Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• Am I supposed to find not finding out who is playing until an hour before kick-off annoying? I missed that meeting.

• If Bishop does not make it and someone else plays, it will either be a great debut, okay but we still need a Number 1, or Happy Trevor /Wanderers82 Day. None of which signals the end of our promotion hopes.

• do you actually think Dickinson will start tomorrow?

• While I agree with everything that has been said about Man Utd, that it is a club that has had a Golden Generation and has struggled to continue that course as the tactics, technology and data has looked to continue to improve performance and the development of their players. It has also shown that the lack for funding on the training ground and stadium is now being fully felt. While the Glazers have spent big in players (rightly and wrongly), they have been negligible on matters off the pitch.

However, with that being said, I think the club has also struggled with the continual change in their management. I get that they haven't matched or bettered Sir Alex's time in charge, but I don't think anyone will! Due to all of this change, the club has struggled to change its pathways and techniques to match the different manager's preferences. What I'm getting at is that Man Utd should have selected their manager better after Sir Alex and should have left him time to bed in his processes and tactics before making a cut. Sir Alex wasn't remotely successful until his 4th season at the club. That time needed to be shared with his replacement.

• @Otter87 continuity and patience with the manager bringing success? Sounds like a plan.

• Not this old myth.

It's right up there with shirt sales covering the price of signings 😀

• Disagree. Why is it annoying to keep the opposition guessing? Would you rather we sent them our line up 24 hours before kick off and gave them our game plan as well? I speak to lots of managers in my job and believe me they are all reticent to give their team news even on the morning of the game and I totally understand why.

As for your comments about the club’s recruitment and comms team that is nonsense. No club official has said anything about signing Bishop, at this stage it’s pure speculation.

• Meanwhile in America..

Lackey - Mr Glazer, urgent call for you.

Wycombe want you to sign off Bishop.

Glazer - Who wants to do what now?

• @glasshalffull Burton know we're playing a goalkeeper tomorrow. I'd argue there's no advantage to them really knowing for sure whether it's Dickinson or Bishop. They'll be preparing to face either anyway!

If we wanted to follow that tactic we should kept a flair player like Mellor up our sleeve and announced that at 2pm tomorrow instead. It'd be far more likely to have a bearing on the game.

• Given you're a former director of comms at the club, I can't work out if you're being obtuse or naïve. It's not what you say on the record to journalists that builds or knocks down a story. It's the steer you give off the record. If the Bishop deal was not "imminent" then they should have called their client journalist at the BFP and briefed him so. And they certainly shouldn't have put out clips of the manager saying so. It really is comms 1-oh-1. Don't over promise and under deliver.

• @Malone Any news you can share with us regarding transfers as you seemed to be insinuating you are “in the know” for the last few weeks ?

• Looks like there could be a few sources for the Pete Couhig leak test from what I've read in the last few pages.

• I read earlier that Bishop wasn't in the Man Uniuted XI that played Wrexham last night so who knows what's happening with him,it might be he'll be introduced to fans on the pitch before the game tomorrow.

• GA has been very consistent on his goalkeeper messaging. Even today (presumably recorded yesterday) he said: "Stockdale needs replacing. That's in hand. I don't want anyone to worry about that one..." That would've been the time for some expectation setting, or rowing back. And yet, it's as unequivocal a message as ever. He's clearly nailed his colours to the mast, so we have to expect it to happen.

• Then introduced to his team mates.......interesting

• There are a lot of Utd fan(?) twitter messages saying that he has signed for us on loan. Obviously not the same as an official announcement but I do think its reasonable to assume that we wish to sign Bishop with the expectation that the deal would be through in time for tomorrow.

I would imagine there is a plan B (another keeper on loan) if the deal has fallen through. The fact we haven't announced a Plan B signing would suggest that we are still working to Plan A.

Plan C will probably be to play Dickinson in goal tomorrow if the i's aren't dotted in time. Still may go pear-shaped, but as of 25 hours until kick off I think its fair to say that the club are trying their best and, if it doesn't ultimately go through I am sure it is for the best interests of the club.

We will, I'm sure, have a new keeper by a week tomorrow, either Bishop or someone else of an expected similar calibre.

Cant see why the recruitment and comms team should take any flak for any of this (unless of course someone comes along and demonstrates that there never was any intention of us to sign Bishop in the first place).

• It's probably not annoying for you because you know all the players, management, staff at the club so doubtless know everything that's going on whether it's announced publicly or not

This is our obsession. Look how much time we all spend on here FFS. How much money and time we spend following us up and down the counter, how long we spend trawling the net for articles, interviews, highlights etc

It's annoying when we don't know who's injured or not because of some perceived advantage it gives us which I don't think even exists

• Naivety is wanting to make public information that could assist the opposition. At no stage do I recall the manager saying that we were about to sign Bishop, apologies if he did. If club media officers were to respond to everything said on social media there wouldn’t be enough hours in the day. Incidentally, how do you know that our media team didn’t brief the BFP as to whether the Bishop story is true or false?

• I don’t agree. Using our last two keepers as an example, it was widely accepted that Allsopp wasn’t as good as Stockdale when it came to dealing with crosses. Some keepers are better with others with the ball at their feet, some are predominantly left footed, others right footed. If there is a similar disparity between any of the keepers we start tomorrow that would help Burton prepare accordingly. You would be surprised at the level of detail that coaches go into before a game.

• I don't know. But it wouldn't bother me at all if he did. In fact I am looking forward to seeing him

• edited July 2022

I'd be very bothered. I'm a bit surprised people are so relaxed about this.

• I think we're a long way down the line with our management/coaching team and we should trust them and relax.

• I'd never have had you down as such a Trevor @ReturnToSenda. On Saturday, we'll put out 11 players and I'll be there to cheer them on whoever they are. As long as none of them are Diving Danny Hylton. Genuinely can't understand all the fuss.

• Did I say I wouldn't be behind them? I'm just concerned that we're about to start the season without replacing one of the best goalkeepers we've ever had.

• It's pretty clear to me that whoever started this thread is to blame for this whole farrago.

• The negativity in this thread, and in general is astounding. I wouldn’t be surprised if we left it til 2.00pm tomorrow til we announced Bishop as a result.

• Can't see the fuss at the prospect of a totally green kid starting in goal? Throw in Stewart leaving, Forino maybe being out, and it's not the firmest combo back there.

However, it is Burton, so I'm actually relaxed having said that. And as long as the mid and attacking boys are on top form we'll be golden.

• Nice to see you come round to my way of thinking there.