Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• That's understandable and I get your thought process. My follow up point would be that he still has a 4yr contract with City and publicly he hasn't given any indications that he's unhappy with the set up currently. Being on a long contract, they aren't against the clock to sell (like Harry Kane or Mbappe) and they can take their time with his development and maybe have a season at League 1, then another at the Championship, then he'll be ready to challenge for the 1st team while he still has 2 yrs left on his contract.

But with that being said, if he's performing at a much higher level than the squad or league, I do understand it's in his and City's best interest to push and challenge him further.

I guess only time will tell

• Do Man City have any history of recalling young loanees early where they are playing regularly?

• or they could take him back in January if he's hardly played for us.

I imagine he will get plenty of game time and be key to our new found expansive game. Even if he's playing well I can't imagine City will move him or he want to be moved.

• Can we enjoy the fact we seem to have acquired a decent young prospect before we get upset about the disappointing/acrimonious circumstances surrounding his departure?

• On a four year deal he could be sent to sister clubs like Palermo or Gerona to further his education. City have quite a set up.

• Well said, let's put all our energy in getting chips back at Adams Park!

• Has Forino really only got 1 yr?

Assuming he stays I expect him to have a great season and by Jan we'll need to offer him a much improved contract to keep him.

A young defender with his potential and only 6mths on his deal would have significant leverage over us.

I did enjoy this line in the story:

'Whilst also eligible to play for both England and Italy, in December 2022, he pledged his allegiance to the Caribbean country'

• I would suggest another season in League One would be better for him. Like all Ainsworth signings he will need to hit the ground running for QPR...especially if they've had to pay us a couple of mill for him! 😀

• i would like Forino to stay but if the money for him is big enough with sellons will won’t have a choice.

• Good points. If Forino ended up leaving on a free, after we got less than hoped for in the Mehmeti sale, it would undermine the second point of the development squad (the first being that we get some time with them actually playing for us).

• QPR monitoring Knight

• That will go down well with hoops fans, someone who could rarely get a game for a lge 1 side.

• Scenario?

Him staying with us would pan out as - he stays with us,

Going to QPR would pan out as - going to QPR.

• edited July 2023

As if it needed confirming, Gaz wants Forino. Also in talks with Wing. (Darren Witcoop - Sunday Mirror)

• edited July 2023

While I appreciate that GA would recognise the ability and potential of both Wing & Forino, it feels to me like he should be aiming for greater talent now he's at an established Championship club with Premier League aspirations.

If I were a hoops fan I'd be well and truly underwelmed by the prospect of Wing & Forino joining. Last year they were only playing for a bang average lg1 team, after all.

• Wing has played in the Champo before, and I think Forino would be a continued development project, to sell on for big money after a couple of years of starting for them. I think both make reasonable sense, especially as they have some understanding of the GA culture.

• As I have posted before I fear any signings GA make will need to make a successful impression very quickly. I thought Wing took some time to settle with us and defence in the Championship is a tricky step up for some I think.

• It could be a very tricky move for both of them if the QPR season starts badly and GA is booted out. If that bad start did happen, then they would be seen as his men and may get a rough ride.

• Unless Gaz really thinks Forino can step straight into a championship team now, then surely he's not at the type of club you can buy for the future at.

• After the start Gaz had with us, it became pretty clear he valued trust and character more than many other qualities, which is why he repeatedly re-signed players who bought into his way. Not a surprise he's carrying that on ahead of a difficult season at Rangers.

• He might want him but QPR due to FFP are offloading lots of players and selling some of the better ones to avoid points deductions.

Dickie and Dieng have been sold in the last month and they have got 31 players off the books in the last month and only signed 3.

By all accounts they need to sell another player to avoid points deductions and will not pay transfer fees.

I’m also told they will sign Begovic today which keeps Max safe.

• Fairly sure they've already paid a transfer fee this simmer - to make Taylor Richards' loan permanent - so I wouldn't rule it out by any means. We'd be talking a fairly negligible amount for Forino anyway (by Champ club standards).

• I like the suggestion at least that we are playing Hardball or holding out for a decent fee, we aren't their bloody feeder club.

• How have they managed to get 31 players off the books without us being linked to any one of them? I appreciate Gareth may not want them because they don't suit his vibe - but surely one or two might benefit from being a bigger fish in the smaller pond of League One Wycombe... after all the club does love a talented-but-discarded player with a point to prove (or at least did when Gareth was manager...)

• edited July 2023

I was about to say that QPR are shipping out players all over the place. Another London club that has more exits than arrivals is Chelsea. They have released at least 12 youth /U21 players from their ranks which might help fill out our squad a little bit and might add a bit of quality in the next few years (if they develop)

No disrespect to QPR but I think Chelsea's academy set up is slightly better than QPR's

• Dear Mr Ainsworth,

Whilst we fully appreciate the ten years you spent as manager of this club, and the success you achieved, the fact that you have now moved to a Championship club does not mean that Wycombe have become a feeder club for your squad.

We therefore respectfully suggest that you take your hippie hairstyle, double denim, snakeskin boots and orange Mustang, and butt out of our affairs, until and unless QPR are prepared to pay a realistic market price for Chris Forino, or any other Wycombe player.

Yours sincerely,

WWFC.

• That deal was done in July 2022 with a fee agreed after his loan move. A lot has changed since.