Skip to content

Bloomfield Out?

Comments

• edited January 24

I agree that polls on platforms such as this are nearly a temperature take of how some supporters feeling at a particular time A chance to let off steam if you will

however for every supporter on the gasroom,the vast majority of whom love the club and instinctively probably hate the idea of changing a manager as often as other clubs, there are many more I would guess let’s say ,more casual supporters ,who will simply stop coming with the resultant loss of revenue. It is already happening with our pre-existingly small fan base

once you start to lose supporters, it is very difficult to bring them back. Also the club have advertently exposed themselves to many s/t holders considering withdrawing simply by stopping a direct debit as opposed to seeing out the season

we have now a deadly combination of expensive prices poor results and largely boring matches.

from a financial point of view, both long and short term, this has to be taken into account making a decision about a manager who I feel regrettably has consistently shown he is not up to the job and more importantly, probably never will be. I say that with a heavy heart

• Has anyone suggested that this poll will have a genuine impact on the club's decision? It feels like you're just winding yourself up here.

• I think pretty much everyone who has posted a comment realises that, in itself, they won't make any meaningful impact on the manager's position.

However, we are expressing our opinions which is perfectly valid and if it allows us to vent our frustration ahead of what is a crucial match on Saturday I'm all for it.

FWIW, I'm sure that Pete an hence Rob and Missy are well aware of the views of WWFC fans on social media. I also believe their opinions will carry some weight as will the opinions of the senior professionals in the squad. If the feeling that Pete gets is that Matt has lost the faith of both the players (I think they are still with Matt) and supporters (no better than 50:50, and quickly turning against Matt) then he really would be a brave man to stick by Matt till the end of the season.

Noone has suggested that they wish Matt to fail, but it seems pretty obvious to many that he isn't succeeding!

• I've been informed by the owner that a poll of 90 anonymous blokes on the internet is split 55/45 on my management of this club. My contract has been terminated with immediate effect and I'm off to key that orange Mustang in the carpark on my way home. Cheers, ta.

• edited January 24

The sad thing is that we are very good defensively (I am being kind and taking out our opening two games and calling them "gelling" games):

2021-22: 51 goals against (1.11 goals conceded per game).

2022-23: 51 goals against (1.11 goals conceded per game).

2023-24 last 25 games: 1.20 goals conceded per game.

2023-24 last 25 games without injury time: 0.84 goals per game.

So we are every bit as good defensively as we have been under GA. I do think we need to acknowledge that, especially the "Blooms can't manage at all" camp.

However, cover your eyes for the attack stats:

2021-22: 75 goals for (1.63 goals per game)

2022-23: 59 goals for (1.28 goals per game)

2023-24: 30 goals for (1.11 goals per game)

So we basically have a defence that has held firm, and if it were not for our late panics, would even have better stats than the prior two seasons...but an attack that is deteriorating season over season, beginning last season and degrading further this season.

• I'm not vociferously Bloomfield Out but if there was a magic button to get rid of home without any financial drama, then I'd press it.

It's not even the results for me, it's the tedious nature of the football. Had all the dull draws been 2-2 and all the dull defeats been 4-3 then I'd believe that we are not much lower than we are entitled to be.

At least under Gaz, the sometimes grindball produced results and we had some great matches along the way. Previous managers have gone for lesser losing runs and entertainment reasons.

• Shev old son, I know you like to look on the bright side but sides who are "very good defensively" do not consistently concede late goals. They just don't

• All of these bullet points are totally fair. I think we all get excited when we see some of the recruitment but then the reality hits - how does that fit together? And the answer is it doesn't. We are now top heavy, middle light and left sided invisible (assuming JJ is there only to make up the numbers as it would appear that Bloomfield would trust ANYONE but him to play the position he had made his for a decade).

Performances like last night will continue whilst the manager cannot communicate a coherent vision of what he wants. In other words a few decent individual performances but not good team performances as players are not linking up. Defence is not linking with midfield and midfield is not linking to attack. Its a mess.

Like most of us we have family members sharing fixture calendars and saying 'oh Peterborough at home, you can't make that date for xxxx'. In recent weeks I've been happy to say 'don't mind missing it'. And that sucks. That really sucks. And I am a dyed in the wool fan, is it any wonder the fickle fans aren't showing up to spend their money?

• Mrs W booked a trip away on the Saturday of the Oxford game...she said offered to cancel and rebook but unusually I told her not to bother...perhaps my subconscious is far less optimistic than my heart!

I daresay I will be there on the stats as I have not torn up my subscription...but I will actually be on a cold beach in Dorset,

• edited January 24

If even our loyal fans like you (midweek or aways aside obviously) are starting to look got better options that's worrying.

