Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• For sure! There are other interesting stories about which teams gave kits to which other teams, such as how Aston Villa's kit ended up being copied by West Ham and Burnley, or Forest giving Arsenal their red kit (though I think this may be disputed now?).

• @ChasHarps Did you go to the 1-1 draw at Elland Road? If so, that must have sparked some emotion.

• No, I have never been to Elland Road.

Like I said, have had little of no interest in the Peacocks for the last 30 years.

The last time I saw Leeds play was the year they won the league under Howard Wilkinson, at Roker Park. I was visiting friends in Crook, and wanted to Tikov the famous Roker roar.

The thing is apart from a woolen or silk scarf, and the odd badge Wanderers had very little in terms of merchandise to offer enthusiastic kids In the 70's and most of the 80's. So by having the home and away Leeds kits as well as the tracksuit, you could appear more fanatical than you actually were.

It leads me onto the shop called Bojo's in Bull Lane, for a period in the late 70's and early 80's they were flogging genuine shirts of struggling top flight clubs ridiculously cheap, I bought the classic Sunderland lecoq sportif shirt, as well as a Leeds one. There were also Coventry and Norwich tops. So bizarrely it appeared those clubs had a decent following around Wycombe in those days, when in truth, it was kids getting there hands on a genuine footy shirt for peanuts.

• You know this is the "other football" thread don't you

• Agreed.

At school two teams was pretty much wide spread.

Local club and big club.

Clearly hopefully for Wycombe's new generations of kids, Wycombe will become one and the same!

• I have no idea what a Towsnend-ism is, so I guess not.

In and around Wycombe - born and raised in Great Kingshill, lived in Buckingham, Loudwater and Hazlemere and now live on Hatters Lane.

• @wwfcblue I posted a few days ago about standing on the terrace at QPR close to the electricity python (aka pylon), that would have been in the 70s (we used to go to games on and off but for less than 2 seasons).

• We used to sit but I can’t remember much as I was only 4/5 at the time in the 70’s.

I tend to look for the result more than most other teams but the love was all but lost in August 2001 and then completely severed in December 2001.

Never looked back and would not have changed it for the world. Sometimes I have to pinch myself how lucky we are to have such a great club with so much history and great people at the helm and on the pitch. These are golden times.

• edited August 2022

According to Andy Townsend, everything in football exists or happens "in and around" - although he did get outdone by Frank Sinclair, who once said that Thiago Silva had "young legs in and around him" at the back for Chelsea.

I knew what you meant, just impossible not to read that in Andy Townsend's voice (tbf, I do think he's a good pundit).

• I too used to go to Loftus Road. Was a very keen supporter and often travelled away in the mid to late 70s. My dad used to take me in the 1960s, (part of my fortnightly visits as my parents split when I was 18 months), so I think they were the days of the Thomas brothers, Les Springet, Mr Keen snr, Big Bob Hazel. Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh were a little later I think? I believe that Dave sexton was their manager. It was following QPR that I developed my vomit inducing dislike for Lu'on Town. Hated them then and hate the ground even more now! When will they ever cater for people over five foot?

• I love the Townsend. In and around is an all time classic.

As is "that's better".

You're in safe hands with Townsend.

• Great result for Kevin Betsy’s Crawley tonight.

• Also, try and see the sensational OG that put Haifa into the champions league group stages!

• Wycombe, and live football in a stadium was for some of us, and will continue to be a welcome second time choice for many Wycombe fans and non-locals, not surprising in an age where much of the press have forgotten smaller clubs exist and you can watch every game, training session and press conference for the bigger ones without getting off your backside or committing a lot of money, but not be able to get near, visit or influence them in any meaningful way.

• Yeah, I didn’t realise they’d been struggling that much in the league though (lost 4 out of 5 league games) - hopefully this result can revitalise them, and keep KB in good stead.

• Enjoying this thread. Moved to Nottingham in 1972 and went with my brother to watch both County and Forest, to see what they were like. County had just been promoted from the Fourth Division to the Third Division and Forest were in the Second Division. I think Dave Mackay was managing Forest and they had the wonderful Ian Storey-Moore playing. We stood on the open Bridgford End terrace and decided that we would watch Forest in preference to County.

Built up some affinity to Forest then in 1975 Mr Clough arrived and after a couple of years the whole club took off with trips to Wembley, a league title and two European Cups.

season ticket holder at Wycombe for ten or more years, Trust member and delighted to follow both clubs. Love football.

• Good day for Gibraltar today - U17s beat Liechtenstein 8-2. Jaiden Bartolo with a 30 minute hat-trick and James Scanlon (who plays for the English Manchester United) bagged 2 goals too.

Figured I'd clarify about Scanlon being at the English Man Utd because Jaiden Bartolo plays for the Gibraltarian club Manchester 62, who formed at Manchester United Gibraltar in 1962 and changed their name a few years ago to avoid crossing UEFA.

• Unlikely perhaps but does anyone by any chance know what is going on with trains to Blackpool the weekend of Fleetwood away? Seems to not be available yet as Avanti West Coast don't know how many staff are likely to turn up but do they normally cancel everything or a bit here and there?

• Sunderland losing their manager to Stoke seems a bit odd but their owners are loaded.

https://twitter.com/SunderlandAFC/status/1563140667005702144?t=diXCv_-P-Z2CdIWYdJpm5g&s=19

• Seems a strange step. I would have thought Sunderland was a better set-up than Stoke and with more potential, but the Potteries does seem to have some sort of attraction for managers.

• I'd much rather manage Sunderland than Stoke.

• Stoke have been a premier league club a lot more recently haven't they? And achieved much better finishes than Sunderland, who typically when they were up there were battling relegation most years.

• But Stoke have shown little sign of returning to Pulis heights have they? A dull sort of outfit.

• Fairly abusive aggressive fans, long ball, physical, dull are the things that strike me with Stoke.

Might be quite harsh, but when we played them at our ground their fans were a bit abusive - probably not helped by putting them in the family stand if I remember correctly? And in the away game they raised merry hell about that 0-0 when we had Steve Jones up front kind of out Stoking stoke with his physicality.

Watching Stoke play under Pulis was hard work. You start to wonder if that's how other fans see us!

But at least we have never just been a team of brutes, or resorting to using towels and long throws. Bar that very brief Richard Harris era at least!!

• Probably warmer in Stoke so he saves on his heating bills. 😁.

• Money is the root of all evil. No doubt Neil will double his salary.