Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• edited February 2023

Their favourite term for us is 'ambulance chasers'. It's a lot worse of a dig when you realize how much their club hates ambulance services.

• From a club who left St John’s Ambulance thousands of pounds out of pocket.

Parasites!

• https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/highwycombe/23315565.wycombes-tjay-de-barr-feature-regularly-says-ainsworth/

Sounds like Tjay is gonna feature a bit more in the run-in. Suppose with Kaikai, AAH, Horgan, Mehmeti and Mellor all out of the picture now, this is the period where it really matters for him to make his mark before the summer market opens.

• That was the best performance at home this season. An absolute team masterclass.

So hard to choose a MoM as it was a classic Gareth, ‘backs to the wall’ team performance against a league favourite.

On a personal level, the Derby fans demonstrated such scummy behavior. One of my worst experiences is going to Pride Park with one of my sons to watch Forest…genuine hatred from the Rams fans.

I’ve never had bad feelings towards Derby, Mr Clough led them to the League title, how could I?

But today after the game again, Derby fans swearing and insulting my mate on the way out for no reason other than we came to watch Wycombe.

Grow up.

• It’s also all a load of hyperbole given that the amount they paid us off with was considerably less than the salary of any one of their first team squad (even with their clearly oh-so-restrictive-for-League-One wage cap.)

• Have read their forum tonight. So entitled. Cheating cnuts. Owe the tax payer millions (money for schools, NHS etc) and spend their time whinging about how the EFL have somehow victimised them. Absolute jokers. Hope they stay down in league 1 for years

• The last paragraph is one of the reasons I don’t go and watch football anymore. There had been a few games last season where some supporters had clearly gone with the intention of causing trouble.

• The walk down Hillbottom Rd has indeed become increasingly uncomfortable in recent history. Head down, no eye contact and hope for the best.

• Spent an hour with a beer last night reading their forum. Highly entertaining. I know we have one or two interesting posters but the absolute drivel from the the majority was unbelievable. No mention how they caused their own problems but blamed everybody and his dog, including us for their issues.

Had a lot of respect for Paul Warne and the job he did with Rotherham but he seems to caught the Derby disease. In his post match interview on Derby TV no praise for Wycombe but complained about not having a fit and competent referee, the ball was in the air a lot, as well as off the pitch and it wasn’t a tactical battle because you know how they play . Not quite as blatant a criticism of us as Barton but Warne show some respect. A quality, fortunately our manager poses.

• If opposition managers really believe it when they say things like that it’s no wonder we beat them. Listening to Danny Senda talk about the intricacies of the tactics involved is fascinating.

• The camera focused on the lad a few times in the first half. Taking an age to get the ball to the player. Just a comment on what I saw. Some of you seem to have missed the bit where I said "no complaints".

• That helped you, no doubt. As soon as the 1st one went in, throws were taking a minute which the ref should have clamped down on. At times, and both sides helped in this, I felt sorry for the ball. More like a game of heading tennis rather than football. Unfortunately, we got sucked into it and, whatever name you give the way you play, and do it well, played into your hands. Hence my comment of "no complaints".

• I always find the best way to make people realise you aren’t complaining is to not complain about things.

• Andy, pre game I said it would be tight. How that is what you and others seem to think it is, somehow "entitled", is a mystery. Post match I wrote "no complaints" about the result. I did criticise the ref. I did not, however, blame him for the loss, I pointed out how poor he was. I feel "entitled" to comment on his performance as I am a ref myself here in the Netherlands. It seems some of you agree with me.

• I thought it was for a "foul", a very minor one. I wouldn't have booked him.

• @Raminpeace the entitled comment was not aimed at you but a couple of moments on your fan forum will find what I mean. There’s a blame culture for every element of anything negative that happens to your club. Start at the pitch end at the EFL. Football fans across the country see a fan group with a history of cheating and zero contrition. Your fans singing sweary songs about our chairman and Middlesbrough is a point in question. We are the cause? Really? You have a great team, a really decent manager, an amazing setup and sometimes it would help to add humility (not you!) to a culture and this will help your club.

