Skip to content

Squad contract situation

edited April 17 in Football

Per COTN, this is where we're at with contracts heading into the summer.

Contracted until at least summer 2026:

• Scowen
  • Leahy
  • Kone

Contracted until at least summer 2025:

• Butcher
  • Hanlan
  • Pattenden
  • Young
  • Skura
  • Ward
  • Clark
  • Shala

Possibly out of contract this summer (hooray for the policy of not disclosing contract lengths):

• Ravizzoli
  • Low
  • Sadlier
  • Vincent-Young
  • McCarthy
  • Lubala
  • Shepperd

Definitely out of contract this summer:

• Stryjek
  • Grimmer
  • Forino
  • Tafazolli
  • Wheeler
  • McCleary
  • Vokes
  • Mellor
  • Wakely
  • Woodhouse
  • Jacobson (presumed retiring)

It's a mystery:

• Cavana

Comments

• edited April 17

Of those we know are OOC, I'd be offering deals to Grimmer, Forino, Wheels, GMac and maybe Taf.

• From the definite list...

• Stryjek - probs going by his own hand anyway
    • Grimmer - new contract
    • Forino - new contract, as long as he wants
    • Tafazolli - new contract (unless we sign Nige)
    • Wheeler - new contract
    • McCleary - new contract (he gets younger and fitter)
    • Vokes - depends on budget and 'demands'
    • Mellor - file under swing and a miss
    • Wakely - potential but might be victim of the competition being so good
    • Woodhouse - I can't comment, haven't seen enough
    • Jacobson (presumed retiring) - statue

• Can't see Grimmer going anywhere else or Gmac If he wants to carry on, the others, they maybe might want a change of scenery whether we like it or not

• I'd imagine we've got Lubala for another year at least. I can't believe he would have turned down the contract Burton offered which would have made him their best paid player for just 6 months at Wycombe. But yes, we can't be sure I guess with the current policy of not disclosing contracts lengths.

• If we don’t disclose the length of contracts then how can you be sure that this list is accurate?

• It's not entirely, hence the clarifications - I've pulled the info from Paul's list on COTN.

• In fairness, out of the uncertain ones, I'd only be panicking about losing Low. Would like to keep Sadlier and Bez.

• Sadlier and Low are must keeps surely.

• I agree, surely Bez signed for more than 6 months. Would be insane for him to take that risk and move without some security. He’s surely here next season

• Surely we’d have signed Low on more than a one year deal.

• I'd be very surprised - and disappointed - if Low, Sadlier and Lubala were not all signed for next season already.

• I suspect Taf has either signed an extension or is hoping for one. Thought he looked completely disinterested this season until a few weeks ago when he suddenly started playing well. If we can #KeepNige though, I don't think we should offer Taf a contract. Forino, Low and Lonwijk have to be close to the three best centre backs in the division.

• I may have dreamed it, but I thought it was presented as a three year deal at the time of signing.

• I can't imagine us keeping Big Chris, unfortunately. We missed the opportunity to cash in during last summer. No way he signs up as a free agent when he is so very good.

• You probably did! The only way any of these lengths are known is if they signed the deal before the policy of secrecy began. The others are based on a minimum extension of a year. I assume Gasman has assumed Bez only signed a short-term deal, but I imagine it will have been at least 18 months.

• @drcongo I agree those three are a hell of a collection. Annoyingly, two of the best in L1 this year both play for Portsmouth... and they've been practically ever-present.

• Ronnie Edwards at Posh will play for England one day

(Josh Knight isn't bad either)

• The guy from Bolton who plays like a sweeper for them, but was missing for our match up there, is worthy of a mention too (if only i could remember his name)

• I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Low on just a year's contract as he was very unknown when he joined. However, you'd hope the club installed a extension clause into his contract so they could exercise that right

• We have made a big thing of developing players and then selling them when the right offer comes in. It’s the financial model for the club. So cannot believe Forino is being allowed potentially to go on a free. Perhaps he has a one year extension clause that hasn’t been communicated. Fingers crossed.

• Langstaff from Notts County would be a great addition alongside Kone. Notts signed him for £50K some two or three years back. I think he has one year left on his contract after this season. Mind you he broke the National League scoring record last season and has 27 so far in League Two this time around.

I would imagine bigger clubs are already circling though. I can dream.

• Derby's Cashin, too, has always impressed.

I think there might be some hope with Big Chris this time round, just because he hasn't actually featured that much this season, due to injury or being 3rd best option at the time.

• From the who knows the length of their contract list, I sincerely hope we have a 1 year option or the following were on multi-year contracts:

1. Low
    2. Sadlier
    3. Lubala

Of the OOC list would love us to secure the following

1. Forino
    2. Grimmer
    3. McCleary
    4. Wheeler

As for the others I think Shepherd, Wakely & Woodhouse may get retained because they will be on relatively low wages plus their age, however I cannot see any of the rest (Max, McCarthy, KVY, Taf, Vokes, Mellor, Rav or JJ) being here next season in a playing capacity.

This would give us 26 players on the books, but with clear needs of a first choice LB & GK, back up wide forward, another striker thta would take us to 30 - not sure how many of them are under 21 & therefore do not count to the squad limit?

• He would be an immense signing and a real signal of intent. Mr L get your chequebook out!

• He is made of paper though so maybe he's been struggling and is finally fit just in time for his holidays. Very good on his day but I probably wouldn't chose his health and wellbeing advice if scrolling through YouTube.

Not sure Forino is as well known in the game as we think he is, really hope he renews, would like all of the centre backs to stay. Ainsworth would take him like a shot but might struggle to have a job in time, and one with enough money and status to persuade him to move.

• 100% this, or it'd have been very risky turning down the bids we know we received from at least one club in January.

• If only Taff we’re made of paper we could fold him into an origami centre back, unfortunately he is made of glass.