Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

123457»

Comments

• We had a Steve Jones on loan many moons ago. Sanchez told us he was the answer to our problems, he looked way off the pace, got injured and was never seen again.

• Reflecting on yesterdays game, I understand the Burton approach. Let's be honest, that was exactly the way, as a club, that we would have done even up to last season. Thought we looked a decent side, if not a stunning one and we were the ones most likely to win it. Sadly, for me, the one who spoilt the game most was the referee. If he had clamped down on the time wasting tactics early on, instead of rolling his hands constantly, it would have made the game a more interesting spectacle. Booking the goalie for time wasting in the 91st minute was a total gesture yellow. Whilst he possibly didn't deserve it for that incident, it was a collective booking. If however the referee applied the law in the 1st half, we would quite possibly have witnessed a different game. Same with Moon who was tasked with the "long throws". The number 3, (Seddon?), should have had two yellows, one for deliberately blocking off KVY and one for deliberately kicking the ball away after the ref had blown for a free kick.

Reasonably enjoyable game and if we can find that final cutting edge I am sure that the play offs won't be unachievable. 🤷

• @EwanHoosaami I agree that refs need to be much better at applying the laws as they hav ebeen instructed to interpret them, whilst I do not want to see sides reduced to 10 or 9 through silly yellow cards, the game will improve by the ref making it clear very early that they will not accept time wasting or the other dark arts/game management cons most teams employ to a greater or lesser extent.

• Didn't he score in an excellent away win at Millwall?

• Completely agree and as fans we have to do something to instigate the correct application of the rules by making it hostile for the opposition. We allowed Burton to ‘Wycombe’ us Ainsworth-style all too often. The ball was barely in play for the entire second half. I wonder what on earth a neutral would’ve thought about that second half.

• I can recommend his autobiography 'Lonely Boy'.

Jonesy that is not Evans, I think his will be 'I don't want to talk about the officials.'

• Is Taylor that good that we have to worry about him in that sense? The team always needs to come first.

Hanlan, Taylor or Phillips can battle with McCleary for a wide spot.

• Taylor can.play wide I reckon like Mehmeti he likes to get the ball and come inside.

• I think Taylor has been the main bright spot of the season. We've been starved of goalscoring strikers recently, and he looks one if we play to him well

• No I think you’re thinking of the 2-1 win where Baird and Bulman scored. We came from a goal down if memory serves.

Think it was Brentford away where he got his injury and then returned to City.

• edited August 2023

It is funny seeing the former 'behind the goal' lot losing their minds at the 1887 - who it sounds like did a fantastic job yesterday.

• Calmed down a little now, so can finally give my thoughts on yesterdays game

Very poor overall, where are the goals going to come from? We need to act fast, before we end up in a dogfight. Try not to shoot me down, but is there an argument to be made about trying to get the beast back til January…?

He knows what winning means to this club, will give some a kick up the backside and hopefully get a few goals on the way, can’t imagine he’d ask for a decent wage either.

• 3/10, must try harder

• I prefer the stuff he posts on his other account 🤣

• Just watched the extended highlights and think there has been some unnecessarily critical reviews. I know I was so frustrated at what was a missed opportunity in the immediate aftermath of the game. Reflecting now having watched the highlights back I can definitely see a style of play evolving and the clear creation of chances - we should have won the game and on another day we would have, most certainly so!

I would encourage fellow gasroomers to do the same - watch the extended highlights!

• I have done and just can’t see where our next win is going to come from… although if I was a betting man (which I’m not….) I’d say the Carlisle (H) would be our best bet. Hopefully the last few days of the window will see us sign a couple of stars.

• If we wear the green against Barton's lot next week, I feel confident of the win. Laundry is key here.

• If the club had the kit available before hand, even more guarantee of a win.

• That is indeed the game I'm thinking of. Did Steve Jones play particularly well that day? I've just linked him to that day in my mind for some reason

• From memory he got some mild criticism due to his a couple of his former clubs, so might have been that.

• I definitely remember him "giving it large" in the post match celebration but from memory he had a a decent game

• One thing I often take from matchday threads is that I am glad I'm too stupid to realise that I'm watching complete crap (Live and then on highlights) I assume them Couhigs are too.

• You may have something here. IIRC Max wore yellow against the Orient. Has he been in the Patak for the other three? That might explain why we are in a pickle.

• Currying favour there @Manboobs ?

• While we looked untroubled at the back, we lacked creativity and any real attacking prowess on Saturday and not scoring in the first 45 gave Burton something to hold on to.

On to Bristol!

• Agreed. The ref was pointing at his watch a few times to indicate he was adding time. But it's not just about adding time it's about the flow of the game. How much time did they waste preparing for their long throw ins.

Plus is there no longer a rule about how long a keeper can hold a ball for? Surely the ref shouldn't be signalling to the keeper to release the ball. He should book him and give a free kick.

• edited August 2023

Re: Steve Jones, my abiding memory was of him on the opening day of the 00/01 season managing to injure both of Stoke City's goalkeepers in the first 15 minutes or so. And to vaguely tie it into the Burton game, it was also a 0-0.