• Yep, basically Hanlan out-muscled your player, I have no idea why that was a yellow card as the ref had been letting plenty of physical play (not just for Hanlan) go up until that point.

• Ta Shev. As a ref myself, I don't think the ref affected the result. He was simply poor. When he made a mistake, and he made many, it's what happens after that that matters. The decision has been made. It's how you deal with it afterwards that counts. Agree with you on the Collins incident early doors, he got away with that.

On a lighter note, nobody has mentioned the EFL's part in this defeat. I mean, how obvious do you have to be? Giving Warne the January Manager of the Month award and the accompanying jinx/curse. Very clever on their part ;)

Before anybody reads that and decides "told you so" - there is a wink emoji in there so that last paragraph is meant to amuse. (this rider added as, in earlier posts, things like "no complaints about the result" came across as the exact opposite to some. Read an entire post and look at whether there's balance in it. Nowhere did I write or mean "we wuz robbed". Surprised some took it that way.

• Hanlan was blatantly pulling the Derby player's shirt. Fair booking

• The thing that really struck me yesterday was how really valuable to the balance of the team David Wheeler is. He links all areas of the pitch and his ability in the air is second only to Sam Vokes.

He runs his heart out for the team but is such a clever footballer and he can score goals as well as close down and tackle well. Wheels is the new Bloomers and he deserves his place in the starting line up.

• As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve worked in Derby for 22 years and even otherwise sound people demonstrate extraordinary puffed up arrogance when it comes to DCFC.

I will enjoy walking round the office tomorrow, swigging coffee from my WWFC mug. It’ll probably be a record breaking ‘working from home’ day though.

That said, the Derby fans I know have no complaints and thought it was a cracking game apart from the result. One things for sure, club message boards tend to attract the biggest set of myopic loons. People are rarely as awful in real life 😉

• Have to say, I thought we mixed up our game superbly yesterday, saying the ball was in the air most of the time is to completely ignore some of the lovely football we played on the ground. All 3 goals were well made. The 1st goal, yes we had a stroke of luck with the deflection, but it was a great breakaway from a Derby corner and a classy finish from Vokes.

Something I've felt for a while and also Ainsworth has alluded to several times is that opposition tend to focus on our supposed airial threat and not focus enough on that fact we we have several very decent footballers who on their day, are a match for any in the division.

Don't get me wrong, Derby played dome great stuff themselves, but at times yesterday, especially 2nd half, they were hanging on and we were outplaying them. This wasn't a back to the walls, hanging onto a 1-0 as we've seen in the past. We were always on the front foot and looking to score. It made for a wonderful game of football.

• Wheels was so up for it yesterday. All the usual Swiss Army knife functions but with added aggression- he was really up for the fight

• Not sure I've seen too many other clubs fans start on eachother at the railway station, sing songs about our chairman dying and hassle fans on the way out after a defeat but probably worse online.

• Peaceful Chairboy was certainly wasting their time on that forum.

• Keep on building up the myth that Wycombe only play in the stratosphere and that the ball is never in play. Clearly teams who buy into the mentality that they are morally superior to us by virtue of tapping the ball sideways a few times are the ones that generally get done by moments of genuine class from our players who can play.

• The Wycombe spirit is back to it’s best. The post playoff self doubt has gone, exemplified by staying calm and organised after their equaliser. My neutral friend with me commented on how organised we were, how the players were in constant communication when we didn’t have the ball and how we’d clearly prepared for Derby and stuck to the plan.

Vokes has found his mojo again at just the right time.

MOTM very hard to give this week. So many outstanding performances.

• We now need to underpin that result with a good result at Accrington. With a smallish squad and the injuries we have little room for rotation. Let’s go with the same starting 11 and hopefully have some of the injured lads re-appear on the bench. Although I feel GA may well mix it up a bit but the Accrington game is as important as the Bolton fixture (both 3 points), so I hope we don’t do a ‘Plymouth away’ and put out a weakened team.

Definitely the biggest bunch of meatheads to have dragged their knuckles on Hillbottom Road for a good long while. For that alone they deserve to stick around for a good long while in this division they believe they have an automatic right to be promoted from.