Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter

Comments

• Have we?

• 80 minutes and the first bang is heard from the much-hyped drum.

• another dreadful defensive mistake gifts them their third

• We are way short of League One standard today

• Fucking hell this is bleak. Like Wigan away in the midst of time, but without scoring a goal.

At least Port Vale are covering us.

• edited August 2023

I have a sneaking suspicion we will not look this disjointed or play this badly again this season

• edited August 2023

Quite shocked at how shit we've actually been. Even worse than the back end of last season.

• Based on today, next 11:

Stryjek

Grimmer

Forino

Taffs

Boyes

Vincent-Young

Scowen

Leahy

GMac

Vokes

Taylor

• I agree that Taf is key, but he’s obviously out injured. Not sure he’ll be in contention for a while

• If this is the quality of the players we have signed, we haven’t a chance this season.

• I guess the silver lining is: at least this has happened early so we can sort

• We all new the team could take time to gel, and we were unlucky that Scowen was not quite ready to go. It was a case of "everything that can go wrong, did."

I am still sticking with my midtable finish prediction.

• At least it's not Port Vale

• My snapshot summary. 9 decent players out there. Tactically inept plus a couple of individual errors and that’s the result.

• A lot of people seem convinced that Blooms will get it right in time, but where is that coming from? Seems like blind optimism on the evidence so far (today and last season).

• We seriously cannot start again with both Keogh & JJ at the back, neither has any pace, Forino or Low has to start.

Similarly, whilst I think Breckin has the makings of a decent player he is no Scowen or Potts or Leahy, it is those 3 who need to start in the midfield; we looked so much better when Scowen came on today.

Kane Vincent-Young & Boyes look decent put need to push forward more, as they did in the second half, to create width etc.

Taylor looks a handful, though he got pretty poor service all day so didn't really have the chance to show what he is actually capable of.

As ever we still do not seem to know how to get the best out of Vokes, or frankly any other forward with far too many speculative deep crosses thrown mindlessly into the box, rather than trying to play to feet.

• For those of you there, how were the 1887? I know the stuffing got knocked out of us early, but was there a difference once we were on top in the second?

• If we won 6-0 today, we couldn't immediately say we'd boss the league. Its the same with the loss.

Again, we have 7 debutants with a young, new manager. It was never going to be easy. I said, we're not really thinking of promotion, so let's judge in November

• And maybe he is a good coach, but we won't know if he doesn't show some kind of bravery. If he wants to play possession football, fucking play it. Put your stamp on the team.

• Good God. We're one of the first games to finish today. What is going on??

• I got loads of hate for saying that in another thread.

• It's only a long time because of the summer break in fairness

• Hanlan is not good enough. For whatever shortcomings we had today and there were many having zero attacking outlet with him in the team is the big standout. He has attributes for sure but does not know how to use them. I’m the coach of Lincoln I say go tight on him and it’s game over. He can’t turn, he can’t get himself in space, he doesn’t read a pass, he’s not league 1 standard.

Maybe giving debuts to 3 players in senior football was not the thing to do. Rabbit in the headlights to start with and I hope not too damaging for their confidence.

Horrible

• A few observations from today:

1) Conceding that early in a game immediately sets the tone for the rest of the 90 and often throws out a game plan before it’s even started. Let alone conceding twice. So although defensively soft, I wouldn’t assume that mad few minutes is our standard for the season.

2) The third goal was a little bit against the run of play and was genuinely unlucky from our perspective. Great finish.

3) A lot of our debutants actually looked pretty good. Was impressed by Potts and Boyes, and Taylor had some nice touches and looked a threat provided we can give him some service.

4) We missed Scowen in the first half as you’d expect. If nothing else, he’s always an option for the CBs to play forward to out of defence. Too much sideways / backwards from the CBs in the first half as no one came short for it.

5) I would like to see a second ‘true’ CB next week, I like one of JJ and Grimmer but both leaves us a little unbalanced.

6) Exeter’s number 6 should have been booked for trying to rugby tackle Leahy to the ground when he lost the ball. Refs simply have to be stronger there or players will feel that they can do more and more ridiculous things without getting disciplined.

7) The atmosphere genuinely seemed good initially but a goal after 30seconds sucked the life out of everyone. Not much the newly formed supporter’s group (or anyone for that matter) can do about that.

—-

There will be better days ahead this season and we shouldn’t throw everything out with that performance.

• edited August 2023

#BloomfieldOut

^^^ clearly ironic for anyone who believes this is serious btw