Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• Was distracted for5 mins watching our favourite drummer in an animated row with some bloke in a white t shirt. Stewards had to step in.

• Play offs, not a chance playing like this in the second half. There will be loads of posters complaining about the referee decisions but we need to score when we are on top. Should have been 6 points from Cambridge and Morecambe, we end up with 1. We had a real opportunity with this run of games to get into the mix but what a poor start. I expect Ainsworth will be proud of the Lads!!!!

• @Glenactico I agree we play too deep much of the time & certainly when we have games like today we need to be a good 5-10m further forward which makes Mawson, JJ & Obita's ability to hit pretty accurate long straight or diagonal balls much more dangerous.

I haven't lost faith in the team & I believe that we will, despite GA's stubborness, figure it out & become a more passing team than we have been historically & that we will find our scoring boots.

At least 7 of today's starting 11 are very comfortable with the ball at & to feet & we should be making the most of that rather than just tonking the ball up the park

• I’d rather we just drew the game to an incredible but fair second half Morecambe rally. To draw it largely based on referee input is so disengaging.

And like the mafia, no one associated with the club can now speak a bad word against the referee’s performance otherwise they’ll face a ban. So no lessons will be learnt and we’ll likely have another referee not fit for purpose on Tuesday.

Officiating is at such a low standard it’s incredible.

• Absolute waste of those 2 away wins throwing 5 points away at home straight after.

No idea why that Vokes goal was ruled out and no idea why the late one was either.

If their goal didn't cross the line then it'll be an absolute disgrace as a linesman has to be certain. Not guess.

Fireworks in daylight after a draw against bottom of the league is the most embarrassing after match since Klopp had his boys all inter locking arms and whooping it up to the Kop after a draw v West Brom

• edited October 2022

“Favourite” in the ironic sense @Malone or was it the one with a more creative sense of rhythm ?!

• Now some rain. That tops it off.

• McCleary was quiet but worth remembering he did provide a moment of quality with his assist, in a game where no one else managed to do that. His quality in moments like that is why he starts games.

• That right there is why we will not be causing any trouble to the Top 6 this season. Today and Tuesday - prime examples of not being able to put a team away when you're on top, running out of ideas and making no changes until it's then too late. Fireworks almost as much of an embarrassment as the result.

• Wish I had seen the last few minutes at Charlton - Ipswich looks like an eventful match

• edited October 2022

Very much so ironic.

We could hear him chanting relentlessly so I wonder if white shirt took exception to it.

If he did he has no right to but it was very noticeable he did none afterwards.

• edited October 2022

Surrounded as I was by, say, twenty people not one of whom uttered one positive, good-humoured or encouraging comment to the team for the entire game but who were very happy to abuse Morecambe’s (excellent and apparently agreeable) keeper at any opportunity, I find myself stood outside the ground wondering if I might want to come again.

The team, with its lack of energy and quality, and those fans, for whom support seems apparently to mean nothing other than shouting abuse, got no more or less than they deserved today.

Addendum. Re the second disallowed goal: the ref blew some moments before the goal was scored. I’m pretty sure he did so for a foul by Hanlan on the last defender before the challenge with the keeper and I think he may have been justified in doing so though there seemed to be something rather uneven about his overall performance today, loath as I am to comment on referees and being clear that we should have won the game handily regardless.

• What does Ainsworth say to them at half time? That's the second game in a week where we have gone from super passing football in the first 45 to "hit it at Vokes and hope" in the second half.

• The point with the drummer is, if we push rightly to get it taken away, with many people saying 'we don't need him', you need to walk the walk you've talked.

• edited October 2022

On a formation note, it's surely time to ditch this three at the back routine.

The positives are that it gets JJ in the team and you can play wingback.

But our two aren't contributing enough attacking wise to justify it. And the centre mid is missing key players, yet we're going with a 2.

So surely in the meantime either starting Hanlan or Horgan makes more sense?

• For the second game in a row, a completely lethargic second half.

Had loads of possession in the first 20 mins of the second half, however moved the ball so slowly and had no incisive edge.

Just let them come more and more into it until the expected equaliser came.

I was expecting a whistle for the second ruled out goal, but couldn’t see anything wrong with Vokes’ header.

• It's quite worrying they're ruling that sortof Vokes header out as it'd be pretty hard to score it without making any contact on the defender.

Contact doesn't mean foul though.

• I'd be very worried if Gareth was actually happy with that.

• Perhaps @bluntphil could pass on to our manager the phone number of the chap he interviewed on the impact of extra substitutions.

We're a bit stale at the moment and a few players are tired but we seem to have little or no interest in doing anything about that.

And yes the ref was dreadful, they tend to be but you get the impression we could have been 3 up at half time and ended with about 6 regardless of those disallowed.

• I’ll be interested to see it on the highlights. From the other end of the pitch, I did think that he’d got up nice and early and hung up there for a notably long time.

• Regardless of the decisions made by the ref today and Tuesday, it's not good enough to come out of those games with just one point.

• I’m beginning to feel like that myself @HCblue and I’m no longer able to attend matches.

Part of the frustration is not being able to fathom why such a talented bunch of players are having such difficulty in penetrating packed defences.

The apparent reluctance to bring on attacking substitutes until very late in games is also hard to fathom. We suddenly looked more likely to score when Hanlan was belatedly introduced. I’m not sure if he actually scored the second disallowed goal but he was certainly involved in the melee from which the ball was forced in.

• Subs made far too late again, you could see the energy draining out of our lads legs far before the 70th minute usual change time. Their keeper had an excellent game and made two fine saves, one from Mehmeti and that brilliant reflex save from Vokes in the second half.

You could actually sense that equaliser coming.

First half Brazil, second have Col U. 🤦🤦🥲

• I suppose you have to believe that the substitutes could add something new to the game, at the point they are introduced.

That's worrying and, on that basis, whats the point of Kaikai, Horgan, Wheeler on the bench.

Surely it's part of the tactical plan to to know you have these players on the bench and how they can be utilised to your advantage?

• Any two of Scowan, Thompson, and Gape back and it will all be fixed.

• That’s the real frustration for me too. Not just the results/performances but that they are being produced by some of the most talented players we’ve ever had.

I thought we’d broken out of our early season malaise, but it feels like we’re right back to square one.

• He floats like a butterfly but is not allowed to sting like a bee.

On the subject of referees, did anyone else notice this afternoon’s incumbent crossing himself as he emerged from the tunnel at the start of the match ? I’ve seen many a player doing that but not a referee.

• We deserved to win because we scored more perfectly good goals than the opposition. Still a first half team though.

I really hate this season so far.