Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• We play the bottom 3 next, then 2 teams ensconced in mid table.

Let's not give up just yet.

• If we have to lose 4-0 to Ipswich I'd rather we do it today than actually do it at Wembley.

• Bloomfields squad of Col utd players are now only a point above the drop zone.

• Always an impossible task today. Need to win on Monday to start hopefully a run to keep us in the mix. We seem to have lost some of the dark arts that made us difficult to play against. Bloomfield seems to want us to play more football. Not working at the moment.

• We have zero attacking players. Our main attacking player today has 3 goals and a goal average or 1 in 10. And we are down in the mouth about losing to a multi million pound team. It might be a wake up call to some but the reality has been there for all to see since before Ainsworth and Anis left. We won’t fix it this season either. Enjoy the ride and I’m looking forward to Reading and QPR next.

• Reading or QPR is a real mouthwatering choice.

I want Gaz to do well, but for the dreaded QPR not to, so that's quite a conundrum.

Blackpool look a bit too far off to allow both to go down too.

• Sorry to say. We are deluded if we think that we have a chance of getting promoted now, never mind reaching the playoffs. The reality is that we don't have the quality or depth of a squad. Next year will be a struggle unless the owners put up some real cash or alternatively sell to someone who has deep pockets. A dissapointing end to the season.

• We’re already spending millions more than we earn.

• edited April 2023

Perhaps today might mean a few of the 'Max Stryjek is worth £1m' posters might rein it in a bit. The first goal he comes for a ball from a corner, misses it and they score. The second, the ball comes from the edge of the box inches from his feet but he doesn't move. The third, the striker coolly plays it through his wide-open legs. The penalty, he just flops down, not even bothering to dive.

He's a player that's benefited hugely from having an organised, experience defence in front of him, masking many of his weak points. But when they're not at the races, such as today, he's not capable of saving the team from a drubbing.

Is he awful? No. Is he a Championship-level keeper which other sides will be clamouring to sign this summer? You can dig out all the charts in the world that say he's better than Alisson Becker - I would suggest sometimes statistics don't tell the full story.

• Yeah I think this is the part most fans forget. Enjoy this while we can.

• Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course, but the January transfer window effectively left us with 1 centre forward and once Vokes got injured we've been woefully short of options.

It's a tough hand Bloomfield's been dealt. He's really got no other option other than to persevere with Hanlan. Add the injury to McCleary and we're suddenly lacking the focal point of our attack and our most creative outlet.

• Bizarre Outlook but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Here is what actually happened though...

The first goal was the fault of whoever decided to leave Hirst unmarked. Max barely came for it. The second he had no chance, even if its by his feet (which it wasnt). Any striker will tell you that if you hit a snap shot first time close to the goalkeeper, they have very little chance of reacting quick enough. The third he looked a little wrong footed/unorthodox but don't think he can be blamed and the fourth he had committed to diving left.

Poor shows from JJ, Scowen and Forino especially. Ipswich were very very good.

We need to pick ourselves up quickly. Win the next 5 and you never know. Sheffield Wednesday and Derby fans will tell you how quickly things can change.

Co-comms very annoying today. Made comments about not getting the ball into Ipswich's half in the whole first 180 seconds. Not exactly unheard of, and was adamant that if we scored one it meant we could take something away from the game.

We take nothing away from that game other than realising that there is a huge gap between us and the Championshi, and we massively miss McCleary and Vokes and dare i say it.....Obita. Its not over until its over.

• Hanlan as a central striker on his own just doesn’t work. The stats show that. Either play him wide in a 3 or if we persist with the lone striker put someone else in that role and have him as an impact player - Wheeler about the only option. He doesn’t have the guile to hold the ball up and he doesn’t have the speed of thought to get behind the defenders.

• It wasn’t Max’s finest hour but let’s remember the countless times he’s made point/ points saving saves.

Realistically, it’s League One again next season with a re-shaped team and a more attractive playing style.

Could also be as many as five additional short away trips.

• I am genuinely amazed you don't rate Max, @aloysius.

• Agree with all that, which just highlights Bloomfield's lack of options. Hanlan's not a centre forward, but sadly he's our only option for that position at the moment. Wheeler did play up front for a few games at the start of the season and that didn't work at all. Both good players, but neither suited to that role.

• I have tried to see what everyone else sees in him, honestly I have. And I'm fully prepared to accept I'm wrong if he gets us promoted through an inspired performance at Wembley or a big-money transfer to the Championship... but I really don't see it. As it stands, I think everyone but me has drunk the Kool Aid based on the fact that his personality reminds them of Paul Hyde. Let's see.

• I’m sorry, but this is unbelievable

Max has been a brilliant signing for us this season.

To put the blame for all four goals solely at his door. Ridiculous.

• Glad that’s over. We’ve got our work cut out for us now, but it’s not over yet.

• edited April 2023

I think it's just blind faith to believe we can still make the play-offs now. We're not consistent enough, and that's fine.

• Why is it fine? Is that what MB would say to them? Being inconsistent is not fine.

• Because we've had an incredibly turbulent season in which we've lost many of our leaders, our best player, our manager. Our other best players have been out injured for most of the new manager's start, and most of the teams around us have spent lots more money. There was never to be a new manager bounce because we were in great form when MB took over, and he's finding his feet.

It's amazing we've managed to stay in the play-off picture for so long.

• Fine within the context of the season. We’ve suffered three seismic blows that would knock the stuffing out of any club at our level. More if you count relentless injuries to key players.

Top ten in L1 is nothing to sniff at.

• First time since 2015/16 that our season looks like it'll peter out, relatively speaking. We've had a bloody good run!

• I can't imagine there's many who think we'll make the play offs, but it's still perfectly possible. Form comes and goes, we might feel very differently after Forest Green and Morecambe.

We desperately need Vokes back though! Closely followed by McCleary and Obita.

• FGR could get relegated on Monday if other results go against them.

• Thought it was quite an alarming performance today, lacked any real fight amongst other positive characteristics that you would have associated with us over the last few years.

Ipswich didn’t have to get out of second gear so praise of them today is nothing but deflection.

Felt very similar to the 4-0 at Chesterfield under Waddock where we looked totally disinterested and not up for the fight.

Tafazolli’s efforts in the build up to the third goal make me think that’ he’s already thinking about his summer journey up the M6.

• That sir is the most sensible post today

A top ten league 1 with all that we have gone through this season is quite an amazing achievement - but it is not over until it’s mathematically impossible - it wasn’t that long ago we thought we were going to be non league again - and look what happened !

• At Portman Road, a drubbing we took today

And the lads seemed to have lost their way

But the hope remains the same

As it's a funny old game

So to Matt and the boys, hip hip hooray!