Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Reading

Comments

• Currently relegation form. We are so slow at the back , it reminds me of walking football. Midfield no existent and no threat upfront. One shot on target against the bottom team. Absolutely hopeless. If Bloomfield says all the stats show we’re doing the right things , I would sack the man doing the data!! The only stat that’s important is winning games. At the moment we look a long way of doing that.

• It’s very worrying that everyone can see what is wrong apart from the management team.

Note to all opponents. Press our back 5 and you will have joy all day long. We are not good enough to play the system we are hoping the play.

• I think someone else pointed out recently that we have turned in to the sort of team we loved playing against a year or two ago. We have a set formation and talk about possession without being very good at passing or any other aspect of the game. We aren't tough to play or exciting to watch. Everything seems to be both ponderous and then rushed and that is quite an achievement.

Maybe Max has been covering for us for a good while and now he's off form it is counting more, and of course injuries don't help, but today was awful against a team that most other teams are battering.

Chuffing freezing too. Never did like Reading.

• Tafa Keogh Low back 3. Rigid. Said it all season. You play a wooden back three. You can’t progress up the pitch. What a surprise !

• yes, we do kind of have a "Karl Robinson's Oxford" feel to us. Not something I'd ever aspired to.

• Ponderous has to be the one word sum up today. Ponderous.

• edited November 2023

Not felt as bleak in a while. I was very vocal that Blooms needed a season. That's easier to say when you're not stood freezing losing against bottom of the league. To play like that against a local team is woeful

We showed no knowledge of how to score and how to even move the ball forward.

To not take any fight to bottom of the league, who would've crumpled at any pressure, is staggering.

We can blame lack of options if we'd like, but the last 3 home games have been awful.

Heard someone ask how well get promoted on that display.. I'm more worried in not getting sucked in to relegation

• I agree on the performance, just not on sacking MB because of a bad run. We had plenty of abject displays under GA too. We need to get some players back, consolidate this season, and kick on.

• Never advocated any management change. But the manager needs to change. That system does NOT work. And opponents are turning up pre drilled ready to undo us. That is worrying. Definition of madness etc

We are rapidly turning good players into bad.

• Far more concerning that the early defeats to Exeter and Lincoln. We shouldn’t look like this approaching halfway thru the season.

• You replied to my initial reply defending MB after someone said we should sack him. So it came off like you were agreeing with the knee-jerker, sorry.

• The definition of madness is telling somebody that Einstein quote and thinking it's the first time they'll have heard it.

It's going to be a long season.

• In that case we should get somoene else in otherwise we will be in a relegation fight .

• Crazy to talk about getting rid of Bloomfield. Today was poor and the 1st half especially was unacceptable, but we're missing key players and easing other players back in following injury. We had the same poor performances under Ainsworth in similar circumstances. We were playing well a short time ago and we will do so again once we can select a consistent XI and we've welcomed key players back.

But yeah, today was grim!

• Not seen Taf or Keogh get done for pace once. Forino done for pace against Stevenage for their goal, Charlton on several occasions, Lincoln away too. Taf and Keogh only two players who played remotely well today.

• I'd argue the only real XI player we were missing that would've made a difference was Vokes, and he would've been useless as we had no idea how to attack

• Early season looked woeful. But some reckoned they enjoyed the new "passing" style.

Then we seemed to have cracked it and it all looked promising.

Then we narrowly missed out on draws and wins v a string of top teams.

Now we're back closer to the early season stuff but without the passing.

A few key players out but we just don't look like scoring.

I'd have never started with this wingbacks back 3 stuff but it seems unlikely we'll drop it as we're so stacked with centre backs.

But it just doesn't suit the wide centre backs. And the wingbacks don't do nearly enough.

Slightly worrying with the opponent being hapless and it being their first away win in over a year.

Definitely feels like the day midtable at max was confirmed.

• Tactics either not understood or can't be executed. Unless, of course, the plan is to pass along the back till we're boxed in and then smack it long, in which case we nailed it.

Bloomfield pissed me off switching tactics last season, changing a winning team. It was stubborn and lacked pragmatism. We're doing the same thing now, sticking with the same strategy when it clearly isn't working.

God knows what position Taylor and Sadlier were supposed to be in. Both had 45 mins at it and barely touched the ball.

Sorry state of affairs when the only two players willing to chase down a lost cause are a young loanee and a bloke who joined a week ago.

I don't think any individual is really playing badly, but the tactics are horrible and regularly produce flat performances.

Play like that and we'll lose at home in front of 1,500 people next week.

• To be fair we were also missing Leahy, Potts and Hanlan. Although I point those three omissions out, I still think you are right regarding no idea how to attack.

We are in real trouble now and I truly cannot see us having an easy ride from hereon in. If we are not careful we could get sucked into the relegation battle.

• edited November 2023

Dire first half...slightly better second for patches. Thought Wheeler, McCleary, Saddlier, and Taylor (L) were a much better attacking threat myself. We were not great and strangely undone by two of our better players. Reading were up for it and deserved the points.On the bright side Lyle looked decent, @trevor gets his day and the MB outers can emerge blinking into the floodlights.

Ps have we decided not to even practice set pieces? Every free-kick and goalkick seemed to go nowhere.

PPS Phillips was very good.

• Play offs are a distant dream imo. We'll do very well to finish in the top half.

• Not had a chance to read the messages but that was awful.

Slowly sleepwalking into a relegation fight.

A lack of urgency, quality, fight to name a few.

• Every game we played under GA was a delight, no-one ever questioned his tactics or man management, nobody called for his sacking during a bad run and we looked like promotion candidates every season...where did it all go wrong?

• Absolutely woeful, shocking, embarrassing etc, etc.

I’m normally reasonably positive and happy to give things a chance but I’m fuming today.

Scowen was all in his own today in midfield. Wheeler clueless up front should have been along side him and would have done a much better job than Philips and Taylor.

We are so easy to play against. Knock the ball 2 yards to the right or left of one of the three centre backs and you’re in behind us. If we’d just play a flat back four we’d be so much better. Their second goal was obvious about 20 seconds before it happened as there was no left back.

The whole team are pointing for someone to cover the big open gaps wide left and right. The three centre backs are so immobile they cannot cover that space.

as soon as the wing backs drop into that space we are overrun in midfield and have zero attacking threat.

McCleary, Wheeler, Taylor and Philips were all playing out of position first half and it showed. Ridiculous.

Oh for Curtis Thompson today. We are badly missing Leahy and Potts as centre mid options. Jack Young could have played Better than Taylor and Philips in there.

I cannot understand what the management team are trying to do. Whatever it is the players just do not get it.

Please go back to 4 at the back.

If we play like that next week we will be out of the Cup.

dreading Barnsley on Tuesday night.