Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• Exactly @Commoner we just don’t have the players available at the moment to pose any problems to a side like Ipswich. The lack of any meaningful attacking threat leaves us totally unbalanced and I fear had quite a deflating impact on the defensive players too as they knew that the ball was coming straight back even we could clear it.

The 11 we had out yesterday is one that would struggle in the division over a season, regardless of the manager.

• Not surprised by the result. I think the effort and work rate was there until Ipswich scored. Most of the team looked deflated after that probably, in the semi conscious, realising that we were never going to score - Hanlan is simply not up to the 9 role

As regards Max. There is no doubt he has been a great signing but yesterday was the 1st time he has disappointed me, I’m sure he will be too. He wasn’t the only one to disappoint.

Still looking upwards COYB

• Does the B team not have any strikers ? I'm not suggesting we throw one of them straight in, but do we really not have another one at the club other than Hanlan and TJ ? If we have, get one on the bench you just never know. For the record if Vokes isn't back Monday I'd rather see TJ given a go up there, sorry but Hanlan is just so ineffective up there on his own down the middle.

• A painful afternoon. I just don’t get Hanlan. As a 9 we can all see he’s in the wrong position against opponents of that quality or anyone with decent defenders. If ever we needed Vokes at his best it was then. I also don’t really get Hanlan in other positions. He has flashes of brilliance but I’d like to see more consistency. That said maybe I’m missing something.

As for our remaining fixtures if we don’t get Vokes and GMac back then I’m in the try something different camp. Wheeler central up front for me, Hanlan somewhere we gets ball at his feet when he’s facing goal.

As for the sliding doors Gaz stays counterfactual, I’m not sure what difference it would have made. Certainly not to yesterday, they looked like a team ready for the Championship and likely to finish top half.

And yet we are still in this. Our next three opponents are bottom three for a reason. Nine points on offer. Collect those and then we’ll see.

• Blooms has had an incredibly tough start as Wycombe manager and I'm really not sure we'd be fairing any better under Ainsworth. To be in the run in without a single fit centre forward really isn't ideal. Letting the players go that we did in January seemed sensible and financially prudent at the time, but as soon as the injuries hit, it was clear we're incredibly short.

None of this is Bloomfield's fault and the Facebook crowd suggesting he's out of his depth are completely ignoring the fact that we were near the bottom earlier in the season when we had similar injury problems.

• I haven't got caught up in the De Barr hype that flooded the forum recently.

But it does seem odd we've started him, but not as the central striker.

Hanlan isn't an aerial threat, so we wouldn't lose that with De Barr.

So play DB central, Hanlan left and surely has two players in their most effective positions?

• Keep your chins up lads you won’t play an Ipswich every week and there will be lots of ups and downs over the remaining games. On paper all of the top 8 look like winning on nMonday but you just never know, teams at the bottom are now fighting for survival and can spring surprises. Your problem seems to be up top but ours is the reverse. After losing our centre half Toal for the season after that Plymouth thug Cosgrove cropped him at Wembley on Sunday, we’ve now lost Santos as well for a month so we’re down to the bare bones at the back now. To make matters worse we’ve got Cambridge coming to the UniBol on Monday and we know they’re entirely route one so that won’t be easy. Get nine points from your next 3, certainly achievable and you’re right back in it so it could still be a double Wanderers into the play offs and maybe a meet at Wembley? Then again neither of us might make it? Isn’t football wonderful? 😉

• edited April 2023

Ainsworth left us with a 6 game in 7 winning run, including beating top teams.

The players we have out haven't been out for the whole Bloomy 9 game spell in charge either.

Chances are we'd have more points and either be in the playoffs or closer.

The managerial change has been bad for all 3 teams so far. However, it's early days for Bloomy as a whole. And unlike QPR at least we'll give him a fair crack.

• How on earth are they trying to suggest he's very close then?

• I read a lot of footy forums and there seems a strong tendency to try and declare things as the best or the worst ever. When truly it's never either.

Max is a good keeper. That's strong enough for me. People comparing to Stockdale always seemed a bit too much.

• edited April 2023

Sorry @Shev but we are going to have to put the ‘mustard’ nickname on ice. It’s more like ‘custard’ at the moment.

Hanlan has been a pro player for long enough to have added variety to his game. But, he has one move: back to goal receive the ball tight to the defender, spin to loose his man and run at goal with pace. Very effective in isolation but not enough to play at our level week in week out, especially when opponents have done their homework and know this is his signature (only) move. I like the lad but his press from the front is patchy, he doesn’t really lead the line in the traditional sense and, frustratingly, I can possibly head a ball better than him!

Its a shame that he doesn’t appear to have the capacity to learn, with experienced intelligent players like Vokes, GMac and Wheeler in and around him on the training pitch day in day out you would have hoped to see some improvement. I’m sure that was what Dobo was hoping when we brought him in.

Unfortunately I fear he has reached his personal level. Which isn’t quite ours.

• That bizarre Max rhetoric is the biggest load of shit I have ever read on the Gasroom - and it's a crowded field.

• Let's be honest about where we are, even if we go up this year by some miracle we won't be getting 25,000 crowds or buying £1m fullbacks. We needed everyone to be on absolute fire yesterday to stand a chance, we held them off for 40 mins and then minor errors were punished and eventually we got steamrolled by a very good team.

