Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Cambridge

Comments

• Hanlan was frustratingly all over the place at times last night. His miss in the first few minutes was comical. It seems that brain and body are not in full coordination at times, he’s all arms and legs with the ball bouncing off him like a hot potato. It’s high time TJ was given an extended run, though I assume he will be in the starting line up at Bradford. We are in such a mess with injuries and illness it will be interesting as to what team can be cobbled together.

• Is it time we start to talk about the crowds? Seems to have been ignored a little that crowds seem to be down, and dare I say it, asides from a couple of games at its inception, the 1887 initiative appears (to me anyway) to have had no positive impact on the atmosphere at AP.

If anything, their move to the right hand side of the terrace makes it even quieter as 2/3 of the stand aren't joining in most of the time.

• The 1887 have alienated quite a lot of the fans in my age range of the terrace

• Tom and the drummer did everything they could to get the terrace crowd going but nobody seemed that enthusiastic apart from them.

It really goes to show that what happens on field affects the crowd atmosphere which in turn translates back to the players.

• edited November 2023

Why stand on the far right hand side of the terrace when the rest of the stand can hardly hear you, though?

The drumming didn't seem to start until the 15th minute from what I could see.

Last night can be a bit of an exception - wet 0-0 draw on a Tuesday night - but the regular Saturday games have been (to my mind) arguably quieter than last year even.

• Moving the game due to international call ups,may of cost us the extra 2 points, when the game was originally scheduled Cambridge was shocking and have turned it around lately. We have a big enough squad to cover the 3 international players. Also moving the game has effected the crowd as many cant make a midweek game due to Travel/work.

• I think you get so many thumbs down for exactly this type of self righteous and dismissive comment. Your opinion is not superior to others who watch the game, especially when you haven’t even watched the game!

Your original post had some things I’d agree with - I agree Hanlan’s attitude has been generally excellent since the failed move and he should be applauded for that. He tries his best and I think he is a useful player when he can pin and turn defenders in wide positions. But to say he has ‘owned’ those channels is hyperbole when he has so little end product. Brandon has such an inconsistent first touch that it is hard to build sustained attacks through him. His heading ability has actually really improved this season, and he deserves great credit for obviously working on that, but he is still below average in that regard. He seems to be a nearly player, very close to being a very good player at this level, but not quite getting there. As his age now, it doesn’t seem like it’s quite going to happen for him here, and if a good offer came in January from Wrexham I would be inclined to accept and try to bring in a replacement.

I think we’re close to being a good side, but Brandon’s position is one we should be looking to improve if we have real play off ambitions. I know it’s a silly idea, but if you added, for example, Nathan Tyson (first spell) into a front 3 with Phillips and Taylor, ie, real pace and end product, we would be a force to be reckoned with.

As for last night, the number of injuries and suspensions has just racked up too much. We hugely miss Scowen to make us tick, and as a result also lose Killian further upfield where his pressing and energy have made us a much bigger threat recently. Losing Forino has meant losing the very effective channel ball he has developed recently and forced Low into a less effective right sided role, until he was obviously suspended last night as well.

I still see a lot of positives though and think if we can get players back we’ll expect to be stronger as the season progresses.

• In at least two games recently, you've asked if anyone had seen Hanlan break into a jog. I assume you weren't watching. Criticism is one thing, but that's plain nonsense.

• I watch every game. I also know a lot of people agree with me. They certainly did at the game last night.

• I think TJ would be much more of an attacking threat than Brandon Hanlan. He’s quicker, more skilful on the ball and would probably earn as many free kicks as Hanlan concedes. As someone remarked recently, Hanlan is like Bayo in one respect. Quite often when he is fouled the referees give the opposition a free kick. One thing is for sure. He has definitely shown greater commitment since the Wrexham interlude.

• I think if you’d watched Hanlan’s cameo in the second half yesterday @ReturnToSenda you’d understand the tone of the replies you’re getting. I do agree with you that Hanlan has remained professional since the debacle, but his inability to retain possession is borderline pathetic for a league one side with playoff ambitions. His body is like a pinball bumper. The ball trampolines off him.

• Does anyone know what’s going on with Christie Ward?

Didn’t play a minute of pre season and hasn’t made any first team squads.

I assume injured but haven’t seen any mention of his fitness anywhere.

• we're not allowed to know, but I can tell you that his darts have improved dramatically.

• Injured. I'm sure Blooms did mention it a few weeks back.

• I've got no problem with us needing to play both Taff and Keogh last night - obviously dictated by injuries and suspensions. But without Forino or Low in the team we really miss a defender who is able to step forward with the ball. Against teams who sit a bit deeper it's a real problem because it slows us down so much (Keogh in particular is glacial on the ball, always seems to need an extra touch) and makes the passes from the back extremely predictable. This was compounded by having the option to go long to Vokes removed as well. Potts, Phillips, and Scowen are all good on the ball and will get us moving quickly, but it's so much harder when neither of the centre backs can draw an opposition midfielder out of position. My feeling is that really hurt us last night against a very well organised team.

