Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter

Comments

• If it's been done with the aim of keeping things compact at the back, that's kind of failed too...

• I'm not sure it would be narrower this season, Ainsworth had it narrowed to the minimum permitted by the Football League fairly early in his reign.

• I'm not worried about this season, we will be fine. Exeter are a evidently a very good side.

In response to your comments, I'd like to be enlightened on what pre season is for. Coupled with the importance of getting business done early, to be competitive, you can't afford to use league games to "bed in".

• not sure what to say about today. Really disjointed. Men against boys until Scowen arrived.

Boyes by far and away the best player on the park, I’d encourage him to be more bold and get into the space more often down the left hand side. Got a feeling he’ll be our player of the season.

Potts ok but am reasonably certain was one of the main players at fault for first goal but not seen any highlights.

I love JJ & Grimmer but we cannot play both of them in a back 3, especially not with Keogh.

Kane looked great going forwards but defensively all over the shop, I hope his heading today was below par and not the norm.

We didn’t look any different from last season. Not sure if we have a style yet but we really need to sign someone with some more pace.

having said all of the above, I thought Exeter were excellent and I can see why there is so much interest in Nombe. Head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch.

• Exactly how I felt last season. If you're joining somewhere that is already succeeding the smart approach is 'evolution not revolution'.

• I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on the standard of performance, but have we ever played a league match in which 7 of the starting 11 were making their debut? A start as shambolic as that doesn't seem like a shock in those circumstances (though it did raise memories in my head of the infamous Oldham game at the end of Lawrie Sanchez's time in charge).

• To be fair Exeter had six debutants too (and a seventh after 15 mins).

We lost a game of football. It happens.

• Baffled by all the Hanlan slating. In a 3 up top and him working as an inside forward he has performed well for us in the last couple of years. Yes it was a woeful display all round but let’s not start outing players after one game - pretty poor stuff.

My highlights were a decent pint of Neck Oil, a chat with the wholesome Darius Charles and the soap dispensers in the Woodlands which curled out turd shaped foamy goodness. The burger was tasty but rubbery and the chips a solid 9/10.

Pete Couhig was quieter than usual. Awaiting the Paul Rudd revolution no doubt …..

• I've seen a lot of people blaming it on too many new players at once, as Dev said, Exeter also had a lot of new players and they looked fine. Its a poor excuse. We had a bad day, hopefully it'll pick up in the next few weeks and we'll be fine. Shame though as did burst everybody's excitement from pre game.

• Its only game week 1, we all knew the new players would take some bedding in.

With Forino, Taf, McCleary, Scowen and Vokes goodly fit to start next week, we will be a different prospect altogether.

We do need pace up front though.

• I don’t know where the goodly came from 🤦

• one of the things that surprised me most was how poor in the air we were, particularly around both penalty areas. I can only remember one defensive header we actually won from a corner or free kick - and that went straight to one of there players with a shot on goal the outcome.

Can’t remember any offensive headers at all we won from our corners, free kicks or long throws.

Once Vokes came on though he did win his share in the opposition half

• ‘performed well for us in the last couple of years’

An excellent goal against Ipswich. A decent goal v Bristol Rovers plus one other last season. He’s zero threat. When tightly marked he’s lost as to how to get anything out the game. I don’t think he can be coached to improve now.

• He’s been poor under Bloomfield but doubt many wide forwards would excel with the ball being booted at their heads with a 6’4” defender manhandling them behind. Get with it fella.

• Slightly off track now. There was a portrait brought into the Vere suite. It depicted notable characters from Wycombe's rich history. It think it was with some of the 1887 group. The picture looked amazing. Is it a new piece and where does it hang? It was carted off by a familiar figure who inadvertently gave me an insight into his opinion of a certain previous employee. The joy of being an innocent bystander!

• Anyone know what Exeter’s preseason looked like? Did they have some actual friendlies? They definitely looked like they’d met before.

• Despite having a load of new players as well, which is the reason we lost apparently.

• edited August 2023

Yesterday was awful but there is also a danger in completely going off on another direction because it didn't work, or work yet. I think we probably did that in the game and it didn't help.

Not sure we can fault going with the 7 starters, for reasons above and seemingly unfit regulars, if anything JJ would be one of those you'd miss out for midweek, if others were fit.

Through pre-season they looked to have a shape coming on with some concern about attacking options and how we move the ball up through the team but obviously we are up against better opposition now and higher intensity.

They seemed to panic, one sloppy pass led to the first goal and with the opposition sensing weakness and pressing the pass we tried to push longer balls rather than calmly reset to what they had worked on. Keogh seemed to take it all a bit personally asking for every ball immediately from fullbacks and goalie and trying to hit "Hollywood" long passes forward, without any real success.

