Skip to content

Match day thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• Clearly an important 3 points but hardly convincing. Not sure we’ve got the players to play 3 at the back. Not convinced with either Boyes or KVY defensively, so causes problems for the three at the back. Like the look of Low and Leahy and Taylor’s goal will do him a lot of good. The reality is , it looked like we had 10 men. Still a massive of lot of work to do.

• Nice to get a win. Defence just needs to push up a bit and not be on Maxs toes. Not sure about Hanlan just jogged around , would of been better with De Barr to close the defenders.

• I suspect Hanlan was less likely to get a caution from Mr Card Happy Ref than TJ would have been hence the choice to put him on

• Busy referee, Thomas Parsons.

15 yellows and 2 reds in his first three matches plus whatever the card count was for the Orient retinue.

• I just can't get used to watching a team so open at the back after the discipline of the Ainsworth years. But, we're off the mark and I hope that lifts some of the pressure off Bloomfield. There's a huge chance to back it up against Burton on Saturday too.

BTW I thought Orient looked a decent side. Or maybe we made them look decent. Very much doubt they'll be in any danger of relegation.

• Does MB not fancy McCleary? He is probably our only "locksmith".

Haven't been able to get to any games yet due to childcare commitments but how does Leahy look?

• The numbers might seem a little dramatic, and I’ll admit the bias of winning the game may be giving me rose-tinted glasses towards the ref, but I don’t think there were too many (if any) cards that I disagreed with tonight (ignoring the ones given to non-playing staff which always feels very much like a pantomime).

Clear time-wasting and kicking the ball away early on from Orient, and he also got Max‘s card right.

I’ll need to see it again but the red also felt pretty clear-cut as I think it’s the last man…

• The problem is, with this midfield, you're almost forced to play 3 at the back.

We've not got a sitting midfielder to cover for when Scowen charging about, to play 442.

Also, playing 433 would probably waste Taylor, who was one of our best today, and again who is disciplined enough to hold the midfield in the 3?

Plus, our full backs seem our best prospects. Playing them in a 442 would leave us more exposed than right now, if that can be possible.

All in, we pressed much better in the 2nd half. Seemed to struggle to know how to play against 10 until Keogh came on. Then, utterly panicked when they got the 2nd. Still, a good win.

There were glimpses of what could happen if it all clicks. We did look vulnerable to almost every attack, once Orient had skipped our marauding midfield. We need to know how to keep the ball well and slow play down.

I'm left more excited about the season than I was this morning, so that must be something.

• I thought the game was refereed fantastically. Too many games are ruined by officials that fail to enforce the rules.

The red card may be deemed soft by some but it was a clear pull by the last man. Straight red means there's proper jeopardy for defenders in that situation.

• Well, I watched that on the TV as I had an operation yesterday and the match was too soon for me. Wife didn't want to go, (again), so daughter dropped her brother off & wifey picking him up now, so we had a representative at the match. We really did make hard work of that, but what it highlights to me was how quickly we can go from euphoria to dismay in a nano second. Yes we looked good at times, but against 10 men? I honestly thought Orient were the better side for most of that game by keeping the ball well, but not really hurting us in the 1st half. 2nd half after the second half I was screaming at the TV to go into a high press and force them to play the long ball so our centre baks could eat up the play. We really didn't do it enough, maybe the forwards did, but the midfield didn't follow which gave them uneasier way out. On the plus side, Taylor, Leahy, Vokes, Low & Boyes were very impressive and likewise McCleary when he came on, were very good. KVS was a bit erratic, but better overall. Onwards and upwards a better showing generally but still very fragile at the back which still requires a lot of work.

• McCleary’s coming back from injury I believe, and before tonight I thought he’d looked a little rusty. He was outstanding tonight though, looked a class above when he came on.

Leahy was superb, popped up all over the place and I’d imagine he clocked more miles than anyone else on the pitch.

• Wycombe Wanderers

@wwfcofficial

Better than a night in playing Football Manager in your mum’s basement.

Cheeky.

• Variation proposed to a popular football chant title:

’Can we play you every week (on a Tuesday)?’

• edited August 2023

That’s exactly what I was hoping for in the opening two league games. So much individual quality. All we need is time. The signs are there. By February, this squad could look outstanding. I see more individual quality than in previous seasons. Just need to glue them together as a unit now.

A lot of structural fragility on show though. Definitely not getting carried away. Give this team time. Matt is building something.

• I feel relief more than anything else. 3 points gets us up and running, a little confidence in the veins, and keeps the wolves from the door a little for Blooms.

I must say, that was an absolute superb watch, too - well done to all involved including the officials!

• Interesting that the possession and total passes stats look very Ainsworth

• So...do we know any hypnotists to make MB think it is a Tuesday this coming Saturday?

• Blooms confirms Taf injured

• Off the mark and a couple of people watching on tv tell me that sending off was very harsh. Felt it was spot on at the time, but who cares. A massive break and we needed that!

Not hugely convincing, but 3 goals and could have had more. Not bad for a team who looked fairly bleak in terms of goals in the first 2 games.

Saturday is huge now. Opponent in poor form, can we break the Saturday jinx plus also win 2 games in a row for the first time under MB?

Great to see Martin O Neill on the pitch too.

• I only saw the last 15 mins but from what I saw, he seems to be developing a very good understanding with Boyes, great passing interplay.

• Not sure I can take another 40 odd games like that but what a great night. We have some good footballers in that side. Agree we should have been able to put Orient to the sword with 11 but there are some players who looked reluctant to have a shot when they were well placed. Hopeful for Saturday...got to be a Taylor hattrick against Burton?

Joe Low might turn out to be a great signing...but I am still impressed with Boyes and Leahy concocted the move for the second goal. Happy Tuesday.

• Dare I say it was almost a little Gorman-sequel at times!

Also, well done to the crowd today, we made some pretty good noise.

• He might have reached the point where he is not necessarily a regular starter but McLeary coming on against tired legs is a great sight to behold.

• That was a very entertaining game and a win, a win!

on to Saturday with a bit more confidence and maybe Matty has a better idea of shape and squad to start the game with.

wasn’t Josh great again tonight?

• 8 goals conceded in 3 games. Against teams who are very unlikely to be anywhere near the playoffs. Not sure 3 at the back works.

• Good win to build confidence and some real positives there, with good performances from Low, Boyes, Max and Taylor. Lots of learnings though and Orient produced some good chances throughout.

Still a work in progress but great to see Matt’s delight at the end and thought the atmosphere on the terrace was good! Roll on Saturday and hopefully we can build on the positives moving forward.

• Fantastic game! Yes there's lots to improve on, but for now I'll just enjoy the 3 points and some really impressive individual performances. We had a bit of luck with the sending off, looked very harsh to me.

Orient looked a good side, don't think they'll have any problems once they get a win. They played some slick football and caused plenty of problems when down to 10 men, strangely a lot more than when they had 11, when I felt we were the more potent side.