Skip to content

Match day thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• Blaming Vincent for the first goal would be harsh, it was a general failure by the whole team to offer any resistance to Orient in their own half that allowed them to pick the pass that opened us up.

• On holiday, so paid a tenner to watch on TV. It was a very open game and Orient can certainly ping it around, on the grass. I like our attacking intent. I had a thought during the match that MB has a "Bazball" approach to football. Give me these sort of end to end thrillers any day. Well played lads!

• Vincent was overloaded 2-1 all game. They did that deliberately and we never countered. Boyes was not.

• Nice to see the players looking like they wanted the win and coming together as a team, at least in terms of spirit if not yet tactics. There were some real talents (Low, Leahy) and potential great talents (KVY) on show. Work to be done to make it all click and for some players on rounding out their game but overall I think we have more than enough to stay safe and possibly enough to be in contention with 10 games to go.

Final 10 minutes were uncomfortable - we need to be able to keep possession when required but that was game 4 with what is effectively a new team to last year.

A win on Saturday next please.

As for the Orient management show on the bench… I’d be horrified if our staff behaved like that.

• edited August 2023

Tj was made for that last 10 mins last night, instead Hanlan came on and just jogged around the center circle, no closing down or anything.

Thought both Vokes and Taylor were great last night.

• I agree re Vincent-Young, the only new boy I'm not 100% about yet, like you say looks better going forward, than at the back, atm. Hopefully when he settles in all will be good.

• Just watched the highlights, a brilliant game and a much needed 3 points. 15 shots at goal with 6 on target is a big improvement.

As others have said, we need to be smarter defensively, and keep hold of the ball more. Only 39% possession is a little concerning, especially at home.

Thanks to all for the updates on this thread, which I was following on my phone under the poker table. Onwards and upwards to the Burton game on Saturday.

• If Hanlan was to get an offer in the closing moments of this window, I don't think the squad would be weakened. Last night's performance (or lack of) looks like he has def checked out

• Looking back at the highlights, for their first goal, it all came about through misunderstanding but also Grimmer being pulled out of position. So much so that when the cross went in, he wasn't in the penalty area. Then you had the misunderstanding from Low & Taff trying to figure out if they should close down or who they should mark and in that split second, it gave them the opportunity to score.

• Wouldn't mind seeing Hanlan go to be honest. De Barr would have been a much better option last night. They looked so fragile when pressed high and De Barr is great at pressing.

• I think the Hanlan logic was that his pace should give us a good "out" while Orient pushed forward. Didn't work out though as others have mentioned and I'd have loved to have seen Tjay come on and smash through defenders like skittles.

• I would not be surprised if Hanlan is given plenty of chances to prove himself before going in January. I keep expecting to see more from him. Agree a strong TJ might have been more effective last night.

• Hanlan didn't work last night but he was the only player making any kind of impact in the Lincoln debacle. Almost the opposite of G-Mac, who did nothing in that game and looked majestic last night.

10 pages in and still no thoughts from @trevor - wonder why that is?

• If anything, blame for the first goal lies at Grimmer who is about 20 yards ahead of his defence, leaving the other 2 to try and mark 3 men between them.

• Luckily for us he got injured in the warm up last night.

• What summed it up for me was we broke from the halfway line, GMac (36 years old?) sprinted down the wing to make the yards, three of their back four tracked him back along the line and as their defence reached the edge of their box Hanlan was 15 yards behind them, jogging. I am not sure if he switches off mentally or just don't give a toss sometimes. The result is much the same. We needed everyone in those last minutes and he was jogging about.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I don't mind him jogging forward in that situation as it's gonna come back at us anyway so bodies behind the ball were more important than getting into the box - he'd have known GMac was just going to try to hold it up. The jogging back when we were under the cosh a bit was more concerning.

• I'm a big fan of defending from the front, it was inevitable that even GMac would lose possession in which case there were 3 Orient players with miles of space ready to receive the ball and attack. By getting that bit closer it narrows their options and puts pressure on them, if you have 10 yards of space you can do as you please.

• Play the same as we did last night and we are in for a very tough season.

Lacked any cohesive play, disjointed and often careless in possession

Losing a player cost Orient the game imo. (Facebook post)

I think Wycombe will have to win a European Cup before Facebook cheers up.

• Well all of those posts are fairly accurate in my opinion. Seems a bit elitist at times to bash the Facebook group. A lot of it is pure nonsense, but the above isn’t.

• Elitist? Anyway, I wasn't saying the post was wrong but it takes a certain sort to immediately moan when we win a game. Even Trevor just hides away.

• Lacked any cohesive play? How about the build up and cross for the first goal; through ball that led to the red card; great corner routine for the second goal; intricate play for the third goal? I know we’re a long way from the finished article but credit where it’s due.

• Good going forward, Gormania levels of chaos at the back.

This season is going to be a lot of fun.

• edited August 2023

The experts are always never too high always too low. We all knew whatever happened yesterday someone would say...'Well, a win is great but...' as if no-one else (including the management) can see what needs sorting except them.

I am sure MB went home last night and said...well that's the season sorted. He had 'lost the plot' with his selection before a ball was kicked after all.

• Cracking watch last night and my eldest certainly enjoyed his first evening game.

Not much to add to what’s already been said. Naturally, the mood would be very different had we given up an equaliser, or worse. But some encouraging signs.

Leahy in particular showed supreme levels of fitness, with countless tackles and blocks, as well as his influence further up the pitch. Low looks very loveable already.

It’s a new and relatively inexperienced side that will take time to gel. Potts and Boyes were imploring the crowd for more energy during some of the lulls and will certainly rely on that to get them through some of the tricky moments.

Alas, Gormania 2.0 is up and running.

Sidenote: what happened to prompt their no. 11 grabbing his nuts and gesturing towards the Family Stand/FA? He then proceeded to gob in our direction, with most of the spittle ending up down himself. Bizarre.

• @williwycombe Sidenote: what happened to prompt their no. 11 grabbing his nuts and gesturing towards the Family Stand/FA? He then proceeded to gob in our direction, with most of the spittle ending up down himself. Bizarre.

Relative of Jamie Carragher?

• Some of the play was as good as we have seen for many a season. Quick of foot, sharp passes, excellent running etc - but we didn't do it for 90 minutes (if that is even possible). It was for the first time in a good while I have looked at a Wycombe team and thought 'jeez if we click someone is going to take an absolute tonking'. If the direction of travel is upwards we are in for an exciting season, how you coach consistency over 90 minutes is one for the grown ups.

• Alas, Gormania 2.0 is up and running.

Alas?!

• Can someone explain the advantages of the goalkeeper two centre-backs goal-kick excercise that seems to be the new thang. Looks dangerous every time to me.

• Well we were often disjointed and regularly careless in possession. Losing a player did arguably cost them the game. And if we do play like last night we are in for a tough season. So from my POV the FB group posts quoted above are fairly accurate.

I do think we have a hell of a lot of potential though. We could be regularly ripping teams apart by next calendar year. The amount of individual quality on show is outstanding.