Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Reading

Comments

• Or is Mrs Tafazolli 'Ma Baker' of Boney M fame?

• The real shame about our poor performance today is that a big portion of the crowd came to see the local derby and were youngsters with their parents etc. After that performance I can’t see many coming back.

It will be interesting to see how many turn up for our FA cup game next week. Morecambe battered at Wrexham 6-0 today and without a manager. All set up for a shock result?

• I 100% agree about changing the manager but we can’t be complacent about the relegation threat. Winning and losing is a habit and we are in a losing habit. The last three or four games have seen players barely worth a 6/10 rating and with zero goal threat that is a worrying combination.

Bloomfield has shown loyalty to players that don’t deserve it in recent performances. They owe it to him and us to do better. I don’t like to make silly comparisons with former managers but at 1-2 with Ainsworth I would be expecting a 3-2 win with 10 minutes to go. With the team today at 80 minutes it was all over.

• This is a perfect assessment. We had a good enough team to take the game to the bottom of the league, and we didn't. No drastic calls for anything, as we knew it would be a strange season, but it needs to be better. We also can't forget we've not pulled up any trees at home this season

• edited November 2023

We are certainly less than the sum of our parts at the minute. Without the creativity of Potts, it’s hard to see how we actually create any chances through midfield.

These last two home league games have been amongst the most depressing in memory.

A poster further back had it when he said we just pass it around at the back until boxed in then punt it. Wheeler won a fair few headers but they generally flicked on into areas with no Wycombe player. It’s a pretty poor percentage attack as it relies on a perfect ball, perfect header, quick control, winning any challenge, running on to the keeper, then scoring. Presumably that’s reflected in our low XG.

This time last year Adams Park was a fortress and we were really hard to play against. We are an easy team to come up against now. Teams just need to press high, push back the wingbacks then they are free to enjoy a decent period of possession.

We were very tactically astute, changing things every game to counter the opposition’s strengths. Dobbo was espectially good at this according to Ainsworth and it allowed us to pull off some incredible results against, frankly, much better teams.

I desperately want Matt to have more of an Ainsworth legacy of success than a Neil Smilie one. He should have at least this season to learn and develop his managerial skills. No one more than him wants Wycombe to be doing well and this will have hurt him.

I am worried about recruitment when we return Potts and Phillips though. We’ll have to go some to turn up players like that every year, especially if we don’t sustain this year’s big spending gamble.

• The strange thing is that we have a real good squad this season, a mix of experience and youth and a match for any team in this league on our day.

So it is a mystery why we can have so many absolutely flat performances.

We have a manager who couldn’t give any more for this club of ours and I believe things will improve but we need to get focused and quickly.

Just look at Exeter City for example. They went off like a gun at the start of the season but have now slipped down to 20th after a real thumping at Bolton today. Hopefully we can avoid following that trajectory.

• To be fair, it didn't feel much of a fortress during that winless streak last autumn versus Cambridge, Morecambe, Port Vale and Walsall (and that after the goalkeeper-free start to the season). But the way things picked up around the end of the calendar year was really significant and changed the mood completely.

Today was undoubtedly dismal, though. And we just need to get results now - if not at Barnsley, then definitely vs the Shrimps and the Shrews.

• We made bottom of the league Reading look good. My mate said before the game that we lacked confidence and I’m afraid I have to agree with him now.

Bottom of the league versus a team lacking confidence means the first goal is then crucial…and we the go and concede a really bad one.

great response in 3 minutes and then concede a second stinker of a goal.

good 15 minutes after half time but Reading held firm and hit us well on the break.

Anyone else wish Wing had been playing for us today?

and I didn't understand the front three, why play Dale Taylor behind G Mac and Wheels? Made no sense at all and didn’t work.

• edited November 2023

The thing is, Max is a very average keeper. Surely no one in their right minds thinks Championship clubs will be fighting each other to take him off our hands? This is the third game in just over a month that his mistakes have cost us points (Peterborough and Bolton being the others).

