Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• Can he play in goal? We still haven’t got a No 1 goalkeeper.

• Long game on both.

• Yes we have, and he will remain as No 1. until the club have somebody that the manager considers to be a better No 1.

• Just because he played one game doesn’t mean he’s No 1. Ainsworth’s been chasing Bishop for weeks , so clearly saw Dickinson as back up for the season. Bishop wasn’t coming to sit on the bench!!!

• Good squads have at least two quality options in every position.

Currently we have one in goal and until we get a second he’ll do for me.

• Not at lower league levels surely.

Two "quality" keepers at the same time is probably only something we've had once in about 20 years in the league

And no I don't mean Cheesewright and Parkin!

• We also have no idea if Dickinson is quality or not

• We had Allsop and Stockdale as recently as two years ago but that is unusual. Currently we have a young lad who is showing enough potential to stay at the club and that alone for me give a certain confidence he’s a decent keeper.

I just don’t get why some have to discredit what we have just because we haven’t secured another player to compete.

• Gareth and his coaching team surely do though don’t they? Which when you come to think about it is a lot more important than a load of people on a message board.

• Other than the Allsop + not fully match ready Stockdale combination, I think the only other time since 2010/11 we've had experienced GK cover was when we had Blackman on loan with Brown as #2 in 2016/17. 2012/13 was a bit of a funny year with Bull leaving, Archer in on loan and then Ingram taking over for the last few games of the season. The back up keepers in those years have been Arnold, Ingram, Horlock, Lynch, YMK, Yates and Przybek. So it does look like the Ainsworth strategy is a more estabilshed #1, young #2 then emergency loans if #1 gets injured.

• edited August 2022

They have more of an idea than us, but no one really knows - he's played 90 minutes of professional football and had one (barely even a) save to make. That's not dismissing him, simply making the point that it's a risky, uncertain situation that they won't have wanted to be in.

• i think it’s fair to assume we are waiting for Bishop, and that might be another 3 weeks or so. For now, given the lack of experience of our keepers, it would be quite straightforward to get an emergency loan in. We’ve done it before. But we are pointedly not doing that.

Dickinson was promoted to number 2 last season over Pryzbek, and given our previous dealings with young keepers (I.e., quite ruthlessly releasing them without playing), Dickinson is obviously rated. If the management think he deserves his chance, then so be it.

• I thought you could only get emergency loans in the event of injury leaving you short of senior GKs?

• I believe the club would have to present a case for why it's in an emergency which has left the team without a senior GK, not sure "we haven't got around to signing anyone yet" would necessarily be persuasive enough.

• 58 EMERGENCY GOALKEEPER LOAN

58.1 If all the Professional Goalkeepers at a Club are unavailable as a result of having been:

58.1.1 certified by an independent medical practitioner as being unfit to play;

58.1.2 suspended; or

58.1.3 called up to play for his national association representative matches in accordance with the requirements of FIFA as laid down from time to time,

a Club may register (either before or after the deadlines laid down in Regulations 44.2 and 44.3), a further goalkeeper on a short term basis in accordance with the following provisions.

Guidance

A Professional Goalkeeper is a goalkeeper (excluding any goalkeeper registered as a Non-Contract Player) who has been named in the starting eleven on five or more occasions by:

• any Club (or Premier League club) in any matches in the relevant league or first team cup competitions (other than the EFL Trophy); and/or
    • any other club in a professional league in that club’s home association (by way of example, any division of the Scottish Professional Football League, or Serie A, B or C).

58.2 The Club must supply to The League written evidence to demonstrate the circumstances set out in Regulation 58.1 apply, together with the appropriate form(s) for his registration and The League having confirmed that the circumstances conform to the provisions of this Regulation:

58.2.1 in respect of any fixture played on a weekday when the Office is normally open, at least three hours before the match; or

58.2.2 in respect of any other fixture:

(a) 12 noon on the day of the match; or

(b) at least three hours before the match,

whichever is the earlier.

Guidance

Medical evidence cannot be accepted from anyone connected to the Club, nor is it acceptable to obtain a report from another Club’s club doctor.

If a Player has been removed from play in line with the concussion protocols then this will be accepted as evidence of the Players unavailability.

