Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• The false sense of security and bravery some get from being in a group never ceases to amaze does it.

Probably go back to their week day lives and are totally reasonable, normal members of society.

• I thought Warne had a bit more class than that. I guess going to Derby sucked it out of him.

• edited February 2023

Yep, "Ainsworthball" as if he has some never seen before horribly cynical style of football that's a disgrace to such footballing aristocrats of...Derby County!

It must tear opposition fans up that he's without doubt the most charming, dignified manager ever in interviews etc. Always talking up how great a club we're playing, how good a job their manager is doing etc.

• I'm not surprised, he looked like he was eating a lemon when he was a pundit summing up our play off semi vs Fleetwood in 2020. Maybe not as sour as Jamie Mackie but not far behind.

• Ah, I do vaguely remember that now. Don't get me started on Mackie...

• @Raminpeace its been lovely having you visit the Gasroom. Not unlike Rams visit to AP today. A very promising start with an impressive contribution but tailing off to a bewildered end, out thought, out gunned and sent home to rethink what League One footie is all about. See ya.

• Christ their forum is a cesspit of entitlement and feeling hard-done-by. Always blaming someone, whether it’s the EFL or Couhig or the referee or the pitch.

• What a result! What a performance! What a remarkable job Gareth Ainsworth is doing. It is just fabulous. You really have to pinch yourself.

• edited February 2023

An excellent win. We were the better side. Scowen marked McGoldrick out of the game. Vokes immense, best performance of the season. Special mention to JJ and Grim as non centre halfs, superb. Wing two great finishes. I could go on, every player performed Fantastic stuff. Derby fans an entitled wunch of bankers

• You always remember your first game. Glad he's had an absolute belter for his.

Although it could be hard to better it very often!

• I can’t remember a better league performance than that against such quality opposition. Every single player was IMMENSE!! Whilst the players take the credit, Ainsworth should take the lions share, an absolute master class from our great manager. We are so so lucky to have him.

• Games from JJ like today make me think he's still got a decent chance of being around next year to rack up his 10 year testimonial season.

Certainly if we didn't go up.

• That has made my season, great win against those twats !

• Think that's up there with the 2-1 win against Huddersfield back in the mid 90's and the 5-3 against Brentford as one of the best games I've ever seen at AP. Absolutely brilliant performance from the whole team and subs. Thought we played Derby off the park in the 2nd half, we were much the better side.

Staggered some Derby fans are suggesting we were lucky! For balance, I did speak to a very decent Derby fan on the way back to the car, who admitted Wycombe deserved the win and were the better team. I told him I wouldn't want Derby in the play offs. We had to play at our absolute maximum to get that result today. If we do finish in the top 6, I hope it's Wednesday and Derby that go up automatically.

• I'm clearly getting giddy but just imagine Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton Wanderers go up automatically and we get the better of Derby County, Ipswich Town and Plymouth Argyle in the play-offs to return to the Championship? There wouldn't be enough salt left in the world.

• Shall I prepare a space on the promotion bandwagon?

• Oh and nearly forgot. It wasn’t a ball boy juggling the ball killing time, it was just McCleary doing his thing.

• If we win our next two games, I'll be jumping aboard like the shameless trollop I am.

• That game was definitely up there with the 5-3 win over Brentford, the quality of our football and Derby providing stiff opposition make it a real feather in our cap.

• I think he was booked for a shirt pull right in front of the ref.

• What a performance. Thought we passed the ball really well at times whilst still using the long ball so well.

We were so determined today. GA and Dobbo get so much credit for nullifying them for so long.

Let’s hope we can turn that kind of performance in again at Accrington, will make the long journey on Tuesday worthwhile!

• Hard to put a finger on what was so special today. We didn't pass them off the park, or even cut down their chances. Just battled everywhere and won them.

What a way to turn your moments into wins. Gaz really does a better job than any at making huge gains from small margins.

A side that had lost its best player, without a standard CB, plays like that.

It's also an example of giving a signing time. Wing didn't pull up trees last season, and we've figured out the best spot for him, and he's been immense.

Credit must go to Wheeler and Scowen most of all. All over the place and everywhere it mattered.

• edited February 2023

They hadn't lost in the league since October and they can't take one measly away defeat graciously??? What a pathetic bunch. Let's 'ave 'em at Wembley...!

We definitely deserved that victory. Nothing to grumble, cry 'foul', or harangue the referee about. Just a fair and square beating. Even Max grabbing the ball was a non-issue given it’s our ball for the re-start.

As for @Raminpeace coming up with some shitarse phrase like “Ainsworthball”, it thoroughly justifies @perfidious_albion‘s excellent ‘send off’ earlier.

Tremendous gasroom thread too. Shout-outs to @micra for “Ramsinpieces”, @ReturnToSenda for services to anti-jinxing, and @glasshalfempty for never quite knowing when the season’s over. Oh, and there was an @LX1 classic buried in amongst the general euphoria too....

• Just got home. What a great game from 1 to 11 that's the best I have seen for a long time,great atmosphere in the terrace. Thought Mccarthy had a great game , was a bit worried when I saw him on the teamsheet,hopefully he is back to his best

• The first half link up between McCarthy and Scowen was a thing of beauty. Just a touch from anyone of 5 players (attacker or defenders) and that’s a goal. Derby were out of the game at that point.

• https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/40931-wycombe-wanderers-a-sat-11th-feb/

The saltiness on this whole thread from page 1 to 29 is absolutely glorious. I'm ecstatic that we beat these and ended their unbeaten run. A genuinely despicable football club from top to bottom. The way the club and (seemingly most of) their fans have conducted themselves over the last few years is nothing short of disgraceful. No acknowledgement of wrongdoing, or recognition of why we might have felt (highly) aggrieved by their blatant financial cheating and subsequent delaying tactics. They look to blame everyone but themselves at all times, including at a footballing level too. Some of the comments about our fantastic performance today are comically one-eyed and bitter

Only MK are ahead of them in the villain stakes for me. I can't stand them. Tonight feels so sweet