Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• Which makes criticism of Bloomfield quite frankly ridiculous. We don’t have any cards to play. Nick freeman or Tjay is the only selection choice that can be realistically discussed.

Which takes us back to the exodus in the January window. A sensible financial decision but one that sealed our fate

• Have to say , I totally agree. We may not have the best players but with a Wycombe team , you have fight, determination and a never say die will to compete to the bitter end. All sadly lacking today. I wonder is it because Bloomfield wants to play more football. There is still some hope with the remaining games but we do need to go back to horrible Wycombe.

• There was plenty of fight today, we just came up against a very good side.

• The postmatch vid of GA is quite shocking. He's close to calling out the players which he never does, and is shell-shocked at what he's signed up for. I wonder if he'd do it again

• Yep, Max has benefitted from half a season of having full backs playing in front of him 😀

He was bizarrely flat footed for that 2nd goal though. I dare say a view from behind the goal would not have done him any credit, as it looked about half a metre from him.

• I'm glad I don't know enough about football to predict no playoffs after ten games or decide we've had it before the season ends...or there would be little point me turning up. It is also irritating that if you do not share the damning verdict of someone else on a player you're considered an idiot who has 'drunk the Kool Aid'. It's football and we should all know by now that we may be broke on paper and the owner's checkbook unopened. There are always twists and turns. I'm waiting for the bariatric person to sing before I tear up my online customer subscription.

• I’ll do my best but it’s difficult to find positives from today. Arguably our worst performance of the season against arguably the best side we have played. However, there are still 18 points to play for and I’ve seen so many unlikely twists in the final weeks of a season that I would never write us off until it’s mathematically impossible to make the top six. Sorry, can’t manage anything more positive than that after such a bad day at the office.

• Chances are Max's true level is somewhere in between the "brilliant" that some reckon, and "worst in the league" that Allez Allez Ooo reckons?

• What has Curtis Thompson got to do to get fit. Feel so sorry for the guy and was really buoyed by his return this season. We really have had some awful luck this season with injuries and departures.

• No GK for 4 or 5 games
    • Mawson injury
    • Taff missing most the season
    • Mehmeti departure
    • Vokes missing and not finding form in a disruptive season for him
    • Forino injuries
    • Thompson
    • Gape
    • Hanlan
    • Lack of backup striker options (to be fair we let 2 backups go)
    • McCleary
    • Obita

Have we actually fielded our strongest team this season AT ALL? I'm not talking just names on paper, I mean, all 100% fit and firing? I'd say ZERO times. With that in mind, what we have done so far is incredible.

I'd like to see Willis get a go - looks a very good footballer. FGR lineup assuming Vokes and GM still out....

Max

Willis Taff Forino

Grimmer Scowen Gape JJ

Wing

Wheeler Hanlan

• Not to mention that losing in the playoff final puts you a month behind with your pre-season planning.

• In terms of selection for Monday, I don't think we have any options to change things, unless Vokes, or McCleary are back. Freeman/De Barr is the only realistic discussion at present.

Come up short on Monday, then perhaps we can look at introducing Ward and Pattenden and perhaps seeing if Willis is worth a contract. For now though, we need to do all we can to beat Forest Green, hope we'll have more players coming back to fitness soon and see if we can get a run going. Some fans may be giving up, but I certainly expect Bloomfield and the team to keep giving their all.

• I agree @Wycombe85

I thought we looked utterly toothless in attack today. Hanlan's touch means he cannot be a lone striker. He is much better playing off someone or running at someone one v one. It's not working. I wonder if Wheeler is an option?

Never thought I'd think that we miss Al Hamadi but this could have been his chance with us. Hindsight and all that.

• Maybe Vokes, but McCleary has/had a broken tibia. I'll eat my hat if we see him play again this season.

Sadly I think our chances of making the play-offs has gone, but a 9th place finish is still something to be proud of in a hugely disrupted season given the departures/injuries.