Goalkeepers that have been deemed unavailable cannot be named on a Team Sheet during the loan period.

Goalkeepers on an Emergency Goalkeeper loan may be recalled by their Parent Club during the period of the loan in exceptional circumstances and subject to the approval of the League (i.e. as per the similar rights in the context of Standard Loans of goalkeepers).

Clubs should be aware that the Premier League does not permit Premier League Clubs to send goalkeepers on seven day emergency loans into the EFL.

58.3 The period of any Emergency Goalkeeper Loan:

58.3.1 shall be for a period of seven days, inclusive of the starting date and finishing date; and

58.3.2 may be renewed for seven days at a time, subject to compliance with Regulation 58.2 in respect of each proposed renewal.

58.4 Any goalkeeper registered under the provisions of this Regulation must be included in the starting 11 on the Team Sheet, and must start the Match

58.5 The provisions of Regulation 55.4.2 shall not apply to an Emergency Goalkeeper Loan.

• Seeing as we don't have any goalkeepers unavailable under the conditions described in 58.1 I don't believe we are eligible for an emergency loan.

• 58.2 was what I meant by having to present a case

• As of now, we could surely take a GK as a regular one month loan if Bishop was unlikely to arrive until September, so no need for an emergency loan. Presumably GA either believes Bishop will arrive before that or is comfortable in Tyla's ability to remain our GK for the next few games at least.

By the time the regular loan window closes, if we haven't signed a GK in the meantime, Tyla would have become a "professional GK" and hence the emergency loan would be possible if but only if he got injured.

• I think 'standard' loans can only be for half a season or for a full season.

• But looking at the rules the parent club is allowed to recall goalkeepers on a standard loan during the season, with league approval and if you only have one goalkeeper available.

• edited August 2022

Quite. That is the one example in 20 years I was meaning.

No one is trying to discredit the lad. It's good he's had a taste of the action and come through it.

But a lot of us recognise that we fell a bit short last year, and have lost 2 major starters, and not replaced them with like for like yet.

• That's a lovely supportive post sentiment, it really is.

But just not based on anything we're led to believe - which is that we're trying very hard to bring another keeper in!

Unless you believe that Gareth saying the situation is in hand and there's no panic ,is meaning Tyla is the plan of choice!

• @Malone two points

'No one is trying the discredit the lad' Not sure about that based on some of the posts.

'Lost 2 major starters and not yet replaced them' Agree totally but it is a squad game and everyone has a part to play. Tyla's is coming early as the management get the right replacement rather than a replacement.

• Ok I'll accept that - "most of us" aren't trying to discredit him :)

And of course, any old keeper is no advantage, it has to be a quality one. But usually we get such a key position sorted early.

It's one thing talking about picking up good players late on, but not in goal - that's so important.

• He's said he's a "great keeper", not plan A but no panic if needed, presumably only for a few games but if he has a few good games then maybe he's worthy of a few more.

In reality despite a few more pages here we don't know any more. Should it backfire by him having bad games, or Bishop turning up elsewhere the management will maybe look to have got it wrong but they know that risk and seem comfortable with it.

• Not sure I would agree that Wycombe Wanderers reaching the play off final in League One of the football league can ever be described as falling "a bit short".

Thanks Chris, I hadn't realised that one month loans no longer exist but I suppose with transfer windows that makes sense. Does look like the window for a temporary loan may have gone now and it is either Tyla or a GK with us until 2023.

• edited August 2022

For the much heralded plan of gaining promotion to championship, as per the Couhig's and Gareth, then not being promoted is exactly that - falling a little short.

It's to their immense credit that we're even thinking like that as our level of club of course.

But it seems unlikely that we will improve on last year having lost key starters.

Forino can replace Stewart over the short term, but can he start 40 games a season? He hasn't even got a 100% record 1 game in.

And the keeper situation, we've done to death.

• I guess short term contracts for out of contract players still a thing if not the most attractive offer

• At least Tyla Dickinson can boast a clean sheet, which is more than the bedwetters can

We'll have a new keeper by the end of the month, and we'll be challenging for promotion by the end of the season. Everyone calm down and enjoy this magnificent team we are lucky enough to support