Skip to content

Ainsworth to QPR - West London Sport

Comments

• One day they're going to actually go for this.

• Saw a few people on facebook suggesting he's having an interview in the morning tomorrow.

Seems slightly unlikely with us playing an away game up north a few hours later?

• I had a look purely out of interest on the QPR forum earlier, and some on there seem to think he had an interview on Tuesday. He's been an outsider all week, about 20/1 but dropped massively today to 2/1... someone must have put a tenner on

• They've got their own glasshalfempty on there, who reckons their club have put out a string of "lesser" names, so that when Critchley gets it their fans will all be grateful 😂

• edited December 2022

GA has rumoured to interview with that club so many times that at this point he could just say "see previous answers", surely.

I expect that in a corner of his trophy cabinet he has a display of 'QPR Manager Job - Finalist' medals.

• Neil Critchley appointed

• edited December 2022

Glad I did not have to buy that hat to eat. Shall we all meet back here same time next season?

• Keep the thread on the back burner for another 6-9 months then.

• Beginning to think GA will stay here his entire life

• He's in a strange position of being super comfortable here, but just having that nag about wanting to prove it in the championship.

But at least we got there to show it's not an utterly fanciful dream doing it here.

• I really hope I survive to see GA (on laptop or TV) managing a slickly passing Wanderers team playing in front of unprecedentedly large crowds in the Championship. My little dream.

• Me too @micra but your message made me jolt a bit as the first few words seemed to jump out at me! 😳🤔😉

• Yes, a bit melodramatic @ValleyWanderer but having heard my condition described as terminal 18 months ago and being midway through my ninth decade, next season looks a long way off.

More pertinently, promotion to the Championship next May looks a stretch too far at present and looking beyond next season seems completely unrealistic.

• Can't be an easy place to be @micra . I hope you are OK.

We support a club that has come from a non league background, continues to attract gates of a mid table Lg2 side yet has provided wonderful adventures over the last 25 years or so reaching undreamt of heights in reaching FA Cup and League Cup semi finals and unbelievably the Championship. Part of us expects such adventures to continue and we will partly feel a little cheated if we don't have another improbable late run to the playoffs followed by Wembley glory.

The harsh reality is that over time things tend to revert to their mean and hence it is perhaps more likely that five years from now we will be playing Grimsby or Rochdale in a bottom half Lg2 hooffest than entertaining Sheffield United dreaming of a Championship playoff spot with the ball never once rising more than three feet from Adam's Park hallowed turf.

We all have a limited time on this planet. I guess all we can do is enjoy today.

• Lovely post.

Wycombe Wanderers have played a similarly important role in my life, from childhood to adulthood, and recently it's been a joy to be a part of 3 generations all attending together having been to games with my dad and my son.

Don't know what I'd do without it to be honest.

• Some vandal has inscribed AFC on my car. I wonder who?

• I know your moniker is based on your name @micra but I’d always hoped you drive a Nissan too!

• Corsa not @Lloyd2084 ! But I did have an orange (yes, really!) Datsun 180B (?) Estate with fine chocolate brown upholstery in the mid ‘sixties. Nissan were originally Datsun.

The registration was PAK211B and it shows what a devious/peculiar (?) mind I had/have because I always hoped to be able to sell it to a Pakistani lad at the time of his 21st birthday. I (but probably no one else) read it as “Pak 21 I’m”. Extraordinary.

I’m still not fully cured. mrs micra’s ancient Hyundai has a registration that I’ve kept going for decades since we bought an Astra Estate registered in Northern Ireland. It is ELZ 9842 and I always hoped I’d be able to sell it (the registration) to a lady named Elizabeth who was born on 9 August 1942 !

I have never actually tried and I think it’s a bit too late now !

PS we only need one car now so an exceedingly low mileage, slightly scratched Hyundai i 10 automatic will be available in a few months time. Apologies to @drcongo if it’s a bit naughty mentioning that on here.

• edited December 2022

Well now @micra, that's a coincidence with old registration numbers. I've saved a registration (A525BAP) that was on our trusty Maestro 1.6 HLS (wow! 😍😉😉😂), that we had from 1985 until we scrapped it in 1997. It represented such a lot of family life and the boys (1985 & 87) both growing up and eventually on private land, having a drive of the Maestro. I'm sure it's worthless really, as it doesn't spell or mimic anything. Although it's on hold at present, I keep meaning to order some new plates and transfer it to my trusty and excellent Kodiaq. Not a priority at present though.

I was also moved by my employers, but from West Sussex (well, Pound Hill in Crawley!) as I worked for NATS (National Air Traffic Services as it was then, now just NATS in modern branding) at Gatwick. That was in August 1993 and by the September my football mad neighbors had me to Adams Park and I've not really stopped going/supporting since then. I'm just a League glory boy as I don't have any history of the non-league days. We're still in the same house in Hughenden Valley after 29 years and are only just being considered not new comers any longer by our local friends and neighbors! It's a settled and pretty happy place.

On health @micra, it's too soon for a prognosis yet but I've been told not curable but treatable so in time (a long good time hopefully) possibly similar to your good self as it's gone from lung to spine as you know. Not worrying me, or denting my spirits and I remain firmly positive as we all must do to fight on. Just annoying that as I'm presently virtually immobile, I'm unable to utilise my ST or Upper Car Park ticket/pass (note to self: change to monthly ST payment?).

Anyway, as probably due to the morphine 🤦‍♂️, I've unintentionally now updated the entire Gasroom 🤔😘😂😂, I'll wish you @micra and all other Gasroom'rs, well and hope for Championship Football with our Wanderers as soon as possible for us all.

• Maybe the owner of a bakery (or a saucy postcard shop) in Rhyl would want that one.

• My first car number plate was B75 PLE. I’ve often thought it would’ve made a lovely Christmas gift for a Tory grandee to give to a lowly member of staff, still toiling in service in their old age.

• edited December 2022

I had a moped while a student in Norwich. Puch MS 50 V

RUD 83L

I went on one of those number plate sites and they insisted it would be worth money if they listed it. Struck me as very limited appeal and I couldn’t work out who would want it!

• Of course other cars are available, er well used to be.

Look at this beauty!

anyhoo all the very best @micra keep on keeping on.

• I had one of them, Oyster beige with brown plastic interior! It was an upgrade from my Ford Anglia 105E that I paid £25 for.

• Ainsworth 20/1 for the Norwich job.

A much loved Wycombe manager leaving us for Norwich?? Unthinkable.

• Norwich basically sacked Smith for not playing expansive winning football their fans demand, so thankfully Gareth has no chance of getting an interview.

This discussion has been closed.