Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• I'm disappointed in the result, not so much the performance, as we still seem to be gelling more each game. We showed plenty going forward, were generally tight at the back, and despite off days from the likes of Leahy, Boyes and KVH, we probably get a routine win 7-8 times out of ten.

Wish we could have put one away, but plenty to be hopeful about.

• Wow there really are some odd uns commenting on the clubs twitter feed - clearly watched a different game from me or MB

• Not a good result but I don't have a basement and my mum's dead so I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

• In their defence, only one of them can have the communal braincell at any one time.

• Assume it’s a bunch of idiot children who focus way too much on the outcome of one game rather than how we played or how things have developed in recent weeks.

• Quickest thumb ever!

• Matty. You can’t be happy with that performance. Surely. I wasn’t and I watched Wycombe for a long time.

• Tbf to those on Twitter, we didn't really 'give it a go at the end' as MB claims

• The poster who complains about the price of Wycombe branded leisure ware is going to have a fit when he sees the £68 hoodies in the shop today.

• A win today and we’d have been 3 points off the automatics. Makes yer think.

• Leahy was frustrating today and was frustrated too. Got himself in great positions only to fluff the final pass. He will be a lovely player for us when it does click for him.

Low was imperious. Potts a Rolls Royce of a midfielder.

It just didn’t happen. And I don’t know why. If you had told me during the last 20 minutes I was watching a pre season game I would have been content. Vokes and Taylor looked very good together first 20 and then tailed off. Hanlan made a good fist of things when he arrived but couldn’t make the breakthrough. GMac looked great and then was overwhelmed. Maybe they just did a good job on us as we tried different things.

• edited August 2023

Watched from abroad but missed the first 15 minutes, and sadly must confess I found it utterly boring. Build up play looked ‘nice’ but not surprising as Burton allowed us to have the ball in our own half of the pitch. Tempo too slow, never looked like any urgency in the body language of the players to me with the exception of Phillips. Very long season ahead.

• It certainly was frustrating, especially in the first half with 67% possession, and enough chances to go 2-0 up.

Burton offered very little threat except on breakaways, and our lack of intensity after half time was baffling. Still far too many hopeful long balls to nobody in particular.

Still, we kept a clean sheet, and are starting to look more like a team than a collection of individuals. Once it all comes together, I'm confident that we will start climbing the table.

• We were very good for the first 20 and then pretty terrible from then on until about the 97th.

A very painful watch.

• That was the side I saw in pre-season, more resolute at the back but with no real attacking threat. Certainly a positive compared to the first 2 home games but we don't seem to be making any progression in terms of how we are going to win matches. Of course its early doors but Burton were a long way short of all the other teams we've played so far and even against them we allowed them to look relatively solid and secure in the second half. The personnel to survive and be a solid midtable + side is there but the system seems to be holding us back. Hopefully we can find some form over the next few weeks and thankfully the fixtures don't look too daunting. But evidently something needs to change

• edited August 2023

For me, we are beginning to gel and are just a tad off with passes just slightly behind players and so on. I like this squad and quite enjoyed today myself and I can see improvement. Hilariously from a manager who was criticised for not making subs to change games we now have a manager who makes subs which mean we 'lose the momentum.' You gotta love football fans.

Other opinions are available.

• This is spot on for me. I am amazed anyone could call that a poor performance. Uneven? Possibly, but some serious green shoots apparent.

• What a thoroughly depressing afternoon. First 20 minutes we were leagues apart. The Brewers pub team on offer spent the whole match wasting time at every opportunity to slow the game down to a crawl especially later. The weak moron that refereed the game finally booked their keeper in the 91st minute. He should have been booking players within the first quarter of an hour, their tactics were obvious from the start and so similar to some of the time wasting dross that Ainsworth served up, which I wasn’t in favour of either. An awful advertisement for league one football.

• Didn’t manage to see or hear the game today but wondered what their keepers timewasting tactic was. Delaying goal kicks or kicks from hands - yes that’s timewasting. Having the ball in play at your feet and not picking up the ball because no-one is pressing is not actually timewasting any more than an outfield player walking around with ball and not passing.

So genuine question, what were his actions?

• Bloomfield and the Couhigs next week. Who knew that ETA prefer a light and dark blue strip?

• I think he was trying to say we played like Huddersfield.

• I actually thought that was quite good. It could easily have finished 2 or 3 nil.

Pattern of passing was much improved and we played ten yards higher up the pitch.

Vokes was really good and seemed to link up better with the midfield.

We ran out of steam a bit. I don't think the heat helped. But the subs did shake things up a little and nearly brought a goal immediately.

• It was open before the game and the Vere suite was open, but not very full, after the game. Don't understand the outrage, they can only open so many bars.

• edited August 2023

Glad someone said this.

I was worried I was one of the "idiots without a braincell" for a second, as I came away from that game thinking we're pretty pedestrian and are in for a difficult season.

I don't think our wingbacks are the level needed to prop up this team. They'd have to be brilliant I feel.

We're playing our best 3 centre mids, but I don't think they gel at all well. Scowen seemed to be the furthest forward at times which was baffling.

Not sure on Leahy yet. He's sort of silky, but seems a bit slowmo, not quite Cornforth, but maybe like an angrier McGavin?

Can we move to 4-3-3 before it's too late?

This was against a woeful Burton team, 3 defeats from 3, and nailed on for relegation.

The main positive of the first 4 is that we've not played anyone decent or we could really have got a roasting or 2.

The ref seemed to have missed the time wasting memo and when he eventually booked their keeper it seemed he'd actually just passed the ball to his mate for the correct position to take the free kick from.

Oh well, I'm £26 deep in for next week. A Saturday so obviously we won't win, but it might be ok.

• Thought we were horribly disjointed for much of today with far too many hurried, misplaced passes.

But I mainly wanted to praise the terrace who I thought created a great atmosphere again. If it's a result of the 1887 initiative then great work all involved.

• Delaying kicking from hands though he had been pushing the envelope all afternoon. Without doubt also feigning injury in the last few minutes as well, very similar to Max tactics.