Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Most of our corners looked pretty good, bar a couple of over hit ones from Obita and that awful short corner on the left.

• When you look at our current position and you look at some of the negative and anti-Ainsworth tweets etc it makes you stop and think what exactly would become of our club should Gareth decide he has had enough.

Some will say ‘well someone else will come along’ but the truth is that Gareth is much more important to Wycombe, than Wycombe is to him. Without Gareth we lose our identity. Also, what would the Couhigs do if Gareth did walk? They have never known another manager and never been at another club or experienced management change. I think Gareth going would be the start of what could be a pretty swift fall from grace for WWFC.

At times I have been frustrated by our style of play but Gareth has earned a lot of respect that doesn’t fade away because of one bad start to a season. We all need to get behind him and the team to see this through together.

• On a brighter note, Anthony Stewart scored for Aberdeen today!!

• Can we just petition RC to sue David Stockdale for the first goal in the playoff final and pretend the start of the season never happened?

• I broadly agree, but we will have to cope with him leaving eventually!

• He’s not National League. He is championship quality. He is probably championship wage. We all know that. Which makes some of his performances more frustrating and today was one of those performances. Answers as to why? Not a clue. It’s not through lack of effort.

Today in the second half we lacked a lot of things. A sharp finish. A bit of composure. A bit of intelligence. A bit of leadership. A bit of calmness. We just became a mess. A horrid mess. Today was points dropped and with three tough games coming up it could look really ugly come the end of the month.

• Clearly the team are putting in plenty of effort but we lack leadership on the pitch, no composure and certainly don’t look like scoring. Despite the injuries, there are enough good players to be performing at a far better standard. We haven’t recruited well enough. Who is to blame ? What happened to the targets , we were after. Have the Couhigs not supported Ainsworth? We look at best , a mid table team. Very frustrating.

• edited October 2022

I found today very depressing, in spite of what I think was generally a very good first half. I don't think it is an overreaction to a single loss as much as some worrying longer term trends (no comebacks, coughing up leads, poorer second halves) and the fact that this season seems so utterly snakebitten. Even the "optimistic outlook" almost gets downgraded each time:

Summer 2021: We were unlucky to get relegated from the Championship, but we will get back there with this squad.

Summer 2022: We may have lost the playoff final, but we will be up there again this season.

Now: We may not be up there again this season, but we won't get relegated.

I still find it terribly disappointing that we had a single second tier season behind closed doors that should have been at least two or three (let's face it - we would have stayed up easily last season). I still find it terribly disappointing that we passed up an opportunity to send Bayo out a winner at Wembley and pass Derby on their way down. But now the consolation for going backwards is "at least we probably won't get relegated."

I think our current malaise is obviously composed of many different factors, so there is no need to rehash them all here. I don't think we will get relegated by any means, but we are heading for a third season in a row with a massive "if only" hanging over it - a third missed opportunity in a row to further transform and strengthen our club.

• Just going through the match thread. How can anyone be Horgan's biggest fan? The most anonymous player I've ever seen in a Wycombe shirt. We've been playing with 10 men all season

• Ever ? You've obviously not been watching for many years then.

We havnt been playing with 10 men all season as he's hardly been given a game, possibly part of the problem

• I like Horgan. He takes up good positions, clever passer and often brings out the best in the likes of McCleary and Mehmeti. He hasn't really got going this season though and yesterday, although he never stopped trying and did find himself in good positions, his confidence looked rock bottom.

• I think Horgan is a very good player, and is one of the best in the squad at picking a pass which gets someone in behind the defence. I’d be more than happy for him to play most weeks. He didn’t have a good game yesterday though.

• edited October 2022

It sounds like Horgan had a bit of a mare yesterday - I didn't watch the game - but how anyone can have watched him for more than two seasons now and think he's 'anonymous' is baffling.

• How'd you work that out? He's played an average of 37 minutes per game.

• edited October 2022

As reported earlier on the appropriate ‘ex player’ thread😉

• edited October 2022

My frustration with Horgan is that he can clearly see the pass in his head, but so often that doesn't translate to his feet. Far too frequently it's either underhit or overhit.

• I can see the pass in my head

• Speaking to someone after the game yesterday they asked when Wing would be available again after watching him for 90 odd minutes. People see or don’t see different things.

• So can I but my legs just don’t translate it 😂😂

• I actually think we played quite well for a lot of the game yesterday. It was quite clear after 60-65 mins that Vokes should have come off. Stryjek’s kicking was pretty poor. The pitch is in outstanding condition. Fair play to whoever is contributing to that.

• I hear this guy was spotted at AP in the early hours of Saturday morning

• Careful.

I believe the majority of the gasroom believe anyone who doesn't recognise Horgan as anything but an incredible player doesn't understand football.

He's not in there for assists or goals apparently.

• That's plain odd, as he was very easy to spot sitting very deep and spraying balls to McCleary for a lot of the game.

It is remarkable how people see things differently though, and how quick people are to try and demolish anyone who doesn't agree.

I do of course separate the couple of posters who couldn't see it with Vokes, which I have to say was plain bizarre.

• It's the players - barely keeping the ball on it ☺️

• Wing yesterday I thought was fairly effective. Probably in a role that involved him defending more than he would like. But he seemed to get on the ball a fair bit and went looking for it. I THINK Horgan was supposed to be playing in the number 10 role behind Vokes and was chasing shadows. When he did get a clear run through he failed to control it. It’s not a lack of quality. It’s a lack of the right position and the lack of confidence. With the players (not) available I would have preferred an energetic Pattenden in front of the defence, Wing in the 10 role and Horgan on the bench making an impact.

• edited October 2022

I have not been Wing's biggest fan so far this season but I voted for him, as he seemed to be involved everywhere. More of that please, Lewis!!!

• How many times have we said...it would be good if we could go away, snatch a goal from a set piece and shut up shop?

They were worthy of the win on the basis that they scored 1 and we scored 0. It wasn't daylight robbery. More of a "professional job". That's a tactic, is it not???

• Erm yes, but their manager is acting like he's put in this incredible plan that has taken months to create to beat us.