Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• Maybe, just maybe Tyla will be "The Goalkeeper" and will perform beyond GAs expectations and nail down a starting birth. We would still need another keeper then but a bench warming one aka Dickinson last season.

The only unfortunate consequence I can see in all of this, is that some fans will be frothing at the mouth if he makes the slightest of errors. I really hope he doesn't end up being the drone army's chosen player to berate this season.

I'm looking forward to the match tomorrow, first one of the season for my son and I, another ground for him to tick off. Only 25 to go after this and he's only 14! Bit gutted we're away for the Barnsley game.

COYB!

• Let me be clearer then, this is a risk. Ainsworth did not think Dickinson was No1 and was chasing Bishop. So to not have your target in place by the start of the season , with clearly no indication when or if we are going to get him, Ainsworth in my view is playing a risky strategy. Not sure I’ve ever reached @Wanderers82 negativity but I will post my views and not necessarily follow the crowd.

• edited August 2022

If he is then that's even better than bringing someone in. Something particularly satisfying about a goalkeeper, above any other position, coming through the ranks. I'd love nothing more than for him to be the next Forino/Mehmeti, but let's see!

• "clearly no indication of when or if we are going to get him"

You're confusing 'things you don't know' with 'things no-one knows'

• You were doing so well until you got to the 'I will declare my truth whatever obstacles are put in my way' bit at the end.

• edited August 2022

There could even be a positive to being forced to play Tyla for a few weeks - the defence might find that extra level owing to a sense of protectiveness. That is not to say they were letting everyone through like a matador with Stockdale behind them, but I can imagine a heightened mentality with a younger keeper between the sticks.

Not that this defence really need to gel, but it may not hurt with getting up to mid-season speed.

• Of course playing a young inexperienced 'keeper is a risk, but to gain experience that risk has to be taken at some point. Even the greatest players start out inexperienced and stayed that way until somebody took a risk and played them.

Nathan Bishop made his EFL debut as a sub in League 1 with Southend and went on to play the following two seasons for them, when he was younger than Tyla Dickinson is now. He is only 1-2 years older than Dickinson. Since signing for Man U, his league experience has been on loan in League 2. If he is as good as people think/hope he is, I would have expected him to have been loaned out at a higher level to advance his career.

Which would benefit Dickinson and Wycombe more, another year warming the bench while we develop somebody else's goalkeeper, or our 'keeper getting League 1 playing experience? It may not have been plan A, but you have to adapt to the situation that exists, not dwell on what might have been.

• Spot on BLUENOTES. Gareth will pick 11 players on Saturday to play against Bolton. They will all share the joint responsibility of being WWFC's team, whether they have played only one match before or have been playing for over 10 years. Our supporters should just enjoy watching their team play. During the coming season they will Win Matches, Draw Matches and will loss matches. During these Games Goals will be conceded , and Goals Missed. Different players will play in various positions , and the style of play will change. This current talk of the need of a Goal keeper to replace TD is not helpful , The Team need OUR Support. COYB's

• edited August 2022

I'm a still struggling to understand this school of thought that says suggesting we need a new goalkeeper (because we do, and we're going to get one) = not supporting the team.

• Who "doesn't" think we need a new goalkeeper?

All we're saying is calm down, Gaz will have the situation in hand, he's not an idiot.

• Didn’t a certain Matty Ingram come back from a Conference South loan and end up being thrown in for a game, but ended up playing something like 100 consecutive games for us? Or am I making that up! Not saying the same will happen here but it’s certainly not unheard of.

• edited August 2022

If Bolton’s shots/shots on target (5/1) at Portman Road are anything to go by, he’ll have another quiet afternoon. That may be wishful thinking, of course!

Not sure which fans constitute the Drone Army but the warmth and support of the Terrace Dwellers last Saturday encourages me to think that, especially as a fellow youngster, he’s unlikely to be scapegoated. Certainly hope not as confidence is arguably a bigger factor for a goalkeeper than for an outfield player.

in Tyla we trust.

• I didn’t remember that at all, but it seems realistic based on the COTN profile for Ingram:

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/players/ingram_matt.htm

• Drone army is probably the best gasroom phrase, aside from shimmering ape.

• This lad has been built up so much, I can't see it taking much before many are bashing the Bishop.

• We've come so far we are recycling jokes from.pages 1 to 5.😁😁😂😂

• He wasn't on the bench today for Man U Heaton was.

• Hopefully, they'll realise they need a new number 1 and free up Bishop

• Was going to say. I did that gag about 8 weeks ago now :😓

• Not one to poke the bear, but even i would have expected us to sign someone by now.

• I'd take an actual bear in goal at this rate

• A Polar one would struggle on Saturday if the forecast is correct!

• I think it's highly embarrassing for all stakeholders involved at this point.

• We're getting there aren't we? I've seen enough careless and incompetent Wycombe managers to know GA isn't one, but i'm really surprised by his approach to this situation.

• We are only two games into the season but it does seem a little surprising that we are prepared to wait so long for a loanee GK unless 1) the management rate Tyla highly and wanted to give him some first team games to test his ability and/or 2) there is more to the Bishop deal than just a loan. If we believe there is a strong chance of signing him permanently, developing and then selling on, surely it would be worth waiting. If he is just a loan keeper and there is another one from another club of similar standard available, harder to understand why we wouldn't switch.

As always GA has made enough good decisions over the year to earn the right to be trusted here when he clearly knows the facts and we don't.

• Has Bishop actually been tested at our level?

• You're exactly right Dev. And the longer this has been allowed to go on for, the more i'm expecting a permanent deal.

• Although his deal at United ends in 2023 they have an option for a further year so I don’t think a permanent transfer is likely.