• They were standing in line with the edge of the six yard box, not to the far right.

I believe they have been advised not to stand directly behind the goal due to previous difficulties (but I could be wrong).

Frankly though the crowd was so quiet, I don't see how them standing any more central would have helped, as everyone must have heard the drumming and Tom's chants. If you didn't join in, it was because you didn't want to IMHO.

That's not a criticism aimed at you personally @Brownie, that's the collective you (i.e. the terrace dwellers in general).

My view is that, sadly, some people don't want to join in a chant started by Tom just because it's Tom that's started it.

I joined in a few times, but I'm too old to do it constantly during a game - neither my lungs nor blood pressure can take the strain. I have to save myself for the walk back to my car at full time.

• Unfortunately Tom was a complete annoyance last night.

His attempts to get the chants going is to be admired. But his foul mouthed tirade throughout the second half was embarrassing.

The heckling and foul mouthed abuse of the keeper made me ashamed to support my team.

• Do you sit in the Frank Adams, left from the centre out of interest?

Potentially about 40, wearing a cap?

I only ask as there's one guy there absolutely adamant about this "Not breaking into a jog" thing.

• I'd be very interested in a De Barr v Hanlan sprint.

I think you'd be absolutely wrong about who would win, and may be mistaking short distance accelaration v top speed.

There was a real De Barr love in late on last season on here and lovely chap he is, I never quite got it.

• Ohh !! No not me I'm afraid. I am in the Frank Adams but nearer 60 and don't wear caps. I know I'm not alone in my thoughts though, on here and in the ground. We all see things differently at the end of the day, guess it'd be boring if we thought the same !

• 100% agree with @Malone, sorry @micra I understand TJ is your new Nick Freeman but rose tinted or what! TJ may look faster with those little legs spinning ten to the dozen but ‘Mustard’ has a sprinters glide and is acknowledged as the fastest member of the squad (Chris F perhaps surprisingly is a v close second).

• We were discussing the differences between football now and in yesteryear. One thing we all agreed on was that players don't tend to tire like they used to, so the likes of Hemmings, McSporran and Tyson perhaps wouldn;t terrorise tired defenders in those last 20 minutes as they used to.

Every player can be frustrating in the eye of the beholder. Hanlan's touch is not the best but it still amazes me how he seems to bulldoze through defenders and come out with the ball. He rarely scores.

McCleary looks like a rolls royce on occasions but for me he far too often cuts back inside or just slows the game down and passes it sideways or backwards. He does though keep possession which has it's merits but I find myself more often than not frustrated that he doesn't try and put the full back on his arse and get to the byeline and cross the ball in.

Now, this is where Mehmeti excelled and why we looked so different with him in the team because he took people on, he got to the byeline, he tried to get past defenders more often than not plus he had the touch and finishing skills to go with it.

Getting beyond defenders and driving into the box brings more rewards than cutting back inside and playing it safe. I wish Hanlan had better ball control and McCleary just took people on more but this is League 1 for a reason.

• I have to agree @Commoner that sometimes a pass back instead of running at defenders and a shot may increase our possession stats but is incredibly frustrating.

• Brandon's air shot in the first half just about summed him up. We NEEDED that goal so badly and he choked. No mitigation, he fluffed his lines. He is slow of thought and quick of foot. At his age his thought is not going to get any better. We can't have ANOTHER non-scoring striker in the squad that position is already filled. If an offer comes in I would shift him in a heartbeat. We all know he can do 'it' but his career so far would suggest that he is unlikely to do 'it' consistently. Let's face it he is 26 and has never had a season scoring double figures, I love optimism but it is a reach to suggest he is still developing.

• When McCleary came in he was an absolute game changer too, he's not unreasonably dropped a bit since, as he moves further into the mid 30s. Still a good player of course, but not the big threat he was initially.

• Can't help but feel Wheeler should be a starter when he's fit...definitely brought a bit of pace and skill when he came on.

(I think Jasper did okay as well.)

• Agreed about Jasper. He bounced back well after a couple of difficult games against talented and experienced wide players. He’s decent in possession and wins a fair share of headers considering his height. Another excellent find by Sam Grace.

• I know he is by nature a wide player, but given his touch and skill is there a chance GMAc could play as the main striker?

• Genuine ask - why do you et al feel this way? Do you consider the group elitist in some way or you just don’t subscribe to their version of Wycombe fan culture? I thought it may have made a bigger impact. There’s still time.

I’ve only been to one midweeker this season and that was against Orient. The game itself was exciting, a victory and played on a very pleasant August evening so perhaps understandably he atmosphere felt lively. As mentioned, I don’t go as often as I’d like but it’d be a real shame if numbers, and crucially, vocal support is lacking for the remainder of this campaign. Last season felt mostly soulless in the stands bar the Ipswich game and fillip before GA left. “Football in a library”, as away fans like to chant, does make the experience far less enjoyable.