I think most of the kids will get better and ultimately one or two might prove not up to it. Prem teams aren't loaning us players who are ready made and proven and we won't get the quality if we won't invest the time.

Interesting how some of the most rabid stuff I've read on social media seems to include also slagging off and not wanting Ainsworth back despite being thinking Blooms is hopeless, too early all round for that and I can only hope it's not a shadow over the season. A win or two soon and we can get on with the season properly hopefully.

McCleary and Scowen and Vokes probably all need to come back in when fit.

I'd probably have released Hanlan if his contact was up last season, he had a spell of a few games where he ghosted past defenders due to his pace and quick thinking but his control and strength don't seem to be up to him doing that consistently and he doesn't seem to be able to adjust his game to be effective from wide or upfront, but then we've said before it really doesn't matter who you have if you're going to lump it over their heads to the opposition defenders. Crossing from deep is harder than from out wide but we seem to have been dreadful at it for a while now.

On the 1887 should probably add that they made a lot of effort and that is to be commended, maybe the terrace isn't really the problem, they can't really be heard from the far end of the FA, and don't need encouragement when we are playing well, but the idea that you sing regardless of result and where you are in the stadium might minimise quiet periods if it can take root.

• Others have mentioned this already but waking up this morning my one abiding lament is about our failure to widen the pitch in pre-season. Narrowing it was one of my least favourite moves by Ainsworth, it was pretty much a guarantee that we'd only play long ball under him. Bloomfield wants to play a different, more attractive way. He's brought in speedy wing backs who both look like they can run with the ball and whack in crosses. But they're going to struggle when they run into a congested midfield because there's no width for them to roam free. It's going to constrain our play and that saddens me.

• Ok here’s my view of him yesterday. He’s a quick player, he’s strong but not the strongest, technically his touch is not good enough to be the hold up player, he was up against a big but not athletic player. So get on the shoulder of your defender, drift away from your defender, even though you know the ball is not going to be yours move somewhere else and hope he follows you giving space for others. He’s too easy to defend against. His defender had such an easy afternoon. And I respect what you say about his role under Bloomfield but when the whistle goes he can figure out problems himself.

• Opinions may vary on Hanlan but can't we all agree that punting the ball up towards his head isn't ever going to amount to much?! After all, it's not like we haven't tried it before...

• Bayo was great at being able to bring anything fired from distance to within a ten yard radius under control, moving defenders out of the way if necessary, it's just not a thing others can do easily, passing and anticipation need to be better. Midfielders need to be knowing how and where forwards like to receive the ball and forwards need to be better at making runs into dangerous areas. Defenders also need to know their strengths and give the ball to creative players rather than sail it long. Oh, and we need more pace and tempo everywhere. Not sure we'll get all of that by Tuesday.

• StrongestTeam - I agree with everything that you've said. However, I think that we've had quite long enough to work out that long balls in the air to Hanlan isn't the way to go! After all, I'm sure that we tried it ad nauseam under Ainsworth!

• Not the best start but give Bloomfield time and it will come together, we can't use last seasons run in as they weren't his players and any manager would of struggled with injuries to key players, leaving us with development filling the bench. Yesterday's game plan went balls up after 30 seconds,the early goal meant Exeter could leave everyone behind the ball,so no space for the wingback to attack. My main issue yesterday was playing 2 slow defenders against Nombe who had space to burn and looked threatening everytime he got the ball.

• Absolutely, I'm only hoping they wanted to pass it around a bit more but brains got fried with the frantic start. Needs bravery from the players too, to show for the ball in midfield having given it away before, to give the ball knowing it might come back and to put your hand up and say to the boss that maybe that role doesn't suit you when it wasn't designed for you and you might be on the bench otherwise.

• First two Exeter goals were pretty jammy. Lots of bounces seem to go their way yesterday. Not offering anything going forward until Scowan came on was the most worrying thing for me.

• Nothing jammy about the first one - pure sloppiness from Grimmer

• And was it Leahy who played them in perfectly for the third? That was spectacularly poor. Far too many players half-asleep out there yesterday, for which there's no excuse.

• My thoughts exactly. People can talk about tactics and formations until they are blue in the face, but if you gift the opposition possession on the edge of your box, or you defence doesn't head away crosses that come into your box then you're in trouble whatever way you're set up.

We didn't do the basics nearly well enough, and we didn't play with anywhere near the required intensity yesterday. And that's a pretty sad thing to type out.

• I think the club can expect some strongly worded responses