Blooms can only play who he has available and while we were doing well under Ainsworth just before he was appointed that wasn't always the case throughout his reign and that has passed. Reserve players who may have seized their chance with injuries were let go, not by Blooms. He also needs to set his stall out and get his plans across can't just be a poor copy of Ainsworths phrases and style. This takes time.

As for Max - We were in the brown stuff when he turned up and has been excellent almost every week making lots of saves he had no right to, yesterday wasn't great, but again Stocko, Allsop and Brown all had their bad moments.

Need a win on Monday to regroup and stop the rot a bit and we don't stop paying wages so they don't stop trying to get as many points as possible.

• I felt utterly dejected when the second goal went in yesterday, but I'm feeling a bit better this morning. Agree with all the other comments about what a crap hand Bloomfield has been dealt. The only way we can compete at this level is by having a very strong group of about 14 players and we all understand what the budget constraints are there. We rely on those players being incerdibly consistent both in performance and availability. A couple get injured, one moves to a higher level, and another retires and we look very light. Get all of them on the pitch and I think we can take anyone on, inculding having a couple of subs to impact a game. That's just how it is in this division - it's incredible to be competing with some of the teams who are near us, not just the teams but the squads that those clubs can call upon, and there's no shame in taking a hiding when we run into a team in form just as we're down to the bare bones. It happened under Ainsworth and it will happen again. The flip side is that if we do have a bit of fortune with form and injuries, we can beat Ipswich, Derby, Peterborough, and Barnsley just as we've done this season.

And I do think there are some more reasons to feel positive. Firstly, we're almost certainly going to have one of our highest ever finishes in our history, even if this season fizzles out a bit. Secondly, Bloomfield has got a good little period of time here to find out what sort of characters he has. I'm not giving up on the season yet, but he's got another six games plus a whole pre-season to figure out what he needs for next year, who is going to make it from the development squad, etc. That might prove invaluable for a manager still at a very early stage in his career - and next season might not be quite the doom-fest some are predicting. Thirdly, and I realise this is not the thing most people are dwelling on at the moment, I think we've become quite dangerous from set-pieces again. When you look at the goals we've scored recently, against Fleetwood, Burton, Charlton, and two against Franchise came from corners or free-kicks. Get Vokes back, put Hanlan and Campbell wide, Wheeler back in midfield with Scowen and Wing and I think we could be a nightmare to play against. Fourth, it's not over yet, and it's a funny old game...

• If anyone needs cheering up just listened to some great Lionel Ritchie banter on the Frank Skinner show. Check out the podcast on Absolute Radio. Wet my pants laughing @ReturnToSenda

• We are not a Championship team and even if we do get up we may struggle and we may never get there again. But the ride is the point for me. We are STILL pushing for playoffs with a side of oaps and youngsters who had a terrible start and are now injury stricken. We are not battling relegation and we will still be in League One next year and not playing on the Rye. I think anyone whose expectations for Wycombe include regular Championship football (whatever the over enthusiastic owner has promised you) is going to be sorely disappointed for season after season.

• edited April 2023

Who would be a goalkeeper? After a tremendous season. Poor Max gets slated by the Facebook brigade and others over a bad day at the office. Conveniently forgetting some of the breathtaking saves he has made this season, and for installing a great sense of confidence at the back.4 Although he caused the problem in the first place that double save he made at Oxford was sheer brilliance.

Poor Stocko he had a great season for us last year, including picking up the Golden glove award, and yet, whenever I talk to people all they go on about, was his mistake for the first goal at Wembley.

• Hardest job in the world. I can only go by what I've seen of Max. Confident. Great shot stopper . I don't feel terror every time there is a backpass. He's taken on a couple of players and come out on top. Terrible kicking (but hasn't he had a couple of assists or punts that led to goals?) Perhaps not a Stocko but not a Rocky either.

• You proved my other post about something having to be the worst or best ever 😀

Aly's Max comments aren't even his own biggest load of tripe, let alone getting to the top of the gasroom all timer list.

• It's incredible that we still may make the playoffs. A testament to everyone involved

• Might they make the playoffs with the right support though?

• I think Stockdale's distribution was better but Max's general goal keeping is on a different level

• edited April 2023

Stockdale kept 20 clean sheets in the process of Brighton getting promoted to the Premier League gaining a place in the team of the year on the process. Was also picked in England squads

I love Max, I think he's been an excellent signing but there are levels. People are losing the run of themselves. The same people who think Forino is ready for the championship I guess

Ps before everyone gets their pitchforks out, I honestly think he has a great chance of being one one day

• But people aren't comparing Max with peak Stockdale. Is he better than the Stocko of last season? Arguably.

• Max is easily a top half Championship goalkeeper. I’d be gobsmacked if he isn’t signed by a bigger club in the summer.

• edited April 2023

I think the majority of Gasroomers probably think he has the potential to be one !

• Yes, so do I

• We'll soon find out. But i'd be astounded if we don't announce him as staying soon. (Assuming he wasn't already on a 2 year option, but not communicated).

• edited April 2023

Contract negotiations with Thompson and Gape will be quite a challenge. With the anticipated constraints on numbers and wages of players next season, fitness records of existing players and potential new signings will be paramount.

ironically, one of the oldest and longest serving players, the redoubtable JJ, has (if memory serves) one of the best fitness records. He still forages forwards to good effect occasionally, has skill on the ball and takes a mean corner but I think his best position now is at left centre back in a three.