Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• I thought the fans in general today weren't too bad. Subdued perhaps, but supportive of the team and I think appreciating that we actually played reasonably well, despite the midfield injuries. There were certainly a few idiots behind the goal though who were very hostile to out own players, Horgan in particular. A real shame and you could see it was affecting them. The look Vokes gave the terrace said it all, after he got dogs abuse for his overhit pass when attempting to play Mehmeti through.

All that said, it was good to see most of the fans giving the players applause after the final whistle, they looked absolutely gutted, McCarthy was in tears. No lack of effort, but it's clear confidence is being affected by the results.

• Not sure what to make of today's match. We were certainly not outplayed by the league leaders. I'd say we were, arguably, the slightly better side. But, having taken the lead from a soft penalty they saw out the game relatively comfortably, albeit aided by some less than clinical finishing on our part. I still maintain that we are a good side and just need a little luck to kick-start our season. The applause for Bill was incredibly moving from all quarters of the ground.

• I believe it would be an utter disaster for our club to sack GA, and I have always qualified that with "even if we get relegated." I think he brings something special to the club that gives us the best chance of punching above our weight.

That being said, I have always wondered how the Couhigs will act if things get shaky at any point after unbridled success (even the Championship relegation was about as satisfying of an attempt at safety as possible, with heads held high). I really hope they see the bigger picture with GA, but he seems to be feeling significant pressure - the calling out our online "idiot" fans in the preview, only to then say he does not read the comments anyway, "so post away" felt very weird and awkward, and unlike GA. It may simply be the results alone, but he seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders lately.

• Interesting. PAFC planned this tactic for 5 months.

To me, that says a lot about how far we have come. Teams the size of Plymouth plotting on how the hell they beat little old Wycombe.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/schumachers-wycombe-reaction

• I didn't read it, but I assume the tactic was "score the first goal".

• We haven't heard anything from RC for a while, have we?

• No, and Americans are sore losers. We/they (I'm half American) don't do moral victories or take the rough with the smooth. I am intrigued and nervous to see how the owners handle us being so much lesser than the sum of our parts. I feel this is the most significant test of their ownership to date, at least as it pertains to on the field issues (Covid was worse).

• edited October 2022

Wow, not realised he'd said something like that.

He's usually so utterly dignified, with only that Plymouth oaf Adams getting under his skin before.

I joked earlier that he wouldn't be sacked even if we were bottom and he started slagging off fans.

And that it wasn't his Sanchez meltdown time yet,

Let's hope it stays that way!

• edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

• We'll never know, but it'd of course be interesting to know who we tried to sign this summer and how/why it fell through.

Did we judge the squad as strong - which it is, when fit.

Or did we try and fail to bring 2-3 others in?

Everytime we made one of those many development signings, I must admit I thought, yeah that's great, but what about the first team?

• If the plan was to get the fortune to win an early pen and then ride their luck as we bungled a few chances, while they offered very little at all, then they pulled it off to perfection!

• But their keeper had an excellent game.

• Interesting how we shouldve scored twice in the first half, is that the tactics working?

• We are definitely winning the shoulda coulda woulda table this year, and that ain't nothin'.

• From the tearful applause to Bill to the cheering at Horgans substitution Wycombe fans are brilliant and scum in the same afternoon.

In previous seasons we’ve contributed to an atmosphere that encourages the side to keep going and have witnessed late goals too often as a result. The lack of support towards our players today was awful.

• I've seen Horgan described as "National League level" today. No one does hyperbole quite like football fans.

• Not sure about using fans to describe that kind of comment. Not sure how the actions today will help him play better next time we need him. Found it disgraceful and disrespectful.

• That’s harsh, but it really wasn’t his day. I can’t think of a good moment all game from him. Probably due to lack of game time, he’s a rhythm player. But I’d still like to see Kaikai starting ahead of him.

• Realise I’m going over old ground here. Firstly if only we could get some middle way where we had a drummer who drummed when appropriate not throughout the 90 minutes I’m sure that will tremendously improve the atmosphere

Secondly Rob has mentioned a revamping of the valley end of the ground possibly next summer. Whether that will still go ahead as a matter of a conjecture but certainly the difference in the level of the acoustics between opposing ends always has been very marked since the building of the away end in its present form

• Agreed - and I think Kaikai is our best crosser bar JJ

• There was a moment Horgan was running through the middle, and Mehmeti failed to get the ball through to him.

It was disappointing, but I must admit I also thought there's no way Horgan would have picked it up, motored 30 yards through and finished.

• Why don't we put the drummer in a gantry on the roof of the terrace. Out of harms way and atmosphere generated. Problem solved.

• The pedantic answer to your pedantic question is - "but we didn't score".

We got 0 pts, Plymouth got 3.

• Because the problem wasn't him being close to other fans, but a seeming refusal to use the drum as an aid to the singing, not a permanent thrashing that overpowered it.

But we've done this to death.

• Bloody hell, don't tell me it's got so bad people want the bloody drummer back !!

Now I'm back (when I said I wasnt going to tonight) what got me today was how bad our corners, free kicks and crossing was ! It drives me mad as a grumpy old man that a professional footballer who trains all week can't cross a ball !

For the last few years I've always thought when we were a goal down we could/would come back and equalize, that feeling today deserted me, never thought it would happen