Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• MK Dongs & PNL still struggling 🤣 both of them only managing draws today

• Absolutely bonkers game between Newcastle and City

• And some people suggest the premier league isn't worth watching 🤣

• Decent read on pyro at footy grounds and why it's really F-ing stupid: https://theathletic.com/3522559/2022/08/21/english-football-illegal-flares-action/

• Liverpool are a disgrace, bringing the mood of the nation down

• This week's big team in crisis.

Although Chelsea did their best to take the award.

• Waiting for the "Ainsworth to Liverpool?" thread......🤔

• edited August 2022

I am intrigued by how invested in other teams, especially those in the premier league, some of our fans seem to be & not just our fans but fans of many tier3 & below clubs.

Personally I struggle to be, even vaguely, interested in what happens at Arsenal or Spurs or Liverpool or the Manc Clubs or Chelsea. Seriously I couldn't care any less about them, their fans or their players. I am disinterested in their progress throught he season as, other than a very slim chance we might draw one of them in the FA or EFL Cup, it has zero impact on us. Likewise we are never going to be in the market for one of their first team squad & after the Bishop fiasco will we risk trying to reach a loan agreeement with any of them. Similarly they are broadly highly unlikely to be in the market for one of our players at least for a while until the development squad approach beds in a bit more.

To be truthfull, the performance of Wigan Warriers, Edinburgh RFC, Ineos Grenadiers & Middlesex CCC are much more important to me than what happens in Tier 1 of the football pyramid.

So can I ask why do any of you care?

• A bit old school @DevC there.

I like football so I keep an eye on it...cannot say I am vastly 'invested' in the Premier League (more interesting this season as my hometown club is involved) but there is something entertaining in a 'big club' being handed it's bottom by the likes of Brighton or Brentford surely @Erroll_Sims

Yet again it seems the posts of a few people on a subject seem to suggest that a substantial section of the Gasroom is doing something that deserves a sneer?

• @Wendoverman I am sure we all enjoy watching one or other of the supposed Big/Greedy 6 being given a lesson by the supposed lesser teams in the PL, or a top player emulating the sort of stuff we produced in the Sunday pub league, much like we all love to see crashes in downhill skiing or motorsport, but I was more talking about those who have a "second team" etc.

I don't understand it but am happy for others to do it, if that makes them happy (or not in the case of Trevor or Wanderers82).

• That’s a very good question @Erroll_Sims.

in my case, I noticed that a week or two after my retirement in October 1995, a Wycombe match was lined up to be shown on Sky. Can’t recall the opposition or indeed what Cup competition it was. I’m assuming that our league games weren’t televised in those days.

It seems unbelievable now that, in trying to sort out a more or less immediate subscription, I found myself in discussion with the CEO at the time (a lady). Anyway, I remember being slightly disappointed with the match but of course I then had access to a whole wealth of top flight matches. No BT TV then.

I must have watched thousands of hours of Premier League football in the meantime and, from match to match over a long period of time, allegiances and animosities inevitably develop. Favoured clubs (eg Spurs) against unloved ones (putting it politely) - eg Chelsea - make for the most enjoyable viewing (particularly if the former triumph).

• Because I absolutely love football (I'd almost go so far as to say my life revolves around it) and want to watch the highest-quality version of it available. There's a lot wrong with the Premier League and elite level football in general, but the sheer entertainment, as much as anything, is just addictive.

• Not sure those of us who spend hours a day on the Gasroom are in a position to question the habits of others!

• @Erroll_Sims a good question, I could claim to have more than a second team as I was born in Walfamstow, but bought up in Nottingham, when Forest and County were in the doldrums in the early 1970s and everyone seemed to support Dirty Leeds or Liverpool, I decided to go for the Cockernee World Cup winning West Ham of Bobby Moore, Clyde Best, Billy Bonds, etc etc...until I was taken to a Forest match by my then brother in law. I also used to go to Upton Park for matches when I moved back to the East End in the 1980s. Once in Bucks, I witnessed the tail end of Gormania and decided to support the local boys. I keep an eye on the other teams but feel more invested in the Blues now than any of the others. I spend far too much time on the Gasroom, despite it's sometimes detrimental effect on my mental health. It's just so moreish.

• Thanks all especially @ReturnToSenda - I do get the enjoyment factor of watching top level sport being undertaken by the best proponents of that sport, so whilst I may watch the odd PL game or highlights package I really honestly do not care who wins or loses, it is the same when I watch motorsport or athletics, I don't really care as long as it is performed to a top standard.

The bit I was much more interested in was the "second team" thing rather than the general watching of sports.

• @Erroll_Sims i have very little real interest in the Premier League other than I would watch it on tv for free when there is nothing much else on (and I do accept that there is real quality in there sometimes).

But enjoying the occasional bleating and moaning of seemingly entitled fans to their occasional misfortune or temporary downwards trajectory gives me primal pleasure and considerable amusement.

I confess it is not a side of me I’m proud of but I have learnt to live with it.

• I know they could hardly be termed a poor team, Leicester winning to ensure Spurs did not manage their first title for centuries was a recent delight. At our level Pompey and the Mackems struggling to escape the clutches of League One is always entertaining.

• For me it's really quite an easy answer. The first time I ever watched TV in colour was the 1968 European Cup Final between Manchester Utd and Benfica. It was probably the first football match I watched if any kind too.

From then on I've always had a liking for Man Utd, although I've only been to Old Trafford maybe 5 times. However, living in and around Wycombe my whole life I've watched them probably close to a thousand times home and away over the decades.

I see no conflict at all in supporting 2 clubs who's paths are unlikely to ever cross. In fact I don't understand why anyone thinks it's odd.

Different perspectives I suppose @Erroll_Sims

• I was taken to games at Loftus Road in the 1970’s as a very young lad and up until my mid teens was a fervent QPR fan but did not get to games.

In the late 80’s, early 90’s I was allowed to go to town to watch games but not West London for QPR matches, I had two teams who were five divisions apart in 87, fifteen years later we ended up in the same League. At that point I became a one club man.

Like you it is possible to support two teams due to circumstance and position, however if United regularly crossed paths with us then you’d be making a choice. 💙

• Enjoying these answers, especially "fifteen years later we ended up in the same League. At that point I became a one club man". You made the noble choice.

• Oh yeah, my 'second teams' are either non-League or overseas

• Although my team has always been the Wanderers, my league team growing up was Dirty Leeds, If the Wanderers didn't have a game, or for Birthday treats, i was sometimes taken to see Leeds in London, v Arsenal or QPR. But I had the misfortune of following both teams as they were on the way down from there heyday. As Brian Lee departed Wycombe descended into relative mediocrity in the mid to late 70's, whilst Leeds slowly developed into a basement team, and when they sold my hero Joe Jordan along with Gordon McQueen to United, it was only a matter of time before they went down.

I have absolutely no interest in Leeds these days, and haven't for about 30 years.

• I always like Hibs in Scotland growing up, and found out as a teen that we had a not-so-distant relative (though distant enough to be Scottish instead of Irish!) who played for both Edinburgh sides in the 60s and early 70s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Shevlane

Needless to say, I like to see both clubs do well now.

• Ditto my favourite Leeds player was Billy Bremner, i was taken to my first Wycombe game in 1974 and haven't looked back since.

• edited August 2022

Was "in and around Wycombe" a deliberate Towsnend-ism?

• I love the stories behind some of the links between clubs too, which appear random on the surface but are sometimes quite moving, as in the case of Drogheda in Ireland and Trabzonspor in Turkey.

• And the link between Juventus and Notts County of course.