Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• There's not a chance he'll be sacked by the end of the World cup, even if we're bottom, and even if he has a Sanchez style meltdown and starts slagging the fans off.

• I'm not sure JJ and McCleary are in the same category.

JJ has had a miserable season so far, conceding numerous pens, free kicks, own goals, give aways etc, but he's a squaddie now.

McCleary had many runs today and whipped in some dangerous crosses, and as a reminder this is after missing a month or so of games.

• I'm with those who are more optimistic after today. We are in transition, perhaps quicker than we anticipated. The older players seem to have declined quite quickly, but the younger players - Leathers for example KaiKai Al Hamadi along with others look to be the future. Quite quickly as well, Forino as an example is quickly becoming established. Mid table would be good, but who knows that without the normal post Christmas collapse we could scrape playoffs?!

• The 'embarrassingly associate ourselves with a Trumpophile Goon' comment is the strangest take of the Couhigs take over

• edited October 2022

Eh? Watch the video the club tweeted earlier. That's the Liuetenant Governor of Louisiana, who begged Trump to stop the removal of Confederate statues and literally wore Trump socks to meet the man himself. I don't think politicians of any persuasion should be involved in official club promotional material, but I especially don't think we should be associating ourselves with people like him. It doesn't reflect well on the club and it's understandably had a lot of pushback from fans.

• I think we can forget play-offs now but would really love it to happen. We have lost too many games now to impact the top 6 in my opinion but we will certainly be in the top half.

The youngsters look OK but we need our senior players back from injury to start climbing the league table.

We will be fine but we are going through lots of changes this season and January may bring further change in personnel. Mehmeti may just get a chance to further his career and if he does, then we need to use any money to strengthen our squad.

• Agree with you.

The development guys look a mile off doing anything bar mere cameos this season. Obviously Forino has properly stepped up so isn't in that category any more.

He still has a lot to prove though of course, and needs to be strengthened a bit as he attracts quite a few knocks and misses games or is subbed off, again happening today.

While on one hand our current starting line up isn't far off our best line up (arguably Scowen short of our best today, with Forino a decent sub for Taf), it's that set of options off the bench to rotate in and take the heat off them - Wheeler, Thompson, Gape, Hanlan.

• edited October 2022

Looked a bit short of confidence today and I’m not sure why. Maybe not converting the chances first half took its toll.

Really need to step it up on and off the pitch at Oxford, get behind the players and Gaz and get the old siege mentality back a bit

• Though McCleary was excellent 1st half, caused their defence all sorts of problems. Quieter in the 2nd half granted. Horgan was poor, no doubt about that. His confidence just looked shot, could tell by all the underhit passes.

Did we play that badly 2nd half? Final ball was dreadful at times, but we got in to great positions on countless occasions. A very frustrating half yes, as despite being top, Plymouth looked there for the taking today. We just couldn't get that final ball right.

• The slightly mad irony is that we signed Mawson fearing he'd be the one we'd lose here and there for injury, yet so far ok and instead almost everyone else!

McCarthy, Taf, Forino, Wheeler, Gape, Thompson, Scowen, Vokes, Kaikai, Mellor, Hanlan so far.

Throw McCleary in for his month suspension and that is a mad missing list for everyone who is moaning a lot and seemingly refusing to acknowledge this.

• Did we play that badly 2nd half? Final ball was dreadful at times, but we got in to great positions on countless occasions.

You say that, but we had 5 shots in the second half, none of them on target, 2 blocked, none of them until the last 15 minutes. In fact, we didn't even get possession of the ball in the final third until half an hour into the second half. It was absolutely amateur.

• Interestingly we were outshithoused as well which just rubbed salt into the wounds tbh.

• Plymouth did a Wycombe on us today. If stats win games, we won hands down. They were clever, niggly, and an all round nuisance and they killed the game. Something that we seem to have forgotten how to do.

Feel so sorry for Horgan. He looked mortified when he came off. Out of order to be cheered when his name got called out for the substitution. We are "supporters" - which means, you SUPPORT your team when we go through rough patches, as much as you would when we are winning - if not, they need us MORE.

There is no doubt the squad is strong. Injuries have not helped. But.....we were poorly managed in the off season. I liken our situation (albeit on a different scale) to Liverpool. Lots of injuries, great squad on paper, no signings - look what happens when everyone around you strengthens.

We just look unbalanced, no backbone, no plan B, no fight. So strange because we played ok today - I just can't pinpoint the problem.

• God football is frustrating at times, and someone mentioned a grenade earlier, but I will definitely be keeping the pin in the grenade until 19th November after we've played Cambridge, Morecambe, port Vale and Forest Green, if we are still crap and losing it will be time for panic stations.

• Also I think losing Stewart, Stockdale, Bayo, andBloomfield is having a massive affect on the team, we look lost at timed. I hope Mawson can start stepping up, he's the type of player others will follow.

• As I said earlier I believe we will be alright and finish top half but I do agree with @thecatwwfc that there is something missing and not just the injured players.

Since our Wembley defeat we seem to be going through the motions somewhat, can’t put a finger on it but we don’t seem as up for it as we have been in previous seasons.

• If 'fans' were cheering Horgan or any player getting subbed that's a disgrace.

• We’ll be fine. That performance would have been enough to win against most teams in the league. It was only a few games ago we battered Barnsley. Scowen out is a concern, but Wing played well enough today to convince me he can play there - although with a very different approach.

If I used the definition of a must-win game that some seem to subscribe to, then I would describe the Oxford game as a must-win game.

• It came from the terrace. People cheered when Horgan got subbed. It may be the irony of how long it took to take him off.

It's all very well wanted someone to come off, but who was supposed to replace him? That's a lot to ask of Adam Leathers (who did well by the way),

Final mention the the Plymouth fans - who were excellent today.

• I'm pretty sure Liverpool spent somewhere in the 80-100m region on one striker didn't they?

• Yep, that's poor.

As long as a player is putting in effort, which even Horgan's biggest critic couldn't argue, than you can't be acting like that.

I do wonder how many 90mins Horgan has managed for us though. Being subbed is his standard.

• edited October 2022

Who went and got a three-match ban for violent conduct in the second league game of the season 😅

• edited October 2022

@ReturnToSenda

I’m happy to have had the State of Louisiana sponsor today’s game - great fun. Quirky and positive.

I’m happy for their elected Lieutenant Governor to represent them in their promotional video. Perfectly appropriate and, more, none of my gosh darn business.

”People like him” is not a phrase that will persuade anyone who doesn’t already share your own framing. By all means leave Louisiana off your own to-visit list.

• Yes. They knew they needed a striker all summer and left it until the last minute.

We didn't even buy anything that we knew we needed.

Our version was the Bishop/Stryjek saga.