Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• Only from people who have worked a day in football, of course.

Which suddenly reminds me - I was a steward for one season in the 90s. I HAVE worked a day in football! I will now work on some constructive criticisms...

• Without going all Aloysius, where are the Couhigs? They were front and centre of everything last season when all was going well, this season we've had not much more than a peep at the start of the season.

• Lighting the fireworks?

• Considering I was told by car park staff on Tuesday that they weren't allowed to use the larger spotlights to assist with safer parking as the club are "tight", the fireworks in broad daylight after a 1-1 draw do seem a puzzling use of money.

• I think Gareth is simply trying to manage our expectations.

• I'm pretty torn on these past two games - the second halves left a lot to be desired but I am convinced we would have been easy winners of both games had the two perfectly fine Vokes goals been allowed.

It's hard to be too upset with the team when they have been jobbed by atrocious officiating, but at the same time, there are still those underlying issues we have all talked about - failure to put teams away, poor second halves, late to non-existent substitutions.

• I’m of the same view that I think we will turn it around (probably with a change of formation) and that the management team and squad are well capable of it.

But I really hope it happens sooner rather than later. So far this season has been very forgettable indeed.

• edited October 2022

Pete was at the Peterborough game (I think he's moved back to the States), but they have been less visible. Whether that's a coincidence or not, I don't know - but I'm leaning towards the latter. And I think the fireworks are - among many things - quite insulting when there are various, actually important things which need/needed fixing on and off the pitch.

• I’ve got a crap memory (hence the vagueness), but didn’t they hire someone (Phil Alexander?) to do the job Pete C was doing? I think Rob C did address this topic at the last fan meeting thing, I don’t think it’s been hidden.

• Back to a back 4 please, we are just wasting a player with 3 at the back at the moment. Essentially we are not a better side playing 3 centre backs, and keep going back to the formation to shoehorn in full backs into central defence as we have been light in that position for about 18 months now. We must get back to a 4 and stick with it!

This is the first time under Gareth that, at the moment anyway, the team is certainly less than the sum of its parts, as we have some absolutely excellent players but a pretty average team.

• edited October 2022
  • He’s probably telling him how to line up the fireworks 😁

• Pete’s back in the States after living away from his family for over a year. Good for him I say.

Rob was on RTBs recently and is spending most of his time getting on with his day job. Again, that seems like a good use of his time.

I’m far from being a Couhig apologist, but let’s not imagine smoke where there’s no fire.

• Alfie is suspended for the Port Vale game.

• edited October 2022

Has Pete's involvement finished then? Or is he taking a break? It didn't sound sustainable long term did it, being away from his family like that?

Surprised it seemed to end so quietly though, he was very in your face here and now wasn't he?

• I haven't heard that Pete is no longer CFO, so i assume he's still doing whatever that involves. I'm honestly not sure if that's a full time job, or something he works around his other responsibilities, like Rob does.

But yes, his involvement is certainly night and day compared to the last couple of years.

• Probably not a bad thing, to give him an enforced rest.

For all the talk of worries about his injuries, he's started every game that matters so far.

Probably not a bad thing to not push our luck with continual midweek-weekend double ups.

• Tuesday needs to be an overhaul and some sacred cows need to be sacrificed I’m afraid. Obita, McCleary and McCarthy must be dropped. Obita was better today than Tuesday thankfully but I would much rather see Kaikai there. McCleary is largely awol. McCarthy is not producing for me and I would rather see Horgan or Freeman there. I would even be tempted to drop Vokes everyone in the ground can see we are not playing to his strengths and yet we don’t change to suit him. So why bother?

• And what a silly way to get suspended - kicking the ball away a couple of metres.

• Vokes was a couple of marginal decisions off 2 in 2. So I'm not sure there's any reason to drop him bar him actually needing a rest, having had quite a run of games since injury,

• Didn't we have someone that was brought in as a substitute advisor - can't remember the 'official' title - but I wonder what he is doing (or not)

• I don’t know, it prevents a quick throw, gives the defence time to get organised. Seems like a fair enough one to take.

• Keep in the side if we are going to hit the wings and cross the ball. Rest him if we are going to carry on lumping balls up in the air for opposition defenders to win.

• Exactly this. I’m feeling pretty deflated about the current set-up for the first time in a very long time. I think the problem at the base of midfield is perhaps more of an issue than is being fully acknowledged, but we have a genuinely really good squad of players for this level who are not performing anything close to well enough as a team. I hope Gaz is feeling the pressure and responds as we know he can.

• 1 sub today when you are allowed 5 and no kaikai was depressing.

Shocking officiating today but we are going nowhere with 1 point from home games vs Cambridge and Morecambe.

As I said a few weeks ago, happy to accept a season of consolidation as just can't see us putting a consistent run together to challenge for the top 6 at all.

• The thing with 4 at the back, is GA doesn't trust Obita there on his own. I agree with him but its annoying to play JJ and Obita as 1 LB

• If he doesn’t trust them there then go out and get someone else surely.

• Personally I think GA is going 5 at the back because he knows the weakness we have in midfield with Scowen or Gape.

• Without not with