Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Kamara on loan from Norwich. They got lucky with a quality loan signing, like us with Eze

• Ok, Kamara was a constant threat but he was given the freedom of “his” area of the pitch and should have been much more closely marked/stopped in his tracks at the risk of a yellow card much earlier than the minor assault late in the second half by Freddie Potts.

• edited March 30

If I was a betting man…..

In any case, my chances of being around at the end of next season are apparently not great.

”Nothing special” seems a rather churlish description of a club poised to collect the highest number of League 1 points for ten seasons.

• I'm really sorry to read that about your health, @micra, and needless to say I hope that does not turn out to be the case!

• I thought that was unlike Freddie who is a skilled player himself but I’ll put it down to frustration.

Anywho we more mature Gasroomers need you to stick around, the number of people on here that have never heard of the Beverley Sisters is quite staggering.

• Were you near the Portsmouth Boxing Club group in the main stand?

• Agree with most of what has been said about the game but would like to make a special mention of Lubala’s performance, I thought he was outstanding and is proving to be an excellent signing. The acquisitions of him, Butcher and Leahy (felt for him yesterday, given a torrid time by Kamara but got woefully little cover) will see us start next season with some very good League One players.

• As others have said, no shame in losing to a very decent Pompey team yesterday. Kamara was very good (although helped by playing against a fill-in full back), but I thought Saydee was also excellent and Bishop was clinical. They were well coached, and clearly had a plan to push Ogilvie high up on Grimmer and create space for Kamara on the other side. What really marked them out as a good side in my opinion was that they didn't create loads of chances, but they have a man who can score when they create them. And they knew how to see the game out once they were ahead, and particularly at 3-1. You know you've played a good team when Scowen doesn't dominate the middle of the pitch.

As to how they'll do in the Championship, I'm not so sure. I don't think they were as strong as Ipswich last year, or Sunderland two years ago. But I do think they were better than the Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham teams which have gone up in recent years.

• I agree but Leahy was totally exposed throughout the game and to be fair to the lad he has said he doesn’t want to play at fullback. There was certainly a mis-match as Kamara took him to pieces, as he was left one on one time and again.

We have suffered from having injuries in the left-back position and hopefully that could be resolved next season.

• I think Leahy didn’t help himself to a point. Constantly getting in to a central area of the pitch. Kamara only had to hug the line to get acres of space to run into.

Easy in hindsight but surely a full back should be getting tight to the winger and give him as few opportunities to get on the ball as possible.

• On the matter of Leahy’s exposure to the rampaging 20-year-old Abu Kamara (on loan from Norwich City), I think it was a graphic example of the vulnerability of not having an established left back (not of course as a result of poor planning, just sheer bad luck with injuries etc) exacerbated by what I saw as an uncharacteristic lack of cover from Ryan Tafazolli. (I had to check whether he was playing.)

Ogilvie on the left flattered to deceive but was kept relatively quiet by the combined efforts of Grimmer and Longwjk.

• Luke Leahy is an established full back, having played there for a substantial chunk of his career.

• I think points wise Pompey are on a par with (or slightly ahead of) Ipswich’s record last season. I don’t think they will emulate Ipswich’s achievements this season in the Championship but I certainly don’t think they’ll be relegated.

• I don't think Vincent Young would have fared any better against Kamara yesterday - defending not being his strong suit.

I think we need a new first choice left back next season.

• A likely scenario is that Potts is replaced by Leahy in midfield because we sign a left back.

Must add that I thought Kone’s assist was exquisite yesterday. Very challenging to get such a perfect weight of pass off with your weak foot inside the opposition area.

• It can't be entirely Leahy's fault that he was constantly left isolated against Kamara in acres of space.

It was either a mistake in the way we set up to play, or a failure to implement a different set-up.

What was more surprising was that we never reacted to the situation during the game.

• @micra , may you live long and prosper.

And, if you fancy a trip to AP but have difficulty getting there, I'll be happy to give you a lift. Just message me with the details.

• Stay as positive as you're being Micra. Great to hear that whatever life throws at you you're still determined to live it to the full. That's an example that we should all strive to follow.

Also lovely to know that this old place, with its absurd characters and ridiculous discussions is something to brighten up the day. I agree with you, I'd hate it if it wasn't around

• Exactly what Eric said. Long may you be here with us.

• I’m not sure he has a weak foot - he’s put in a few fantastic crosses with both already in his short time here.

• edited March 30

Next match is away to Blackpool at Bloomfield Road.

And the name of our manager is Matt......Bloomfield.

Coincidence? WAKE UP, SHEEPLE

• Glad to have you with us @micra and long may it continue.

• I’m hoping to get up to Blackpool on Monday with the family. I take it we can get tickets on the day as they are not appearing on our site any longer and no mention of all-ticket?

• Micra, you are a survivor and as I always say when asked how I am ‘Above ground and breathing’ is a result once you’ve reached a certain stage in life. You are also a voice of reason on this site (except when discussing the merits of Sam Vokes!) and I look forward to reading your sensible and balanced views (not to mention grammatically correct) for a long time to come.

• Really appreciate all the words of encouragement.

Very kind of you, @bargepole, to suggest helping me to get to Adams Park but I gave up going to matches three and a half years ago because I was having so many episodes of Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT) either walking to the stadium or soon after arrival. I lost count of the number of times I had to have medical attention and on a couple of occasions I wound up being taken by ambulance to the Cardiac and Stroke Receiving Unit at Wycombe hospital.

So thank you very much for the offer but I enjoy watching matches on my laptop in the place where I feel safe and can deal with episodes when they occur (as one did earlier this evening from 6.45 until 8.15). I have to lie down and drink up to three pints of water to restore normal rate and rhythm. But it’s exhausting and micra’s midnight musings will be given a miss tonight !

• You have done well @micra , I myself am awaiting an operation date to remove my prostate which is cancerous. All good fun.

• Good luck to our Gasroomers…please stay strong, we appreciate you.