Skip to content

Match day thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• It was great to get 3 points on the board and a very entertaining game, mainly due to our formation and Orient pushing forward with 10 men.

Lets not kid ourselves though we still look weak defensively and we could well have been beaten if they’d not had a player sent off.

Onwards to Burton and hopefully another better performance and a first clean sheet in the League

• I think we will get better. We've got a few young guys in the midfield that seem to be used to a more gentle standard of football (IE u21s and pre season tours) and we've massively lost grit as a result. But I enjoy that Blooms has is trying to play it about a bit more. I think it's easier to play pretty and learn to be tough than the other way around. So if we can manage that we might have the game to beat good teams without having to do the backs to the wall destroy job. That said, being pretty and not at all tough is what caused Rochdale to drop out of the league so there's no guarantee it'll work...

Thought low was great tonight and Potts looked a massive improvement on the lad that went off who did fuck all to the extent I can't even remember his name.

• Is Tools available?

• Ten men play better than eleven is a football cliche as old as the hills

• That’s ridiculously harsh on Phillips who I thought was much more effective than Potts. Each to their own though.

• McCleary does not seem to enjoy pressing, so I can imagine he won't be starting a huge amount of games this season.

• Just had a quick look for highlights, which are not up yet; to whet the appetite for when they are up, here's a Tuesday night fixture against the O's from a few years back featuring a goal from Mr Kashket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGGlWqTbvac

• Totally agree re the press against 10 men. We didn't commit to it and they were able to pop it round Vokes and Taylor, with our wing backs only following in after the event. Pushing Boyes and KVY right up would have forced them to play long to a lone striker against two towering defenders.

• I thought Mr Parsons had a good game. His card stats may be typical this season. I’ve not seen stats for any other referees.

• Great game and would have been a cracker to any neutral that came along.

The red card was a game changer but correctly given even tho it was on the softer side, still the correct decision.

I don't understand why we sat back for the last 10 mins, but thankfully their shooting was more wayward so the time could tick away.

We need to sort out our flanks. Going forward, they are excellent in offering another option that we haven't seen used in quite some time. However, we also appeared very stretched when we lost possession and the attacks were going down the flanks.

All the signings (who played) put in a shift which was good to see and I thought we seems very balanced between our 2nd & 3rd goal. I'd still like to see more from Philips but I hope my earlier criticism comes back to bite me.

How many of their bench got booked today? Did their manager get Red carded too at full-time? Why say anything to the ref then? He can't undo anything..... Will they get fined for having too many people booked or does that only apply to players?

• I thought Phillips was causing them a lot of headaches myself...but obviously I was wrong.

• Main positive tonight was the we looked up for the fight. Much sharper all around the pitch and several players really put a shift in, including two new recruits in Leahy and Taylor, which is good to see. We could have crumbled after the equaliser but came out punching second half, culminating in the red card incident. We won't get anywhere with the kind of slopey shouldered stuff on display second half at Lincoln so the attitude tonight was crucial.

Several good individual performances and one or two signs of some better attacking threat. Nonetheless, there is still a lot of work to do on the training ground. Too slow to cycle the ball across the back 5, Not compact enough when we lose the ball, no clarity on the passing patterns to get from front to back. The list of things we need to improve is quite lengthy.

I thought the atmosphere was good on the terrace. Credit to Tom (no longer with the drum) who was a very positive influence in getting people behind the team.

Shout out to Orient as well, who made a good game of it with 10 men and looked very good on the ball.

• I completely agree with you. It was Philips. I said my piece earlier, time to move on

• Shout out for the fans tonight, created a good atmosphere and gave vocal support when we needed it. Thought Orient played really well and we needed those saves from Max.

We are Wycombe and we never do things the easy way, do we?

• I believe 2 of their background staff got red cards at the end of the match tonight. Suspensions for both, who will be on the touchline for them on Sat?

• Looked like two reds after the final whistle for the manager and one another (presumably the assistant). Must be a fine for 3 reds in a game.

• According to their forum, a familiar face in one Mr Matthew Harrold, their coach (as opposed to manager).

Cue shuddering memories of early 1-0 leads and then parking the bus for most of the game…aargh.

• edited August 2023

This was my first game all season, I had a good feeling if only because it wasn't a Saturday.

Judging from what I'd heard and read about the first two league games, I was expecting an incohesive mess with individually gifted players failing to gel. From the start I got a good impression from our confidence to pick out passes in tight areas and move play on when needed, Low's goal was deserved.

We then retreated into a John Gregory-esque ultra defensive shell after the goal, inviting Orient to come onto us. We quite simply don't have the players, organisation and discipline to soak up pressure that that tactic requires. The equaliser was almost inevitable, the Orient left back had all the time in the world to pick out a pass to spring the offside trap and carve out a well worked goal.

We looked much better trying to get on the ball and not sit back after the equaliser, I really hope this sitting back won't become a fallback everytime we score first.

Leahy was probably my favourite of the new signings, has a bit of Peter Murphy about him, a player who we never really replaced. Taylor also looks a useful player if we can get the ball into his feet, his close control is fantastic and may just unlock defences in tight games.

Low was outstanding in defence aside from his goals, an excellent signing by the looks of things.

Maybe tonight was the first signs of a very exciting team emerging from the chrysalis, although there is a lot of work to be done on managing the game when we're in the lead, as we look far from convincing in that department. But at least we had a lead to hold. Or even scored a goal...

• "while Orient boss Richie Wellens and coach Paul Terry were both sent red cards for remonstrating with the officials" from our match report

• Hmm. Wikipedia sez Wellens: Head Coach, Terry: Asst. Head Coach, Harrold: First Team Coach…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyton_Orient_F.C.

• Which one of those two was doing that David Brent-esque flashdance fused with MC Hammer shit after the deserved red card? Should have been sent off for that alone.

• Ah yes, Paul Terry, just as unsavoury a character as his brother by all accounts.

• Leahy looks a Wycombe player through and through - he just suits the club to the ground already.

Very pleased that Low and Vincent-Young are permanent signings, too.

• They'd already got the yellows for their reconstructions on the red.

Then later looked pretty lucky not to get sent off for doing some bizarre animated pointing left then right then left as if mocking the linesman for not calling throws right.

To then have another goon on the bench booked and two reds at the end is pathetic.

The ref himself we wondered if he'd forgotten the new time wasting rule at throws.

Allowed their right back ages to take two throws then surprisingly booked him on the 3rd when he'd taken fractions of the time of the other 2.

How they put 10mins in for that 2nd half is worrying for agame that didn't seem to have much going on. We're going to have some 15-20min jobs this season aren't we?

• I thought the ref was excellent, can we have him every week ?

• Backs against the wall for the last ten minutes. We need a striker who will run and run and close from the front, chase the defenders, annoy everyone, give it their all and when we break get right up there to support. Here’s Tjay? Oh

• I thought Taylor played that role very effectively

• Agree with your views on Leahy and Low but yet to be convinced on Vincent-Young. Appears ok going forward but defensively very poor. Gets caught out of position too often ( their first goal) and doesn’t offer much support to the right centre back.