Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• How has a team that got 80 points last season, without much on pitch change, ended up with this start

• It's okay lads - I have it on good authority that the table does not matter until Xmas. I think something about points not counting till then. We'll be right as rain when the season starts in earnest.

• Let's see some people try and put some gloss on that !

Poor 2nd half from team 1-0 down

• Still 0 points from losing positions. What's the opposite of Close Quarters - Distant Triangles?

• I was excited when we had so many ball playing attackers out there. I thought we would conceded a lot but score too. The first half was indeed some great build up play - credit where credit is due. But the second half I think we forgot that Bayo has retired.

• I suppose our players don’t get much opportunity in training to practice passing on the deck.

• The Generals have all gone and the troops are lost without them!

• You do have to wonder how close Ainsworth came to leaving this summer

• This is an over-reaction.

Autos? No.

Playoffs. No.

Relegation candidates? Definitely not.

Got to remember we’ve played Derby, SW and Plymouth in consecutive weeks. Easier games against mid table / lower table opponents will come and we’ll get points from those games, something teams in the relegation places don’t do.

• Horrible horrible horrible second half. Where to begin? Vokes not fit and barely wins a header so let’s keep lumping it to him in a wind that holds the ball up. Idiocy. Horgan with a classic Horgan performance of the ages. So many others sub par.

and Plymouth were NOT good

It’s time to wake the fuck up and admit we are in a relegation scrap. Maybe they will put in performances like we used to get when last minute goals were our thing today we were unrecognisable

• Why does every second half have to be hoof and hope? Why does everyone except Freeman and Mehmeti treat the ball like a grenade with the pin out? There's absolutely no point in watching the second half of a Wycombe match these days, it's guaranteed to be dreadful turgid stuff with barely any chances created. This is not a team that's going to sneak into the play-offs, it's impossible to do that if you only turn up for 45 minutes each week. This is a team that's going to sneak into the relegation zone.

• it's time for a change , we are predictable and boring, GA does not have enough tactical nouse to change a game , having a great man manager gets you so far ...

• It would be genuinely impressive if we managed to get relegated with this squad, but it's hard to see us finishing in the top half without things changing dramatically.

• The problem is, we lose to Oxford next week and folks will say "You have to remember we have played Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Plymouth and then Oxford away, who have been struggling but are a good team on their day. Then the week after it's a great Peterborough side, and so forth.

If you making excuses for a losing run against good teams, you are not a good team.

• Perfect! Good to see your succinct genius back!

• edited October 2022

And that big Sam doesn’t win the ball in the air that often. He did display a degree of athleticism on one occasion in the second half though, with an acrobatic overhead kick whilst falling backwards. Not sure how wide of the left hand post his shot was.

• Precisely this. We're supposed to be challenging for autos, aren't we?

• At least Colchester lost.

Ah......

• I remember Garath McCleary saying after he signed for us that Wycombe had rekindled his love for football. I'm wondering if that still remains the case - this season he's not really been playing with the same panache or cockiness as he did at the start of last season. I expected him to come out today all guns blazing after the last few weeks on the sidelines but it didn't really materialise.

There's still a big problem with Stryjek's distribution, though it can't have been easy today with the sun in his eyes. This is a major difference to last season - with Stockdale we both had the shot-stopping and the ability to create play.

I would say these are the biggest differences since last season. The converse being that we now have a much more developed Mehmeti - who's capable of being match winner more often. Maybe the problem is we've started to rely on him too much, so that when he has an off day like today we have a real problem with creativity.

What I really don't get is why Gareth signed Kaikai when he seems to not rate him at all. Last year he hardly got any breaks even when he impressed in every cameo. His first match back this season he looked like he was picking up where he left off... now he's behind Leathers in the substitution pecking order? Seven minutes on the pitch today when we're one goal down? Absolute madness.

• Thought we played to our strengths in the first half and to Gareth’s inclinations in the second. On that score and re the couple of previous comments on the topic: worth keeping in mind we played the long ball game long before Bayo arrived.

I enjoyed the first half. Very much didn’t enjoy the second. The number of offsides was frankly not ok - no point moaning about the ref if you don’t look after your own responsibilities. I have long thought that Vokes gets caught offside far too often and for no good reason - the Achilles heel of an otherwise estimable player. It cannot become a wider-spread habit.

Congrats to Plymouth but I’m honestly struggling to see how they are top of the table given the quality of a decent number of the other teams we’ve played. Ho hum.

• edited October 2022

Embarrassingly associate ourselves with a Trumpophile goon then lose to a team whose heads we're usually well and truly inside. This club has had better days.

• A few quick takes from the game (very much heat of the moment so forgive any jumps to conclusions):

1) If we had scored in that first half I believe we would have won the game today

2) Vokes should have scored with his point-blank header in the first half and is going through the same kind of form he had at the start of last season where he was missing his fair share of quality chances

3) Leathers looked pretty bright, and actually has some physicality about him. He should be ahead of Horgan (who was poor) in the pecking order

4) We have to start trusting Kaikai more otherwise he may as well leave

5) Seeing as we haven’t once come back from a losing position yet this season, you’d think we’d experiment with earlier subs at least once. When you consider how little football is generally played after the 70th minute in today’s game (due to time wasting and low-quality hoof ball from both sides), by the time we bring on our subs it feels the game has already slipped away and therefore their ability to influence the game very limited (see Kaikai, AAH today)

6) 4 minutes of added time seemed low

7) Whilst the ref was genuinely terrible, we helped him out today by making too many unnecessary fouls and losing discipline on offsides

8) We’ll start to pick up points soon when this run of tricky games finishes, but the gap we’ll need to make up by then probably means that it’ll be a mid table kind of season this year (especially if Scowen and Taf are out for any prolonged period of time)

• can't wait for GA interview , saying the same stuff like we were unlucky and should of won and injuries hurting us ....blah blah blah

• Tough watch but essentially a stupid challenge and pen were the difference against the top of the league team!

If that is top of league standard We're certainly not far off it.

Always going to struggle with that central 3 even if it contained two of the thread's favourites but its onto next week and not one to dwell on

• A couple of relegation 6 pointers coming up against Oxford and Franchise. The thing that concerns me a bit is this is a squad put together to challenge for promotion, I’m not sure they are players who are up for a relegation scrap.

Need to turn this around pretty sharpish.

• And it will have worse.

it’s being so cheerful that keeps me going.

• I have to wonder what you make that comment? Whatever happened with GA in the summer is not the reason we have all the injuries and lack of confidence now.

• Generally speaking I wouldn’t argue with you - I’m a firm believer of not papering over cracks and not being ignorant to areas of genuine weakness. But at the same time there’s a big difference between how we’ve performed so far this season and how a team who may genuinely get relegated will perform.

The truth is somewhere in the middle I think - we’re not nearly as good as our chairman thinks we are, but we’re also not so bad that we’re likely to be relegation candidates.