Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• I would suggest that Pearson signed the wrong player. If you have a maverick type player then you have to have others to do the discipline stuff around them. Benching him or expecting him to play differently is just plain wrong.

• It is a crime against football and the sheer joy of watching a talent like Mehmeti.

• Agree 100%, His game is testing the defence and trying the outrageous, it won't come off every time but you need to allow him to give it away a couple of times if you want the third to go in the net.

If he is generally being greedy then old school dropping/ shaming him is an option but if he's lost any of his decision making and it's in anyway related to adjusting to the division and his teammates, then it's unlikely to be fixed with less gametime.

• edited September 2023

I think Anis was too selfish early on and that properly cost us a goal or two. I remember Garath McCleary calling him out at least once in a match for shooting instead of squaring the ball. And he really seemed to improve with Garath alongside him, didn’t he?

To me that’s partly the output of academy football where it is all focused on developing the individual and team results don’t really matter (except in the FA Youth Cup).

When my boys were playing football at a decent level I remember another parent saying to me. “At Tottenham Academy the parents say ‘if you pass the ball to someone else you make them look good’”. I saw this attitude so much in academy and CofE football where kids’ parents told them not to pass but to dribble and shoot all the time. I got sick of it.

• Good points @Forest_Blue. Playing with GMac must have done wonders for Mehmeti - both inasmuch as learning from him directly, and GMac commanding enough attention during games to give more space to Anis. I bet Garath gets a shout out when 'Anis: The Making of a Legend' comes out in 2036.

• Back on loan in January would be good

• One thing I said about Anis to a Bristol City fan when he left was that he is a learner. His development curve was so steep. After a couple of dodgy games his final few months with us he seemed to suss everything out. When to shoot, when to cross, when to pass, when to go past a player, and when to defend. But he was probably doing all of this knowing he wasn’t going to be shamed if he made a slip up. Pearson bullying him in public makes him look a bully and is making a million pound spend look like his mistake.

Poor management. Poor human skills.

• Suspect with a lot of money received and some changeover of players there in the summer this might be more related to that than anything Anis has done. He hasn't played enough to be a problem. With the Chief exec heavily involved and acting on insider info maybe it was an investment purchase and he was never Pearsons cup of tea.

Hopefully Pearson and his family can be publicly loathsome again and he gets moved on. Worked for Leicester . You'd imagine there would be no shortage of takers for Anis if he was to be made available.

• Maybe he can completely fall out of favour and be picked up by GA next summer. That would be a perfect match!

• AAH2 scores his first international goal in a 0-1 away win in Bulgaria

• Eze on the bench for England

• That was Iran. Iraq drew 2-2 against India and went on to win on penalties

• Thanks @stevedore of course it’s Taff who could qualify for Iran

• Nick Freeman appears to have been playing right wingback for table-topping Stevenage.

He also played for the full hour and three quarters.

• He's the player I really regret us letting go of this summer. Every team needs a player like Nick to carry the ball and relieve pressure as well as creating chances. Seems surprising considering the change in the way Blooms wants to play.

• Nick was offered a new deal at WW and turned it down.

• *he's a player I was sorry to see go (apologies for my lazy journalism!)

• edited September 2023

Alfie Mawson features in Max Kretzschmar’s first podcast.

Listen here: http://linktw.in/XtOgfl

• Unsurprising after the tail end of last season when we were absolutely crying out for Nick's qualities and Tjay was getting played ahead of him in Nick's favoured position.

• Yeah, there's offers and offers, what we didn't do was prioritize giving him game time, and that's what he wanted.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that if Blooms' though he had better options, it's not as if he didn't know him. He could have stayed but presumably still would be on the periphery rightly or wrongly.

• Albania now top of their qualifying group. Let's hope Pearson does not cause Mehmeti to miss a major championship!

• He was dropped for the two recent games as he’s hardly played this season. These games were against the groups two big teams in Czech Republic (A) and Poland (H). They drew with 🇨🇿 and beat 🇵🇱.

They play 🇨🇿 at home on October 12th and unless they have injuries I can’t imagine Anis will get picked while the team is doing so well , especially with Borja due back from long term injury.

The last two games are a double header against Faroe Islands (H) and Moldova (A) in Nov. Let’s hope he gets picked for these two games and gives himself a chance of playing next year.

I would hope we have an add on bonus if he appears in the Euros.

• What a pity for Anis. He seemed to have adjusted to the higher level quite quickly. Another player who might come back to play for a club that likes him?

• A loan move to QPR in January is more likey

• I’d be amazed if they let him go on loan

• edited September 2023

Eze on as a substitute, and probably should have scored

• Mehmeti was an unused sub AGAIN :(

• Saddening to see Bayo doing betting ads

• Hat trick for Scott Rendell for Totton v Gloucester City in the FA Cup.