Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Cambridge

Comments

• I'm honestly astounded at how many people claim to have enjoyed that.

I thought it was an awful game. 0-0 makes it sound better than it actually was.

We didn't lose and managed to muddle through what seemed like an enforced tactical change. That's about the best I can say for an instantly forgettable encounter.

• Cambridge sat in.

We always seem to struggle against a well organized, deep lying defensive team. How do we break that down. With skill?..dribbling through their lines one v one and getting a shot away…with pace?…harder as no space in behind…with lots of hopeful high balls into the mixer?…extremely unlikely.

They defended the set pieces well and gave us no space and/or time in their 18 yard box.

Cambridge go home happy having achieved what they set out to achieve…a clean sheet.

• I think the very fact that Taylor got a good few goals in a poor Burton side last season indicates that he has the quality, if we play to his strengths - but are we doing that?

I’ve only seen at best (between live games and iFollow) half of our games this season - and without joking, have seemingly picked most of our poorest ones to watch - but I would say providing service to our forwards has consistently been a weak point of this side.

I’ve seen so many games where we’ve pinged it about nicely but then don’t create clear-cut chances off the back of decent spells of possession.

• They should have won it near the end, a fantastic strong hand from Max to deflect a fiercely struck shot from fairly close range.

• Contextually, I'm really disappointed with that. A good performance for the most part at Oxford and Posh, picking up 2 points. Overlooked the Bolton game as they've looked a top outfit at times. To then play an average side at home who haven't won away in 2 months, and look so insipid going forward was extremely disheartening.

We either overplayed what little chances we managed to create, or took bizarre shot choices. I simply don't get what Hanlan brings to the team, he seems to have 4 good touches for a season and saves them up to score wonder goals.

After the Bolton game, a lot of the defence looks to have lost a bit of confidence in Max's command of his area, which makes us a bit shakey when there's no threat.

The only real positive is that Potts is a class act in midfield, and Phillips looks a fantastic creative, driving force, always wanting to turn on the ball and push forward. They've both really developed fantastically in the last month.

• I thought Taylor offered a lot more than Hanlan tonight, showed good glimpses and has a much superior touch and isn't afraid to get stuck in. I think it's time that TJ or Sadlier had a go in place of Brandon.

• It's great Gasroomers can still astound each other isn't it @Glenactico ? 😉

• edited October 2023

@Glenactico I dunno, I've seen plenty worse games. The first 30mins or so were beyond tedious, but things picked up slightly before half time. 2nd half I thought we were decent. Most of the excitement was wrapped up in the final 15mins where they were chances at both ends.

Frustrating and a definite lack of quality in the final third, but also some positive individual performances and plenty of effort and endeavour.

• I think this is the problem, we're not creating enough chances for our forwards to score, they are having to create things for themselves, crossing and set pieces weren't great again tonight.

• Apologies, it stands for pre-season friendly. It was a commonly used acronym for it at some point in the last 25 years at least on the Gasroom, probably fallen out of fashion seeing there are barely any that people go to anymore.

• A pretty turgid game, which clearly had bored the kids behind the goal to the point where they were giving the Cambridge keeper Stevens dogs abuse. What on earth had he done to deserve that? Is he a former Sluff player or something?

• The injury list / unavailability is alarming isn't it?

Grimmer/JJ/McCarthy seemingly long term

Forino injured

Vokes now injured, Keogh potentially injured?

Scowen out injured

KVY disappeared

Lowe suspended tonight, apparently Leahy now on a 5 game ban too

Blooms said 9 were out tonight, can only count 7 above pre the match starting, am I missing anyone else? Christie Ward meant to have picked up a bad one too I think?

All teams pick up injuries but you have to ask what's going on when it gets to this sort of number out.

• I sincerely hope you don't mean Leahy has a 5 game ban now, @DJWYC14!

• A quick note that I amazed how under the same manager, Cambridge have gone from scoring a lot and conceding a lot, to playing very tight. It seems a noticeable change in philosophy.

• Alas for the missed own goal from 45 yards. That would have been up for the Puskas!

• Leahy has picked up four league bookings this season - so not banned … yet.

• Horrible game. All the right players not necessarily in the right order.