I suspect a big reason why we're having to play the ball around a flat back five at the moment is because Bloomfield doesn't trust Max's distribution. Bringing in Ravizzoli mid way through the season suggests that Matt wanted a decent, experienced, confident player he could swap into goal at some point, rather than take a chance with an inexperienced 18yo. After Ravizzoli's stand-out performance against Wimbledon in the cup - excellent distribution, strong in the box, fast reflexes and a penalty save - that chance should come now.

It was only when Ainsworth made the big call in the Championship and dropped Allsopp for Stockdale that our form turned round and we started playing well. It was an authoritative move that signalled a reset and made sure every player knew that no one was undroppable. From that moment everyone's performance picked up, helped no end by having a keeper on the pitch who could start counter attacks quickly and effectively.

It's time Matt stepped up and did the same.

• Whilst I don’t necessarily agree, I like this post a lot.

• edited November 2023

I hope the posters who took the mickey out of me for suggesting we look poor without Vokes’s hold up play saw the same game I saw today.

• Ah that’s the silver lining I was looking for! There were a bunch of 6 kids 3 or 4 rows behind me in the FA today who were loud and very, very annoying. More than happy if today’s ‘performance’ makes them not want to come again.

• The gasroom does have little sweeps of overrating players at times.

Vokes was always going to be a huge miss. Especially combined with Hanlan out. Without them we currently have zero physical threats up front.

• I've not seen Ravizolli play but if his distribution is decent he should probably come in. In the current system Stryjek just doesn't work as his kicking isn't good enough. It would be a shame as he is a great keeper and would only be a victim of our insistence on playing so many passes among the back 6.

• This just shows how bad yesterday’s performance was for @glasshalffull to be critical. Normally the defender of everything Wycombe Wanderers, his assessment was spot on.

• Definitely play Ravizolli in the FA cup game

• We are a shadow of our former selves and with quite possibly a bigger playing budget than Ainsworth ever had.

So many issues all over the pitch with our main problem being our formation which is clearly not working and I can’t recall ever working under MB, even when we’ve had a nearly fit squad.

Unless we change formation or have a fully fit squad we could easily find ourselves in the same position as Oxford last season.

Our current long term form over the last 10 games, if replicated over the next 29 games will see us with less than 50 points.

A big change is needed, not in personal but in our way of thinking.

• Dare I say it....

Nick Freeman

• Or, the way we played with the manager who brought him in suited him perfectly and the way we play with the manager who did not sign him does not.

• You are so right @Blue_since_1990 . My mate said he paid £66 for an adult a 13 year old and a 10 year old in the Frank Adams and dare I say they won’t be back this season for that money.

• We’ve become a team that I used to laugh at when they played against us. Play it out from the back, pass from keeper to centre half, he looks terrified to receives it, gets closed down, makes panic pass, next player looks terrified, he gets closed down, tries to clear it. Best case it deflects off the attacking player we get a goal kick and do it all over again.

We don’t have the quality to do what the coaches want us to do. No teams in this league do. It’s fanciful. It does not work. It’s predictable. Momentum is always with the opposition. We need to find a style of football that matches the team we have not the stuff we see on Match of the Day.

Most depressing part of yesterday? It made me decide to not go on Saturday. That’s an FA Cup 2nd round game against a team that lost 6-0 yesterday and should represent a gateway to the excitement of the 3rd round. And yet I can’t sit through another game like yesterday.

• It wasn't great yesterday and there are plenty of things to address (Grimmer as a wingback?)

I did think we immediately looked better when Lyle Taylor came on. Finally we had a striker looking to get in behind and stretch defenders rather than dropping deep all the time. If he's fit enough (big if I know) he's got to start on Tuesday

• We need a better performance at Barnsley no matter what the result. The cup games against Morecambe and Fulham U21s could be season defining though. We really need to win both. That would help rebuild confidence and give us something to look forward to in the new year. Defeats and this season could quickly turn into a joyless slog.

• If Matt wants a footballing ‘keeper to suit his style then Max is not that ‘keeper. Which is why he looks so average now as opposed to the best we’ve had in years. His confidence must be shot. Sadly Matt needs to make up his mind if he wants Ederson in goal as part of his revolution then he must move Max on. Personally I feel a footballing ‘keeper at this level is madness.