Skip to content

Bloomfield Out?

Comments

• The presence of Pete after a long period of absence can’t be a coincidence. He is the one owner who understands the game and is connected within the EFL game. An iron fist in a velvet glove.

• Correction, it could be a co-incidence.

• I guess it might come down to a choice of wanting to honour our wonderful servant Matt Bloomfield or retaining League 1 status. A lot of people are extremely loyal to Matt and that is a wonderful sentiment to be applauded, on the other hand there are statistics to suggest that nice guys finish bottom 3.

Whilst it might not be apocalyptic to be relegated if next January we are playing Mansfield Town on a Tuesday night we might ponder if loyalty was the right decision.

Personally, and with regret, I see no evidence that Matt is improving as a manager/coach and is capable of getting the best out of this squad. The counter argument of 'come on, its Matt Bloomfield, he's lovely' is strong I get that and if at the end of the season we can get awarded 10 points for having the nicest manager I'm on board.

The lack of leadership begins on the touchline and runs deep in the team. We have talent, just very little heart.

• edited January 24

I take issue with anyone saying we are "mid table" as if it's remotely acceptable. We aren't "mid table", we are right in the mix of a relegation battle and I think the club collectively needs to recognise that, and fast.

Over the last 12 games (around a quarter of the season) we are 21st with 8 points from 12. Fleetwood and Carlisle are the only teams below us in the table who are on worse form, the other is Charlton, who sacked their manager last night.

Cheltenham who are currently in 22nd place has 18 points in the same period of time. Reading in 21st place have 19 points in their last 12 games. They are chasing us down every week.

If we cannot win at least one of our next 2 games, I'd almost guarantee we will be in the bottom 4 by the end of February.

• The Facebook page is the home for this kind of nonsense, a ‘scientific survey’ that targets a very small proportion of the fan base.

• Personally I didn't vote, but I will voice my opinion. And my opinion is very much a head v heart scenario.

• Obviously the "scientific survey" is a bit of gallows humour, but why can't we discuss and consider whether the manager is up to the job?

• Ed_Ed_
    edited January 24

For me it comes down to the age old question of finances. Even when this was a members club the members were never allowed to know the financial health of the club, we have been on the brink of administration and not been informed. It took an insider from Causeway for us to ever find that out, so we will simply never know whether the club can afford to sack Matt Bloomfield or not. It seems the only plausible reason to me that the board persist with him.

• If we're playing Mansfield next January it probably means we've stayed up

• Solid, mid-table pick

• It has been discussed in great detail over the past couple of months, if your survey reveals that the majority of those who voted want him out , what difference do you think that will make to the situation?

• edited January 24

Palace are a few points from the drop and face the bottom team in their next game and, according to The Guardian, have told Hodgson that failure to win will mean he gets sacked.

Are you listening, Mr Couhig??

• My issue was posting a pointless survey that will do nothing to change the situation.

• I don't think the intention of the survey was to change the situation

• I think its very sad that no-one is allowed to express an opinion on the Gasroom. Pages and pages of bland neutral posts..it's wokeism gone mad. Stop stopping us discussing the qualities of the manager or I will be forced to get a season ticket next to @Blueword and @davecz . Thanks Rob!

• Free crisps? I'm in...

• That would make for some interesting discussions!!!

• I consider the gasroom to be a much more sensible forum for debate than Facebook or X where they revel in these simple ‘Bloomfield in or out ‘ options, allowing no room for any kind of nuances. I don’t believe it’s a binary choice at this moment.

• I believe the vote was set up to acquire a general consensus but I don’t believe there is one person on here who would like to see Matt fail.

It is key to remember that GA had Dobbo as his No.2 and he was arguably the brains behind the partnership. Yes, GA got the teams together and handled the characters and came up with many inspiring team talks whilst building the culture.

So, maybe Matt needs a better team around him and just maybe Dobbo is the answer, to come in until the end of the season alongside Matt.

• I think ‘in or out’ is binary. He’s either manager or he isn’t - unless we demote him in some way?

All joking aside, I am still just about in the Bloomfield should be given more time but if we don’t get 3 point or more from our next 2 it has to end. I’ll be very sad but to be honest, less sad than if we go down under him.

• I’m not naturally disposed towards sacking managers, especially when performances are not awful and we’re not getting smacked, but respect the views of most pro-boot posters, who seem to be laying out their frustrations in a respectful way (with the odd exception of course).

If we can carry on that discussion without the need to claim that either group are idiots or clueless, it’s all good.

• 83 have voted so far so I assume they don't think it was pointless!

• I think if people could see even a hint that there was some improvement they would back Matt to the hilt. Instead we have:

1. An apparent lack of leadership on and off the pitch,
    2. Players not seeming to respond to the coaching instructions.
    3. Failure to suitably recruit to plug obvious gaps/weaknesses in the squad.
    4. An apparent lack of any attacking cohesion or system of play.
    5. Tactical errors match after match.
    6. No evidence of incremental improvements over time.

All of this is down to the management team and a failure to impose themselves on the squad. This is not at a professional level I'm afraid, I'm talking here about people who do this sort of thing for a living. Something needs to change.

• We'll probably beat Fleetwood (I've probably jinxed it), but that only takes us to two wins in 17 - which plainly isn't good enough as it is, but look at the fixtures after that... I'd be surprised if we're any better off than two wins in 23 (i.e. half a season) come the end of February.

• Unless we drop into the relegation places (God forbid!) I expect Bloomfield to stay if they are trying to offload the club. Come the Summer...gawd knows. Which 'experienced at this level' managers and their teams will be cheap enough?