For all his endeavour and Dale’s introduction that he was here to score goals he needs to understand that will only happen if he shoots. Got himself in a couple of good positions second half and wasn’t selfish. Brandon having a Brandon game. GMac and Leahy not working at all on the left. Etc etc

6’s all round. Potts maybe a 6.5

• edited November 2023

Just a bit dull, not horrendous, opposition clearly came for a draw and sat back. Attacking options are a little concerning, not entirely convinced getting it forward Vokes quickly wherever possible Is the cheat code they seem to think it is on commentary but without him we seem a bit lost, Phillips is really promising and has shown he can lead, good to see the fuss this week didn't get to him, but Hanlan and Taylor both lack cutting edge. Hope Hanlans recent decent spell wasn't just related to the interest shown in him, and I'd really hoped Taylor's goals at Fleetwood would open the floodgates.

• I would like to see Taylor as our main striker now that Vokes is likely to be out for a while. I’m sure he will score plenty if he gets good service, as he did versus Fleetwood.

Hanlan continues to frustrate and is most probably a better option off the bench. Plenty of options with GMac, Philips, TJ, Wheeler and Sadlier in the other forward positions. Maybe it’s time to see a bit more of Sadlier.

Good to see Taf have a good game. For me he should always start if fit. Admittedly that’s not all the time.

Overall not a bad performance, just frustrating. The glaringly obvious issue is that we are nowhere near as good without Scowen. Please get well soon!!!

Now for an epic FA cup run COYB

• Agreed @Mandown . I thought Taylor was excellent last night. Worked incredibly hard, recycled the ball well and showed good skill and imagination in a deeper role. I just thought he (and we) would benefit from playing further forward, as he looks the most likely one to score.

• I don’t agree that we are “nowhere near as good” without Scowen. Don’t get me wrong, he’s one of the players I think should start every game if fit and available. But our dependence on him has clearly diminished this season. Last season he won Man of the Match every two or three games (or so it seemed). This season, no doubt because of the all-round excellence of the squad and the outstanding Freddie Potts and Luke Leahy in particular, there haven’t been too many votes for Josh.

I think it’s great that he has signed a longer term contract and I hope the knock that kept him out last night is one that he quickly recovers from.

• I didn't see last night's game, but just a general point on Hanlan based on recent performances: his application since his move to Wrexham (seemingly) fell through has been superb. We need to do everything we can to try and keep hold of him in Jan.

• TJay and Dales application are also great, we need goals, setup play, creativity and crossing.

• edited November 2023

Three thumbs down 😂 What are you lot watching? He's showing some of his best form in a Wycombe shirt, absolutely owning those channels.

• I thumbed down. It was your final sentence ‘we need to do everything we can to try and keep him in Jan’.

I’d drive him to Wrexham just to get him off the wage bill. As far as I remember, he’s only had one good spell on the pitch this season and that was away to Bristol Rovers. Other than that, I can’t remember many occasions where he’s played particularly well. I still think we should have ripped Wrexham’s hand off if they were paying any fee, let alone the rumoured fee.

• As you said yourself, you didn't watch last nights game.

Personally if Wrexam came in for him again and offered money I'd snatch their hand off. One great game every 8 isn't really good enough. Doesn't score many goals, can't head the ball, can't control the ball, anticipation isn't that great ( he had a few flick ons last night that he was just stood watching instead of running onto them) doesn't get stuck in. He's just really frustrating, as he's big strong and quick, and in my mind could be a 20 goal a season striker in league one or two... but he isn't. Taylor was much better than him last night, I'd go with TJ or Sadlier with Dale next game.

Cue Brandon having his good game in 8 on Saturday and keeping his place for the rest of the month

• Got in one great position last night and basically fell over. Horrible miss. That happens to everyone and there's something there, maybe someone else would get the best out of him, but we see him actually being productive very rarely.

If there's interest, and someone wanting to pay a fee it would probably make more sense to let him go and try someone else. Another target man to rotate with Sam might make some sense if we're not going to drastically change the style, or a goalhanger poacher type.

• Have to disagree unfortunately. Hanlan is one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen.

He has moments of brilliance, but far too often does not make the right run (or any run at all), has a first touch that bounces straight off him or does not press when needed. I'd also like to see Taylor given a run through the middle.

But then maybe I'm wrong, I thought McCleary had an extremely frustrating game last night and that Taff was poor - slowing us down every time he got on the ball and overhitting most of his passes... So what do I know!

• Classic midweeker.

Weather not great. Crowd that have bothered to turn up not up for it.

Fairly small crowd too.

Few chances and slightly got ahead of ourselves thinking we're "not far off" because we almost got draws and wins from the last 4 harder teams?

Roll on a different competition at the weekend though.