of whether:

• We keep Forino and/or Low, and sign Lonwijk/other
    • We are willing to take a gamble on his fitness
    • Others are willing to take a gamble on his fitness

For the first time in a long while, I won't be as bothered if we lost Taff as I would have been in the past. Top player when he's fit - but perhaps money better spent on keeping what we have and adding Lonwijk.

• Good points, though I think Taff has been pretty fit most of this season, and has missed out more often owing to rotation.

• I’m not sure Lonwijk’s a realistic proposition tho. Surely both he and Wolves would rather see him in the Championship.

• We wouldn’t get him back if they are looking to loan him out again.

If they decide that he’s not going to make it with them they may decide to let us have him but with a large sell on. Similar deal that got us Joe Low from Bristol City.

• I would love to see Nigel join us for next season but have to agree, it’s unlikely. If Taf will sign on league 1 wages or at least less than he’s on at the moment then it’s a 4 of him, Forino, Low and Scura for me. Grimmer more than capable too. Forino signing is key. Sign a quality left back and sort the GK situation and we will be very hard to beat when you consider that midfield 3.

• Agree about Skura. Hope the injury yesterday isn’t too serious.

• Forino gets a new agent.

https://x.com/smi_world/status/1782090236492673462?s=46

Read into that what you will. Might do an Anthony Stewart turning his head onto greater things or might be sensible and know that he will continue to develop at AP.

• On balance I’d say that was bad news

• While Forino, Taf, Low and Longwijk is a superb set of options, surely none are a given to be here next season.

We turned down at least one bid for Low, so surely they'll come back, unless we can get him to extend his deal, otherwise we're 6months weaker in bargaining power.

Forino, unless we've pulled a blinder and signed him on and not released it, has to be a real threat of going too.

Taf - can we afford him,

Longwijk in the balance too

• Spot on about Forino - if we have not signed him by now, it's hard to see us beating out others in the summer. It really is a shame we could not get something for him, but at least we got to see him play another 20 odd games this season, and like Anis, he is not a million miles off 100 appearances in the quarters (80 something).

• His last month or so shows what we'll be missing.

Less so the decent length spells where he was unfit. That'll have to be factored in by a new club.

• I would take just knowing Joe Low is still going to be here at this point.

I also am convinced there will be some 'Anthony Stewart back to Wycombe as a rotation option' rumours this summer. It ticks every box as a transfer window cliche.

• Has he been long term injured, still at MK?

Wonder if time has moved on now.

• Hasn’t played since October, not even on the bench since February.

Hopefully he can tell Chris Forino the grass isn’t always greener.

• He definitely could, but on the other hand if someone is offering Forino 2 or 3 times his salary it might be a one off opportunity in this game.

• edited April 21

No hint of discontent from Forino in his post match interview on Tuesday, gushingly positive about the way the club develop players; thought his comments about imposter syndrome were interesting (as someone who still suffers from this to this day I empathise hugely).

• Would any player say "yeah i'm looking around, it's been a pretty average year for me personally"?

• No but...