Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Cambridge

Comments

• I'm quite enjoying it. Playing some nice stuff everywhere except up top!

• Let’s cross that bridge when the time comes (as it just might!)

• My 3-2 prediction is looking crap. Should have done my homework.

• Blooms might switch up the formation in the second half with the Swiss army knife coming on just before half-time.

What worries me is there is a real PSF vibe about our game so far just like that car crash of a game against Sutton. We can count our blessings it's still 0-0 at half-time, hopefully our second-half performance will show a lot more urgency on the pitch and from the largely passive crowd.

• Hopefully we can start doing something in the final third.

• We really need 3 points tonight. How is it looking?

• We’ve lacked some composure in the key moments so far. A lot of miss-hits, slips and failure to control when we’ve had chances.

• Seems like we have crammed a lot of games in recently. Tiredness creeping in.

• Jack Grimmer is just a thoroughly likeable guy isn't he?

• xS not appearing yet (expected snack). Need to have a word with Mrs Smith.

• We look like we've not trained any idea of how to create chances. We've spent 60 mins playing without any width. It's been turgid going forward

• It’s obvious why. The full backs can’t commit high because of Tafa and Keogh’s pace deficiency.

• You can also see McCleary and Wheeler have been told to tuck in. The reasons why don't make it any better to watch. Phillips has been brilliant in the middle.

• Meh

Despite the best efforts of the team just not enough quality on show tonight at breaking down a very disciplined and resolute Cambridge side.

Definitely feels like 2 points dropped

• After a few high scoring games we were overdue a boring one. That really, really delivered.

• PJSPJS
    edited October 2023

Solid performance against a side with no desire to make any running. Lots of industry without creating many chances but there were some - Vokes, McCleary, Sadlier, Wheeler not to mention their defenders audacious lob of his own keeper - another day we get one and then go on to win comfortably. Injuries, illness, suspensions and volume of games catching up with us at the moment. I do wonder whether we would have been a stronger squad position on the original date even without our internationals.

• Quite an apt game for Halloween. Frightful.

• I enjoyed it.

• Sounds like I made the right decision to give it a miss!

• I enjoyed it too

There was lots of good honest endeavour from both sides, some crunching tackles, a couple of comedy moments from them & the ref going card happy in the latter stages of the game.

• Not a bad point but it’s a game you need to be winning if you have serious ambitions of being a top 7 side.

We do look tough to beat however - if we can get key players back and keep them healthy in the second half of the season and put a run together, you never know where we might finish.

Leahy probably our MoM again tonight, although his delivery was disappointing at times.

• We’ve played some good football in this spell of games but three points from four games feels unfair and also feels insufficient for a side with playoff ambitions. I still think we’ll come good in calendar year 2024 once the cohesion is there and players come back from injury.

• 4 points behind Nick Freeman with a game in hand.

• edited October 2023

Forgettable game.

If only that mad clearance/back pass from 40 or so yards out from their defender had crept in late on.

• I'm slightly worried about Taylor - he has failed to make a mark for quite a few games now and seems far from the form he showed for Burton. I presume Vokes will be out for a while and Hanlon will be leading the line for the forseeable, in which case we really need Taylor to step up. I'd prefer to see Phillips pushed up further and Leahy brought back into midfield but that seems unlikely with the defensive injury crisis we're now sustaining (especially if Keogh is out for any time).

It all just seemed a little haphazard and unpracticed today. The change in formation looked like it was out of necessity rather than choice - and without Scowen we do seem a little limp. Lucky we were playing pretty poor opposition who were happy with 0-0 from the start.

• Not a bad game, could easily have gone either way, so a draw probably fair. Some good individual performances, Philips, Taylor, Potts all played well and De Barr added some spark late on. Just not enough quality in the final third to match some very neat approach play.

Clean sheet was welcome, especially with all the absentees. Great save from Max towards the end, hopefully he'll gain confidence from that, as he looked quite shaky first half.

• Completely agree. Worth additional note that Hanlan looked totally out of his depth in the second half as the ‘9’. To juxtapose, Wheeler and TJ were particularly threatening when they came on.

• I thought there was a touch of Scowen in Taylor today...he was everywhere. But oh for the comedy own goal that almost was. For me we did everything but score...just get The Player in January...sorted