Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• The one signature that Rob Couhig has alluded to for Bishop to sign, is unfortunately that of the Glaziers, and they are currently in the States.

There are now concerns within the club that we are being strung along over the Bishop signing. I wonder at what point do they move onto a different target

We all know Bobby C, likes to over hype things, but the close season is when fans want to get excited by new players signing, as of yet its been pretty dismal.

• At the point I’m thinking Tyla will be in goal tomorrow.

• edited July 2022

You can't seriously be suggesting in this day and age that you can't get a signature from someone overseas within a few seconds?

Or even that the Glazers have to sign off every minor youngster's loan!

• Totally agree. To believe the Glazers are holding up this deal is ludicrous. Also, if this deal does not materialise for Bishop , I’m confident our management have the appropriate contingency in place. However to use @ReturnToSenda expression , today’s the day.

• Would be very odd if the Chief Exec, Sporting Director, Manager, Company secretary and Head of the Youth setup couldn't agree to loan out a young player between them without Director's having to give the Ok, wether that's a nod or a signature, but they are quite an odd setup... Although perhaps best not dig into that too deep into that until it's over the line.

• Why did Rob Couhig indicate it needs one signature ?

A signing was due to be announced on Monday, it's being held up, WWFC are being fed the line they are waiting for the Glaziers seal of approval, but the doubt is starting to creep in.

• Not saying it's not true, just a bit odd, could easily be the manager not giving the nod until another goalie signs or proves fitness, or the player having second thoughts. Quite unusual anyway at our level where you'd hope common sense would take precedent or nothing come out but Prem clubs do tend to have these things run a bit and impose their self importance. Beggers and choosers.

• Sorry, I haven’t seen where Couhig said this. Must have missed it. Where and when?

• I think you’ve jumped to a few conclusions here Chas unless you have inside information.

• edited July 2022

For starters it's the GLAZERS not the GLAZIERS.

And to suggest GLAZER even has a clue who Bishop is, let alone insists on rubber stamping such a small time transaction is hilarious.

They employ numerous people on incredible salaries to do such day to day tasks.

If it was signing off an 80m deal yes. Signing off the 5th choice keeper on loan to Wycombe, no.

And who ever said Bishop was due Monday? We DID sign a keeper Monday, just a development one.

• That was the position last night, and the information was relayed to me via a reliable source, who had been in direct contact with Mr Couhig.

Whether the situation changes in the next 24 hours, we will have to see. But the delay is clearly frustrating those at the top.

• Hopefully we're not about to look very stupid

• Why would we, they've obviously decided he's worth the risk if they've decided to play chicken rather than go elsewhere.

Also if Tylah is going to sit on the bench for the whole year it's not exactly a stretch for him to play one or two games now if it comes to it.

• A team with promotion ambitions shouldn't be starting the season without having replaced their (quality) number 1 goalkeeper

• Not much better to pull out of a deal for the goalie you want just to keep the PR flowing.

They could easily have made offers elsewhere and I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't have other things lined up in case.

Utd have had a lot of change in staff and the squad have just come back from Oz, no reason to suspect it won't sort itself out.

• edited July 2022

Let's hope so, because as things stand, the season kicks off in a little over 28 hours and we're going to have to start someone who's never played above the eighth tier in goal (yes, of course he could be another Mehmeti/Forino, but it's far from an ideal situation and people are right to have their concerns).

• United are a shambles of organisation. Maybe the one signature we're waiting on is something to do with them being on the Stock Exchange. Slows everything down

• Maybe we're waiting for Ronaldo to give the green light. Maybe he's decided he'll only commit to Manchester United if they show their intent by keeping hold of Bishop.

Or more likely, Wycombe are up to their old tricks of keeping back information until the team sheet is lodged at 2pm, in order to keep the opposition guessing. One of the club's more annoying traits.

If Bishop isn't on the team sheet tomorrow the club's recruitment and comms teams both have serious questions to answer. No matter how much of a club apologist you are, going into the season without a number one keeper is shambolic, especially given all the opportunities the club have had to dial back expectations.

• Shambles. Your having a laugh. One of the biggest clubs in the world, one of largest incomes, one of the most successful. Yes have struggled on the pitch of recent, but certainly not shambolic

• edited July 2022

They are pretty shambolic tbh, have lagged behind most other clubs their size in terms of modern football advances

• I notice there isn't even a 'Team News' section on the preview anymore

• Pretty shambolic? Return to Senda can you explain how they have lagged behind most other clubs of their size in terms of ‘modern football advances’. What are these ‘modern football advances’?

• The panic level is getting health threatening. Stay safe.

Tyla is a good goalkeeper. We'll be absolutely fine. I'm looking forward to seeing what a year's worth of investment has done.

• edited July 2022

Widely known that they were slow to pick up on the clear benefits of data analytics - not to mention their questionable transfer strategy (Ronaldo has to go down as one of the worst signings in modern PL history - he made the team so much worse). Managerial appointments since Fergie have all been a bit incongruous, too - EtH the first one who looks like he might actually sort things out.

• edited July 2022

As for the Glazers, there's a video from a year or so back of Avram totally blanking a Sky reporter when asked if he gave a toss about the fans, effectively, before speeding off in his car (this was at the time of the ESL failure). Sums up their attitude (although United fans don't help themselves by being so selective about when to bring the Norwich scarves out).

• edited July 2022

The video (not sure why I can't embed the link) https://youtu.be/7rZFhZZolLw

• By all accounts Utd used to make the most of any club in all categories of match day and non-ticket income and had state of the art systems for everything 20 odd years ago, constantly upgrading and expanding the stadium but investment dried up to the point it has leaky roofs and it's flaking at the edges as thems in charge use a still huge income (supplemented by their US links) to repay the debt they put on it and provide them with dividends and management fees. The super League fall out recharged the efforts to get rid of them that had inevitably died down a bit as they showed no sign of leaving.

They have still provided a large amount for transfers to be piddled away by poor managers.

• Not sure you can blame the Comms team when they've broadcast the manager saying he would have liked to have sorted it earlier but it's all in hand, don't worry about it.

Of course if we need to play a young guy for one or several games and they don't do well it's a gamble that failed.