Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• Season very much over chaps. Peterborough aren't letting up, and we have won 1 in 6 now. Time to start looking to next season.

• If we're looking to scrape positives, Gape and Ward on the pitch is one.

• A little surprised we did not give Ward a runout sooner, given the game being gone.

• Do you create a batch of login's at the same time, congrats btw, to be the one of the most disappointing things about today is impressive.

• What do you mean by this?

Give some development players a game? Give a few gasroomers a run out?

We put our max in until it's 100% gone.

• Christie Ward alert! @perfidious_albion

• Just not at the races today, from front to back the team have been poor & certainly after the third looked like they would rather be anywhere but Portman Road.

Of course some of the blame must sit with the management team for the way they set up today, but the players are equally culpable whether its for individual mistakes, lack of team cohesion, poor decision making. As others have said we have had a disasterous time with injuries, that has left us bereft of forward options & a lack of experienced cover in midfield; none of which is the management team's fault.

We cannot compete financially with the likes of Ipswich who spunked millions on recruits in January & will in all honesty never have the budget to compete with them or Plymouth or Wednesday or Derby or Bolton or Pompey (or whoever comes down from the Championship), therefore we will always be looking to punch above our weight to get into the playoffs, we really are a mid-table L1 club & there is nothing wrong with that.

• This might just be me being salty after a 4-0 defeat but the co-comm today has been a little irritating at times. Putting Phil under the spot a little on some questions that Phil probably couldn’t truly answer as an employee of the club.

• A bit flippant perhaps. As a fan, I'm now not looking at the table in the hope that we have a chance of getting into the play offs. Just going to enjoy the last few games, and see how we start to shape up for next season.

• Somebody asked for AI to compose a derivative Gasroom post? That's all the greatest hits in 7 lines.

• Just be glad he's moved from his 2 words & number naming format. Although he can't seem to stop using a number on the end.

Although maybe he'd be more subtle if not every single post was pure negativity!

• Prior to the first goal we’d started very well for an away game against such an in form side. The defending at that set piece was abhorrent and the game following the first goal followed suit.

• Today was always a huge ask.

If we don't play well and put Forest Green away it'll start getting more nervy.

• Funny you should say that, but I've found him a bit irritating as well. But thought I'd better keep quiet, but seeing as you've mentioned it 😁

• It's not just today @Malone. MK hadn't got a point against any top half team till we played them, at Charlton we got away with a set piece goal, at Burton we couldn't hit a barn door and so on. I commend your confidence, but can't see us getting more than 7-9 points maximum between now and the end of the season, which won't be nearly enough.

• Oh I'm doing my best to not word my "we're gonna finish lower middle table next season" fears,....

for at least a couple more games!

• We got done by a really good side without a lot of our best players...Still in it though. Just.

• What's Bloomfield's record since taking over

• Ipswich were really impressive but find myself feeling very dejected after that.

Where’s @glasshalffull to cheer me up with some wise words and perspective?

• P9 W2 D3 L4 for anyone wondering. Certainly not play off form sadly.

• I’ve been harsh today but you can’t possibly judge Bloomfield on his record. He’s had naff all of a football team to manage. The majority of our best players are out injured.

• The slight fear is that we're overegging what Vokes and McCleary will do in this current style of play.

Fingers crossed they come in and we're brilliant again, but it might take a summer rethink.

• Tough result against a good side, not entirely unsurprising that we were outclassed but disappointing nonetheless. Can't help but feel that with Vokes available that would have been a different game.

Ward looks good, doesn't he? Impressed by his willingness and ability to get stuck in off the ball. Hope to see more of him this season.

We could still challenge for the play-offs but really Monday is our last chance to start putting a run of results together.

• Yes it was something of a free hit today and with our injuries coupled with Ipswich's form, I don't think anyone expected much. Still, it was a poor performance and defensively (the one area we should be strong in at present) we were all over the place.

Whilst I don't think we will make the play offs, saying it's all over is ridiculous! If we can get players back, squeeze a win on Monday, things will look different and perhaps we can still put a run together.

• It's hanging by a fine thread at the moment, but on paper we couldn't ask much better than the next 5.

• edited April 2023

To be brutally honest anywhere 10th or above is a superb season for us & we should be incredibly proud of how well we are doing; just look at who is above us & their spending power/average home crowds. It is clear from recent interviews & our published accounts that we are not awash with money so do not expect a bumper summer transfer window either, though I do expect a few free transfer surprises from MB & his team.

Of course I am disappointed at the lack of fight today, but Blooms is working with a threadbare squad & essentially no forward options, or at least none who look like they will score. I suspect we are now into the realms of needing/hoping results start to go our way in order to have any hope of the playoffs, but as I said above I for one will not be distraught if we miss out...

• edited April 2023

Was expecting the result but disappointed with the performance. Erm...everything over or everything to play for? I know which one keeps me going to Wycombe Wanderers matches.

• edited April 2023

When you look at the 7 teams above us and realise that one of them won't make the play-offs and 4 will miss out on promotion our current position doesn't really look so bad. We'll also (hopefully) finish above Portsmouth and Charlton, so it's not been and all together bad season.

I'll certainly be leaving any judgement on Bloomfield until he's had a chance to manage with a fully fit squad, not to mention the opportunity to fashion the squad to his liking.