Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Reading

167891012»

Comments

• Got my ticket for Saturday and have printed it up so there is something I can rip up in protest if Max bicycle kicks the ball at Keogh and it bounces in off the old fella's back for an own goal...

• There was also an aspect of quarters karma about last night. We don't generally do well when we decided to violate the club charter, I have noticed.

• I called an old (American) friend tonight living in Phoenix, Arizona, who I had not spoken to in over a year. He does watch some Premier League football, but that is basically the extent of it. He picked up and said "It's funny you should call - today a friend sent me a video, and I realized one of the teams was Wycombe, who you support. It was an incident with a goalkeeper...."

The gift that keeps giving!

On an amusing side note, he said his friends had all chosen PL teams over the past several years, with most of them supporting one of the two Manchester teams. However, his dad decided to pick his own team based on the name, and came up with...Nottingham Forest. I thought our Forest friends on the forum would like that. The thought of there being an elderly chap down in Phoenix who just randomly decided to be a Nottingham Forest fan just tickles me, for some reason. My friend said it does cause some head scratching, as most Americans know nothing about them. I did my duty and gave him as much broad strokes of Forest history as I know to pass on to his dad.

• Make sure he knows that true fans call them Notts Forest - pride of the North

• Outstanding

• Not forgetting their rivals Nottingham County with manager nicknamed 'the sherrif'

• Not true fans, old fans as the 'Notts' name died out in the 80's. Unlike them.

If you're ever in Nottingham you could pop into a boozer and ask them yourself but they only ever talk about two things. Cloughie and the Shipstone Brewery. In rotation. Forever.

• Never been Notts Forest in my lifetime...except on that London telly.

Shippos was an appalling beer.

Surely the Pits, Players fags and the Raleigh factory also make an appearance...?

I saw Gary Newbon getting the OAP wagon to his train at Marylebone station last night...now that did make me feel old.

• I wonder if the confusion is caused by the city of Nottingham versus the county. Let's not forget that North Nottinghamshire is really Yorkshire so maybe they had a different name for the team.

• The current iteration of Shippos is pretty decent.

• @arnos_grove hmmm. I'll give it another try sometime. I seem to recall it being both heavy and gassy...which is not ideal for a bitter!

(This was of course, years and years ago)

• While we're still talking about the Reading game (or the thread is going anyway) it looks a possibility that Reading will lose the points they thoroughly deserved to win last weekend. Their occasional billionaire seems to have not paid the staff again and protests are planned for the weekend.

• I'd seen something on X earlier suggesting they'd paid the players 100% and the office staff 50% so would avoid a points deduction...

• That should keep Mrs “see you in The Championship” Wing happy

• I’ve heard from a reliable source that she’s a nasty piece of work

• Nothing wrong with being heavy and gassy. It’s how Her Indoors has described me for the last decade.

• After arguably playing better than against us, Reading have been dumped out of the FA Cup by Eastleigh. Just to put how abysmal we were last week into perspective.

• I think they made a lot of changes and tend to play younguns in the cup.

As after beating us, they smashed Carlisle 5-1. Albeit a team at the bottom.