Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• Quite simply the best result of the season.

• At half-time I was pleased with the score and how well we had played but thought that Derby looked very good going forwards.

Second half I thought we were far and away the better footballing side and their equaliser came completely against the run of play.

There was a short spell after that when they were in the ascendancy but we settled again and deserved to take the lead. After the third goal we sat back and it was an excellently taken second goal for them but hard to see it other than the better side on the day won.

Genuinely in my opinion our best performance and result of the season.

(Also puts into context how good Sheff Wed were the other week)

• But, at least he can tell his Louisiana pals that the mighty Derby County fans have penned a ditty about him.

• Their forum just hit the "wouldn't want to watch that every week" bingo. I can die in peace now

• I just don’t know how Derby fans can complain about other teams bending the rules or getting the benefit of soft officiating.

• Can’t sleep it’s 1.30am here.

Decided to go to the 7-11 and buy some popcorn, now sat on the beach reading the Derby forum.

An absolute masterclass in how to win a game with no recognised Centre Backs and a wage budget not even half of Derby’s.

Brilliant from Ainsworth and the team. That boy Scowen is some player.

• Good to see Disco Danny well prepared with his portable heater!

• Imagine having been proven to be financial cheats yet thinking our chairman is the out of order character.

On a lesser note one of their forum posts said about 2 of the goals being deflected. Did the Wing 1st one actually take a deflection? Presumed so but on a tiny screen at the game wasn't so sure.

Assume they also mean the deflection before the 1st goal, as Vokes' hit was swish.

• Name a better league performance from Wycombe you've seen in person - I'll wait.

What a brilliant match

McCleary 10

Vokes 10

Scowen 10

Wing 10

Screw it, everyone 10/10.

• Yeah I've got to say. That is right up there with one of the best team performances I've seen.

• I thought Hanlan was booked for kicking the ball away

• Thought it was the incident where he'd made up ground on their light weight left back, caught him up through a mix of strength pace and tug back, and the ref deemed the tug back was yellow card worthy?

But if he kicked it away after that I missed it?

• Possibly, I did think the same, but even that would have been harsh as my recollection was a side footed pass towards the touch line which was 10-12 yards away - certainly not launching the ball into the stands.

• I don't think there was any lack of effort on the Derby players' part, although Collins did resort to underhand tactics.

• Only my fourth game of the season so delighted to have been able to see that game in the flesh, will live long in the memory!

Don’t think you could get a much better team performance, and so much on show demonstrating exactly why I love supporting Wycombe!

• Quite simply the best performance I have ever seen in every aspect. We beat Derby whom I consider to be in the hunt for the autos. As @Raminpeace mentioned, the referee was consistent in his inconsistency & it wasn't difficult to see why the best he has managed is L2. TBH, I wouldn't let him near any pro match. I think he was lucky as a referee that it didn't degrade into player retribution/retaliation as he didn't take proper control. As a referee, he made some very peculiar decisions. I was giving him the benefit of doubt early doors, but by the end of the match I was spitting feathers!

I thought it was the right result in the end. We certainly had the majority of the 2nd half and about 50:50 of the 1st.

DCFC fans were apoplectic after the game and a few were desperate to start fights down Hillbottom Road. Some chose the wrong opponents, namely the Police and quickly found out how outnumbered the idiots were. It was amusing to see one of them after being pushed back by a Police officer then falling over Lindy Lous burger van!

All in all, a great day out, fantastic result and I would mark the entire squad & management 10 out of 10. 👍️

• Although they'd have to be careful not to miss the deadline

• I inadvertently put a thumbs down against you ( my first on here) but it was a tipsy slip. Thumbs up from me!

• I hear that Derby are delaying submitting todays result, and instead will take the 0 points next season instead.

• Wondered who could possibly have done that to his post!

• Saw a group of younguns having an animated chat with the police.

While one equally young bloke in front of us was screaming "Pigs" at them and furious about some £300 fine. Not sure what happened there, but made sure to leave him to it!

• edited February 2023

Another self-proclaimed big club swans into town with the usual airs and graces thinking they'll easily make "a club like Wycombe" roll over and let them tickle our belly, another sent packing sour-faced down Hillbottom Road with the square root of sweet FA. Judging by how sizeable mob of Derby fans without a brain cell to rub together were muttering to themselves on the way out how much they wanted to smash some Wycombe fans, they were seriously rattled by events on the pitch.

Brilliant display 1-11 playing an excellent blend of using Vokes's aerial prowess and some of the intricate stuff to make the "I couldn't watch that every week" brigade weep in their padded cells. Derby played their part in a great advert for League 1 football, just not the one they assumed they would.

• edited February 2023

Vokes was superb today. Arguably his best display of the season?

Plus arguably his best finish for us? Lovely volley.

• I always take it back to Notts County, only in L2 rather than the Prem due to everyone else's issues apparently and historically huge by our standards, once you've seen them off in games, and in seasons, rising to the Championship while they head for the conference and whilst giving us Curtis because he wasn't good enough for them, ex-Prem players as managers despite being clueless gobshites (sorry Micra), once you've seen all that then who gives a toss about attendance figures, previous titles etc etc.

• A group their brightest and best were haranguing an old boy who dared mention Mel Morris when they were chanting "Your chairman's a c**t", some bravely threatening to stab him until they realised their were a couple of coppers nearby. I pity the poor Derby fans who have to tolerate these utter melts week in week out.