Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• Maybe the club will start to offer season tickets exclusively for midweek games

• Without “yeah no” and “opportoon’ies” Stewart Lewis would be almost lost for words.

• Oooh, he said opportunity!

• Clean sheet at least 😩

• Looked a little clueless without Vokes.

• Ah, those heady days we were younger, and some thought Burton would be our first Saturday win...

• edited August 2023

Really bright start but it’s a shame how much we dropped off after the 25th minute or so.

I really like Bloomfield’s philosophy and when executed effectively I’d much rather watch his team than Ainsworth’s, but Gareth certainly wouldn’t have accepted the complete lack of urgency we demonstrated from 70 minutes onwards, both in play and out of play (Max strolling up to take a GK at 98 mins).

Not sure there will be many better opportunities to get a Saturday win than against what was quite evidently a very poor Burton side.

• Great first half, poor second half from us.

The positives are we kept a clean shhet & looked more organised in defence despite the changes & our first half passing was overall pretty good. I think the players just need to maybe believe a little more in what Matt & his team are trying to get them to d; when they do it it is positive & creates chances.

• Considering the caliber of the teams we have played so far, the points total and performance level are both pretty poor. Really not clicking yet.

• I couldn't make it, but it looks like we struggled to create again, Vokes (6) and Taylor (67) chances the only two of any particular note?

• Not sure how others will interpret it but I think on another day we would be 2-0 up and cruising by half time. Not worried in the slightest about our season’s prospects after today. It will click. The individual quality is there. Once we get cohesive we’ll be flying.

• WWFC Twitter labelling Burton’s GK as the ‘hero for the Brewers’.

Am I being slow or was the only non-routine save very quickly flagged for offside? (Hanlan)

• That said, the approach play sounds very promising on the whole. Things seem to be coming together... Also sounds like Low had another beastly performance.

• Definitely their man of the match. Caught every cross and made several vital blocks.

• I don't think you can fault that display for effort but I do wonder when we will win a Saturday game.

Burton looked like a very good opportunity but after an impressive first 20 minutes it all rather withered away.

Phillips & McCleary added much needed energy when they came on but we still seemed to lack any real movement in the forwards when we are playing the ball across the back line. Without that I don't think it matters how many you play or how many touches you take it still won't create an opening.

• I thought it strange to take both strikers off when 0-0 against Burton - surely you leave one of Vokes or Taylor on and bring Hanlan and De Barr to play either side of him in a three? Unless Tafazolli isn't fit I don't see why he comes off either.

I think Potts and Scowen should always play as joint defensive midfield, allowing one of Leahy, McCleary, Breckin (if still applicable) and Phillips to play the attacking midfield role. We still need to get much better at threading balls through midfield and past the defence, especially against weak teams like Burton playing a high line.

• Their keeper was decent, but we didn't test him enough especially in the first half when we were in the ascendency.

Overall I am pleased how we have progressed defensively from the first day shambles; plus I think we can now see clealry how Matt wants the team to play & how this is starting to come together. If our progress continues as it has done over the last 2 games then I think we will have a decent season.

Today's major negative was Grimmer being stretchered off, hope he is ok.

• Much more difficult to decide on Wycombe’s MoM. At half time I was edging towards Max, because of the one magnificent save and the punch clear in the middle of a 4/5 man melee that nearly decapitated poor old Jack Grimmer.

I’ll mull it over and post something on the right thread.

• Strong first 30 minutes which had everything but a goal. From then onwards lethargic and lacking in any ideas. Hanlan on to run about a bit and let the ball bounce off him. If Wrexham do come knocking then sell, sell, sell.

• Positives today were Low and Scowen.

VKY was anonymous, not sure how he lasted 90 mins.

Bloomfield wasn't happy at the fans disgruntlement at FT, but I can understand it. It seemed like we were settling for a 0-0 at home to Burton during periods of that game, which is worrying.

• So...when is McCarthy back again?

• What on earth is a tererist? Even terrorist doesn’t make sense in the context. Very stwange.

• Don't think I've been more depressed at a 2nd half in a while. Not much because of our play, just the antipathy the game shows to fans.

5 subs completely wrecks any fluidity, although I get the little salve it gives to player welfare. Mainly is the 10 mins added time. It clearly isn't putting off teams from time-wasting, as they know they have subs. All it does is wreck the flow, and mess up a fans chance of getting home easily and making trains. Fans really don't care much about timewasting, this added time is far worse

• Not sure you can get away with the tiredness excuse two weeks into the season, Matt https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1692935446995599462?t=Tqx_yPoFrBZKZ2AjqC00UA&s=19

• edited August 2023

Agreed re. the added time. It won't make any difference - 'timewasting' is really about disruption and teams will always find ways to do that. I think you'll steadily see more injuries as a result, too - players have voiced their concerns about that, but of course they've not been listened to because what do they know...?

• Beer tent shut... yeah well done Wycombe. Don't worry about making money. Just keep charging full price for last seasons kit !