• During the process of buying the club Rob asked Gaz “just tell me you won’t get relegated” - this prompted by the revelation of the jeopardy to any business model of playing in a lower division. Gaz reassured him that would not happen.

As and when Rob (or Pete) eyeballs Blooms and asks the same question does the Gaffer stare back in the affirmative or shuffle his feet and look down at the floor?

• Did Rob specify which year? As we did get relegated under Gaz.

• We’ve left it far too late to retire Vokes. Easy to blame Blooms’ tactics, but when your top earner and main striker has a lower goals per 90 than Alex Samuel where are the goals supposed to come from?

• I will return refreshed and revitalised for the playoff push...

• edited January 24

Some pretty desperate fishing this last 24 hours.....no-one's biting old chap

• An incredible winning run that has even the most stubborn gasroomer admitting they were wrong about this mere 1 year bad spell.

• I won't be fishing...probably just walking the dog on the beach

• Hopefully theyll have had the underbeach heating on.

• Hang on, I thought you only needed a 52/48 majority to call it the will of the people, never to be questioned!

• Is there an oven ready manager with 320 million quid ready to go and does he need us more than we need him?

• Under no circumstances will I be asking for Matt Bloomfield to be sacked as manager of Wycombe Wanderers.

I have seen at first hand (and am far from alone) the dedication and professionalism Matt brought to Wycombe Wanderers as a player.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt he hasn’t done the same as manager. He has shown incredible loyalty and deserves the utmost respect in the circumstances.

I believe Matt has been shown respect and loyalty from those currently in charge of the club, given our current predicament (one win in 16 league matches).

Most clubs would have already made the decision to change the manager. In fact the five clubs currently above us in the table have done so, as have three more clubs below us).

The current situation is desperate however and cannot be allowed to continue for much longer. The loss of our League 1 status will bring significant consequences, not least to those currently in charge of the club.

Any decision needs to be made in best interests of the club as a whole. No one individual is bigger than the club itself.

• An exceptional post

• he showed great loyalty but so did the club , its not like he had queue of clubs chasing him , he was an ok player , a great person but an appalling manager ....and this is his job, like he has been ruthless to some players, Rob needs to be ruthless and give blooms his P45...if blooms had love for the club he would actually hand his notice in

• edited January 24

I appreciate where you are coming from, but if you look at goals conceded in our last 12 league games with 11 men on the pitch (going backwards from yesterday):

1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 0 (0.92 per game)

Goals scored during those same games:

0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 (0.42 per game)

We are averaging less than a goal per game conceded in that spell, even with three of those being in injury time! Yet our only win is the one not listed (because we had ten men instead of eleven). If you could have games based on averages, we would have lost the last 12 games 0.92-0.42, which surely shows where the problem is!

I agree the late panics are a huge issue, but I don't get why people are blaming our defence overall. If we could score more than a goal per game even every third game, we would be 8-12 points better off during this stretch and looking very safe!

Someone referenced Vokes and McCleary probably being angry yesterday. I would posit that they have no right to be. Of course we should NOT be conceding so many injury time goals, but we are always skirting with disaster when we cannot score ourselves!

I know Blooms has responsibility for the attack too, but I feel like I am going a little bonkers when everyone is pointing at the defence as such a major issue. If we could hit the proverbial cow's bottom with a banjo, those injury time goals would often be mere consolations for the opposition!

• edited January 24

During Matt Bloomfield’s playing career he didn’t give up after rupturing his anterior cruciate knee ligaments in March 2008 and missing eight months following knee surgery.

He didn’t give up after missing more than a year between August 2012 and August 2013 with a pelvic shear.

It took the fifth concussion in less than four years for him to retire from football, and even then it was on medical advice.

I really don’t think Matt is just going to give up and resign after less than a year in the job, especially having played under Gareth Ainsworth.

• Someone else on here posted about bringing Dobbo back as assistant manager, and I think this could have real merit to it. Dobbo's ability to analyse the opposition and overall tactical awareness would be invaluable.

Plus I think it would give a degree of separation from the players which would give Matt more of sense of authority, which I think is missing right now. I’m not sure the team see him as the boss, more as a mate. MO’N left the day to day coaching to Walford and Robertson, but there was no debate as to who was the boss on match day. If anybody didn’t do what they were supposed to, they were told.

Matt needs help right now, and Dobbo would be just the shoulder to lean on, plus he loves the club through and through. We all saw the tears when leaving for QPR.

• I completely agree @glasshalfempty. Matt has given this club his life’s work and we should be particularly cognisant of that. I’ll never sing for him to go or boo him. He has my unwavering support at games. It’s only in this intangible virtual world where I will give my honest opinion. I really hope the Couhigs’ patience pays off because there’s very little to be positive about right now.