In some ways I wouldn't be disappointed to see Ward, Willis or Pattenden given a run out on Monday. A real chance to see if they have what it takes to play league 1 football - bottom of the table or not FGR won't be a push over.

• Reading, Milton Keynes, Oxford and ColU could all still get relegated. In some ways this could be a dream season!

• I hate all this talk of "it's done". Do you think the players and staff have that mentality? As long as they believe, so do I.

• Yeah, I can't understand people who say the seasons done. It's almost as if they've never watched football before! Things could look very different in 2 games time, let alone 6!

Just to clarify, at the moment I'd be very surprised if we made the top 6, but I've watched enough football to know that form and results can turn very quickly.

• Hanlan is pretty much impotent in his current role. He needs coaching, he needs to learn from other strikers with his qualities, he needs to at least make himself an annoyance if he can’t make himself a threat. At the moment he’s just … anonymous

• Is that McCleary injury for certain?

A broken leg seems ever so slightly at odds with the "very close" rating bandied around for him and Vokes!

• Hanlan works his socks off to be fair, but as a centre forward, I agree he doesn't offer enough. As a wide attacker, running at defenders, he's absolutely a threat. I really feel for Bloomfield, as at the moment I don't think he has any choice, but to persist with him. Hindsight of course, but it's a shame we offloaded Al Hamidi, as I think he'd probably now be getting a good run in the team and perhaps with the game time, he'd be showing some of the form his produced for Wimbledon.

• Sat next to him at the player sponsors dinner, so ...

• Losing Vokes, Mehmeti AND GMac and not trusting Al Hamadi AND D’Mani Mellor as being ready for a first team is a little bit of bad planning and a little bit of bad luck. Campbell is no replacement for Anis or GMac and has a lot to learn, I suspect he will get a decent Championship career. But we are where we are as we can only afford what we can afford. IF we were to get promoted this year (like a lot of teams) we would needed much better luck on the injury front.

• Did Hanlan play as a CF for Bristol Rovers?

• On Monday we go again. Wycombe Till I Die.

• I'm not going to try and talk you round, as it takes all kind of opinions to make a world. It's part of the reason these discussion forums are so interesting!

• I think on Monday we'll find out whether that was as poor as it looked or whether we just hit against a team on fire that belongs a division above.

• All is not lost. On paper the next five games are definitely winnable with Portsmouth, the last game of the season being the hardest in our run end. 15 points could still give us a change of sneaking into the playoffs. Need a big result on Monday against Forest Green to get the optimism back.

• What thec critics of Matt Bloomfield conveniently forget is that the decisions to off load/loan out certain players in January were obviously done when he wasn’t manager.

on top of that, he inherited the injury situation from hell

• Re: Max and the 2nd goal, it looked to me as though the player was shaping to shoot into the opposite corner, slipped and it ended up in the other corner.

But I've only seen it once, and I don't intend to watch the highlights!

• That Ipswich team/squad is by far and away the best we’ve ever played at this level. Their bench was incredible.

All week I was thinking we’d get tonked and then Friday morning my optimism returned.

Injuries, sales, retirements and loans have decimated our attacking options.

We are historically a lower mid League 1/Higher League 2 team. Our current squad is exactly that as it stands.

If the injured players return we maintain mid league 1 standard. Without them we’re lower League 1 at best.

Blooms has been dealt a cruel hand since taking over. He needs to be given time and a couple of transfer windows.

Personally, I think the money is not there to maintain the levels of the last four seasons and in all likelihood next year we will be in the bottom 10. I say this more to prepare myself for the reality of what cutting our cloth will actually mean for us.

We will forever have a what if moment with GA deciding to leave. Who knows what might have happened. I suspect though he wouldn’t have faired whole lots better at Ipswich today with the resources he had available.

With Willis fit and no center forward options, I’m surprised we haven’t tried Forino up top for some parts of games to try something different.

In my mind, the three teams you want to avoid playing at this stage of the season are the bottom three who can all still stay up.

Fingers crossed Vokes is back Monday, he said he was targeting that game for a return at the sponsors dinner.