Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• It was a bit like the X files, I saw him run on and then he disappeared.

• second half was poor. Players keeping one eye on Wembley perhaps. Tried a cheeseburger for the first time will not be trying another one.

• Portsmouth were too strong for us today and we gave Kamara so much space in allowing him to run at us and get involved in the first two goals.

On to Blackpool.

• Biggest bunch of cunts I've ever seen at Adams Park this afternoon. Whatever the club earned from giving the 6:57 crew those three boxes above the family stand I hope it was worth it

• Except whenhe falls to the floor like he's been shot after holding onto the ball after a goal and the oppo trying to get it back

• The only thing Campbell has done was win the penalty at Reading. Apart from that, I can't recall anything else that he has done for us except disappoint

• It is the profound irony of our season that it was such a key moment! I still don't feel safe till 53 points, but that penalty sparked a three game winning streak that has us on the cusp.

• That was brave with Wembley only nine days away.

• edited March 29

I thought 1st half we played really well. 2nd half was poor, and even poorer after Scowen went off !

Fair play to Pompey, you can see why they are up the top, a good team, their right winger was top notch ! MoM easy.

Agree re Campbell, really can't see what he offers, and I think Kodua is better.

Franco has been good last few games, but he looked really weak today, didn't fill me with confidence at all, maybe time for Max to come back in now. Also, I know Lonwijk scored a good goal a few weeks ago, but is he really better than Forino ?! ... no he's not, what was that header back into the area for their 3rd goal ?

• I'd imagine we're for life without Forino next season, and trying options of what we could do in the summer

• Kamara was superb today. I can't remember us being terrorised by an opposition winger that badly since Kemar Roofe for Oxford many seasons ago.

Not much more to add that hasn't been said already but thought we played very well against an exceptional team. Don't ever like to single a player out for criticism but Campbell coming on felt like going down to 10. Other than his cross into the back of the terrace he did nothing except watch the ball go over his head.

• Kamara was more or less unplayable

• The look Vokes gave him after he’d blocked a player so Campbell could run onto the ball, but instead he stood clueless as the ball went out for a Portsmouth throw in said a lot. The man isn’t cut out for league one football

• Beaten by the better team today. Frustrating that we really gifted that 3rd goal at a time when the game was in the balance.

Thought taking Scowen off was strange, he'd had an excellent game and there was a real dip in the overall performance after he left the field. Overall I thought we gave a decent account of ourselves. We were just a bit off it defensively, which against Kamara and Bishop on that sort of form was fatal.

• Pompey were streets ahead of us today. Kamara - what a player, he looked like a Rolls Royce purring around the pitch. I advised my brother in law to put a wedge of Pompey winning the league at the start of the season so he’s very happy at the moment! As always fantastic away support - fair play.

• Cheers mate - looks like you are a win or two away from sealing it, and good luck in the Champo once you do!

It has been an uneven season for us, but Blooms has gradually found his feet, and we have more of an identity than we did at the start of the season after a summer of massive change.

• Thank you, very gracious. Kamara has been a bit of a revelation this season - I'm pretty sure we weren't envisaging him playing as much as he has (we've been ravaged by injuries all season)- but I can't think of (m)any better performances from him than this afternoon; just a shame we've only got him on loan.

It really feels like you've kicked on as a club in recent years; one of the few previously non-league 'graduates' who seem to have really progressed; and, imo, all the more impressive given that some of that has come from supporter/supporters trust input.

• You’ve also got a fantastic striker in Bishop. That was the most well-rounded performance I’ve seen from a striker in League 1 since Ross Stewart and Ivan Toney. His second goal was the highest quality goal scored against us all season.

• He's a terrific striker at this level - but that's high praise indeed. He's had a bit of grief from some sections of our support this season, though even when he's not scoring heavily he works so bloody hard.

I've always rated Brandon Hanlon really highly - I know he's out injured at the moment; you must be missing him a bit?

• Bloomfield had a lot of faith in him prior to his injury. He felt like one of the manager’s favourites. It was a shame to lose him, even more so in the vile circumstances of the 110 minute Stevenage home game. I don’t think we’ve regularly seen him at his best yet. A real shame, but here’s hoping he can have a fresh start next season.

• Sorry you lost, LX1, but here's a signed match ball in way of compensation.

• Thank you - trying not to get ahead of anything - we've had a couple of false dawns since getting back to L1 so I'm very cautious. I think it's testament to Bloomfield that he's weathered that bit of a storm earlier in the season (and testament to your board that they didn't panic). I hope he/you are able to kick on.

• I know it’s tradition but that f*ing bell! how do Pompey fans put up with it, if he sat near me the only time you’d hear it was when he broke wind.

• I think it's a great testament to Mousinho that you're doing so well.

Coach in his first proper season, huge influx of talent in the summer, I was sceptical at some pundits tips of you being league favourites, but fair play to every one involved.

• Haha. I'm in the Fratton End (which is where he sits) but sat far enough away that it's not an issue - it also helps that I'm partially deaf; although having been situated there for a while I'm now wondering whether it's cause or effect!

I'd (diplomatically) say he's a bit of a marmite figure with the overall fanbase.

• Lots of noise when he was appointed. I'll be honest, I thought the club had gone absolutely mad appointing a novice, but he's been a revelation.

That said, it felt like his appointment was very much the club backing our sporting director Richard Hughes - who most feel was behind it. The latter has a big role on the recruitment side as well as Mousinho - between them they've assembled a really decent group on top of some decent players who were already here. Mousinho also seems to have a decent network around him with the coaching as well.

I can't quite believe how well this season has panned out so far. Even if it goes to pieces in the last six games it's still likely to be above and beyond how most of us envisaged it.

As I said upthread, thought you were a bit unlucky to catch us on such a good day - I suspect you'd have got something on several other afternoons this season; thought you looked like one of the stronger opponents we've faced this season.

• Beaten by a very good side but not battered. I’ll take that. Chem was poor but no significant injuries and it made sense to rotate out Scowen with the cup approaching.

We’ll pick up enough points to be safe, no doubt about it.

That cowbell is fucking annoying, I’d take our currently banned drummer over it.

• They will be relegated next season. Nothing special

• Absolute disgrace. I was warned by the stewards for over celebrating our goal for fear of provoking the Pompey. Joke. We took a few grand and surrendered.