Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter

Comments

• It seems to be based on him keeping the Wycombe spirit together.

Even though we play differently and we've signed a tonne of new players.

Very worried. We wrote off the last 2.5months of last season, of not winning either 2 in a row or on a Saturday at all.

And found ourselves 2 down after 3mins and almost 3 after 7.

Barely troubled what will be a mid table Exeter and it all looks wrong.

Lose the 3 at the back ASAP.

Don't combine Potts and Breckin in a 3.

Don't field Haaland and Taylor as a front 2 again.

For starters.

• Also, if we get the stone cold penalty after an hour (or whatever it was) we are probably at 1-2 with all the momentum. Terrible refereeing.

• For some reason I had assumed the Whiff-Away stand announcement had been an April Fools joke. Turns out, it's a headline that just writes itself.

Great penalty save by Max, foolhardy foul to give it away in the first place and he just stood rooted to the spot for the second goal despite three shots coming in.

Keogh showed leadership qualities but Grimmer and Jacobson looked lethargic. Forino and Low to replace them next match, please.

Really like both wing-backs, both look like they can cross the ball and Boyes in particular was very promising. Max released the ball to them a few times but we need to make much more use of this resource rather than just pumping it up long. It reminded me of JJ and Sido's first match ten years ago, the excitement then of having full-backs driving forward and dictating the tempo.

Leahy will be a good addition (not just for the dark arts, which he seems Wycombized in already). Potts will learn a lot from Scowen. Breckin could prove to be the new Luke Bolton though - if we're strengthening before the window closes, attacking midfield is where we need to concentrate.

Taylor looked a handful. Hanlan did not. Vokes and McCleary I'm worried by as both seemed sluggish - but it's early days and I'm sure they'll pick up speed soon.

I will not be one of @StrongestTeam's bed-wetters. Bloomfield is still learning - and the starting 11 will improve immeasurably with Scowen back in it and more speed in central defence.

• You write this as if it's some renegade huge movement of vociferous support.

It was a few guys waving big flags until kick off.

• edited August 2023

I genuinely had no idea - it has been pushed a lot as a movement, even by the club itself. I thought it was going to be a huge section of the terrace singing Dusty Springfield, or something.

• PBoPBo
    edited August 2023

Absolutely livid at the hoofs to Hanlan (as others have already noted).

He is not a target man, never was, never will be.

He has positive attributes, but aerial threat is not one of them.

That’s on MB though.

At times last season, we were bemoaning the lack of quality balls into the box as a reason why Vokes wasn’t banging them in…we didn’t really have that excuse today with the service from Boyes (and even KVY on a couple of occasions).

It’s true that by that point, Exeter could throw men behind the ball and soak up the pressure, but still frustrating to watch.

Anyway. Some positive debuts out there today, but we need to buck our ideas up immediately as far as team cohesion.

There’s also decent strength in depth in the squad, and good to see MB isn’t afraid to actually use his subs.

• Its right to question Blooms, but we appointed a rookie manager, what did we expect. If you want young managers to succeed you need to give them time

• Haha whoops. That's how much today unsettled me.

• If we’re going to play with a central attacking midfielder, do we have any options other than Breckin? Because he might be a phenomenal prospect but he doesn’t look ready to be first choice yet.

• McCleary there if we insist on 5-3-2.

Hopefully we'll move more to what we finished with, 5-2-3, or preferably for me, ditch this back 3 altogether.

• As I feared. I don’t think we’ve signed a good enough squad. I think the defensive problems of today will iron themselves out but lack of attacking cohesion is a big concern. We desperately need alternative attacking options.

Today might end up being a good thing though. There appeared to be a lot of self-satisfaction in terms of the transfer business and it could be a good kick up the backside.

That said I thought there were some promising signs (especially Potts and Boyes) and when the team can gel there is some small reason for optimism.

• Have you made a decision about the playoffs yet @ReturnToSenda ?

• I think I'll stick with my prediction of mid-table

• Have to admit, I was worried when I saw our line up. Looks like the injuries forced Blooms hand, as 7 debutants including a couple making senior debuts isn't ideal.

Hopefully we'll start to gel with Scowen back starting and once the new players have more games. There were some bright individual performances. Certainly no need to panic

• I expected a more experienced manager and not someone signed on pure feelings and nostalgia.

• Well played Exeter- fully deserved the win. I think they will have a good season. Easy to say after the event, but they looked the part.

• Just checking...are the people who before this game said its going to take time for the team to gel with so many new players and we need a bit of patience the bedwetters who will cancel anyone who does not support MB?

• After today that's you in the nauseatingly positive camp.

• Yep. Trevor will be playing "celebrate good times" wearing his favourite pants on his head letting the good times roll.

• edited August 2023

As long as I've finished my ranting before someone shows up saying it's one game, nothing is won day 1 we have a great squad and all this stuff.

I might have to smash my phone and or laptop up if that happens.

• He certainly has a lot to prove. When he arrived he said there was no point in changing a winning formula and promptly tinkered with it.

Now we have a whole new formation and seven new starters but we can't blame today's result on them. After all, we lost 3-0 to Cheltenham and 2-0 to Lincoln in our last two home games with the old players.

• Oh and though the loss was not down to him...the ref was awful. (Sorry @eric_plant )

• That was an Ainsworth performance. If plan a is not working stick to plan a. They overloaded an inexperienced midfield. Got the ball quickly to strikers against 2 slow defenders. Ensured they had more bodies in the box than us when crosses came in. They smothered Hanlan. And tragically they wanted it more. Skill I can excuse. Application I can’t. And they did this from minute 1.

• Very strange day made even stranger by the fact I pretty much agree with everything @aloysius said.

At half time I was genuinely concerned but second half there were glimpses of the potential quality of some of our new signings so left a little happier despite the result than I could have done.

So my thoughts are that we probably do have enough quality there to do okay (agree with others that we probably need a creative attacking midfielder to do better than okay) and it will be up to MB to make it work.

Fingers crossed he has what it takes to do so

• Oh by the way. I thought their number 10 was excellent whoever he is/was

• I always dread it when I see he is refereeing our fixture - after the Giles Phillips red card! I even groaned last week when I saw his name on the list for JJ’s testimonial.

• I’m sorry but the appointment of Bloomfield has been a absolute disaster,the bloke has not got a clue.Its like when o Neil left and smith came in ripped up the team. We will be lucky to survive mark my words