Skip to content

Ainsworth to QPR - West London Sport

Comments

• If GA does decide that now is the right time to make that next step, who would take over? Do you reckon we'd get Sam Grace to see out the season then actively look for someone? Maybe Alfie might be tempted to help out?

• The reasoning behind the QPR fear is that it is a very special club to GA. However, he was there 7 years or so - including his playing career here he is almost double that at Wycombe. At what point is Wycombe simply more special than QPR, at least enough for the risk of short employment to not be worth the move?

• edited February 2023

If would be really interesting for sure. We know how attractive we are to players, but that's because of Gaz and Dobbo. How attractive would we be to managers? It's just totally weird to think about because of how long it's been.

• Presumably we would receive a fairly hefty fee for Gaz and Dobbo.

Put Sam in as interim until the summer. At that point the mad house at QPR sack them and they come dancing back.

Simples!!

• edited February 2023

Looking through the QPR forum, almost all of the posters want the manager out and a fair few have named GA as the replacement. However, their concern is FFP. If they sack and have to pay compensation to manager (that they gave a 3yr deal to) plus the compensation to another club for a manager/coach from another club, they might be breaching their restrictions again. After their £50M fine several seasons ago, I don't think they can risk it after already being on the league's 'watch' list and seeing what happened to Derby.

So in summary, I believe GA (& Dobbo) are safe from QPR at the moment, but I believe its a matter of 'when' not 'if'

• That'd be an absolutely huge step from the development work to managing the first team, even on a caretaker role!

• While it would only be a short-term solution, I think it makes sense. He has (limited) experience of coaching a side, the squad know him and they know him and some of them have experienced his style.

Rather than an outsider coming in, the power struggle that happens and the different tactics that could destroy our season

• Maybe a combination of Grace and JJ (player coach), would suffice until end of season. However, all speculation with GA not gone anywhere.

• My GA-paranoia-ometer is firmly at zero.

• Is @Otter87 an Oxford infiltrator?

• How dare you! I wouldn't be seen dead wearing anything with an Oxford badge on!

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2023

Apologies Mr Otter, an unforgivable slur! 😉

• You are on thin ice Mr (or Mrs) @LX1 😉

• edited February 2023

If he left now then O’Neill would come in as interim until the summer.

He would get A#%N Sm?”H in as number 2 and show him how it should be done.

He would not sign Sieb Dykstra.

Or Mark Foran.

• edited February 2023

Neil Critchley has been sacked

• I don't know enough about QPRs owners to know if this is the time they're most likely to go for Gaz or not. But I imagine their fans must be clamouring for him right now.

I would say that - based on things on the pitch - this feels like the time GA would be least likely to leave us. The team are superb at the moment and the season is heading towards a very special ending. If he was approached I think he'd really struggle to walk away right now.

Of course the great unknown in all of this is the Couhigs. I suspect Gareth's future plans may be heavily linked to theirs. If he knows they're likely to slash the budget in the summer and put the club up for sale than there's absolutely no chance he turns down QPR now (if they do come calling).

• Hopefully they keep ignoring their most obvious appointment.

Coming in for him in the next month or so would be horrible timing, as Gareth will probably know he won't get multiple chances

• I think , if offered , Ainsworth will go this time because of the uncertainty with the Couhig ownership. Would he take his management team with him?

• edited February 2023

• Last time he got interviewed, he apparently wasn't happy with the length of contract that would have been on the table (I'm not sure if he actually got offered the job). This time, their FFP run-in might help us out, as @Otter87 mentions up the thread.

• And we’re off. Speculation galore. I still think that QPR is a bat shit crazy club and not a safe home for GA. He deserves a chance at a higher level and it would be wrong to block him but DON’T GO GARETH. PLEASE DON’T GO

• edited February 2023

Gareth apparently has a regular pre game haunt on a Saturday morning, and my Reading supporter pal has seen him there a few times and said he asked him about past rumours.

Said he was agreed to go to Reading, but they pulled out last minute, and Gaz said "and don't even ask about QPR".

• Last time he was very close to joining them and us getting Leam Richardson.

Hopefully he stays as he's brilliant for us, was thinking earlier how good he is and the players we sign are almost always spot on. Max and Wing are just 2 from this season who have been brilliant signings.

• He's going to go one day, I hope with all my heart it's not this time.

We should at least do whatever we can to keep him. Offer him a ten year contract, whatever

• I'd already convinced myself he'd be off this summer, but this would be a bit of a bummer.

• How sweet would it be to take blooms back off Col U and they end up back in relegation trouble..

• I think he’ll stay

• Best stay off the cheese or I’ll have a dream tonight in which the Rev is appointed.

This discussion has been closed.