Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter

Comments

• I'm feeling positive and I don't care who knows it.

The player recruitment has been excellent. The culture of the club has not changed even though we have quite a different character behind the desk for his first full season. Communication seems to be improving. Catering seems sorted.

NOTHING CAN GO WRONG NOW

• 4-0 home win 😉

• Why is that lion so malnourished? And why is it holding a fancy jar of honey?

• I like the always faithful/loyal motto. Can’t see the jar of honey 🍯 on tiny (not tinny, @ReturnToSenda !) iPhone screen.

• The Exeter forum seem happy with a draw. Their team has undergone changes similar to ours so it's all a bit of an unknown for everyone.

Jokes about the WhiffAway stand are going to feature a lot this season, I'd guess.

• edited August 2023

I’m so happy that today has arrived. My partner is less pleased having been promised that I’d be more present as soon as the Ashes finished (she’ll never learn).

You all make my Saturdays infinitely better and I can’t wait to plug Adams Park into Google Maps.

On a more football level - I think we could all spend a number of hours guessing line ups and I’m not sure anyone would get it nailed on. First season in a while where I’ve genuinely had no idea who will be playing or what our system will be, and that’s really exciting.

See you at AP!

• Just get off to a good start, keep the feel good momentum going.

• 1-1 home draw barely look like scoring.

Gasroom angry all night.

Just kidding, solid 2 nil win, gasroom in raptures all night, fb group silent.

• Welcome back Matchday Thread...oh how we have missed you!

• WANDERER UPDATE: Due to the bad weather, we sadly won’t be selling fanzines from the WWISC stall today. WWISC members can still collect their free copy from the committee members who will be in the Vere Suite before the game. Non-members can also buy them, subject to availability, but please be aware the main bulk will now go on sale before the Burton home game on Saturday 19th. We apologise for any disappointment.

• At our meet up on Thursday, I suggested to Phil that it would be a good idea to put the player names and shirt numbers on the big screen, so that everyone gets familiar with who's who in the new look squad.

He thought that was worth doing, and was going to suggest it for today's game. I hope we might see that today.

• Really intrigued by the first game this season.

I can’t decide whether our performance in the transfer market has been poor, impressive or average and today will give clues.

The optimism is good to see but nine new signings (four of them loans) when 16 players departed in May shouldn’t be seen as outstanding in terms of numbers. Clearly further signings are necessary to support squad depth for one.

The defence and midfield look good with some good names on paper arriving from Premier League clubs. I’m struggling to see how we are going to score goals though. I’d say lack of creativity in attack is a major weak link on paper. Hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised.

As I say, I’m intrigued but think we are a bit short. Hopefully I can be proved wrong.

• We are going to win today because........THIS IS THIS

• Really looking forward to the game today. I have a good feeling about this season. So do the bookies. Best odds to get promoted 7/1. Enjoy.

• This one will be seen from a small town in France that looks eerily similar to a small town in Northumberland. Good things are expected.

• Hopefully Taylor can go on a run and Vokesey and others support, Leahy and the Wingbacks (Great band name) should chip in and can see us being decent still from set pieces. Bit of patience required if we aren't leading until late on.

• 16 players out? I make it 13, and only seven first-teamers.

• The following left in the summer:

Curtis Thompson

Lewis Wing

Tyla Dickinson

Jordan Willis

Daryl Horgan

Nick Freeman

Adam Leathers

Josh Blunkell

Charles Hagan

Arnold Matshazi

Ben Kaninda

Dominic Gape

Jordan Obita

Jack Wakely (out on loan)

Chem Campbell (end of loan)

Harvey Cartwright (end of loan)

• edited August 2023

Ah, forgot about the loanees. Still, we've pretty much replaced everyone of note. And there's still a month of the window to go - we look in a very strong position already.

• Thanks @BSE - first thing I looked for was this thread. Winged horses stay grounded and lion is failing to roar in any significant way.

Now I must look for @devC's thread to see how that translates into a prediction.

• Any potential threat to the fixture from the torrential rain, or do we think the pitch will comfortably handle it?

• We haven't had a game rained off in about 20 years, have we?

• edited August 2023

We'll abandon a game if there's thunder bolts and lightning, it's very very frightening!

• Biblical amounts on the approach roads

• Weather ok ish here in Yorkshire

• Interesting

• Looks like 3-4-1-2, with Breckin behind Taylor and Hanlan.

• Taff injured or on the move?